Where are your favorite places to ride?

I've often used an eBike as a commuter, but lately I've had some friends asking about eBiking trails throughout North America and Europe. I'd love hear your favorite places to ride. No matter the type of trail or path, or even the type of bike required, I'd like to make note of the best rides, and document them as we begin tackling them.

I've seen a few bike trail forum posts before, one in particular from a couple years ago in the Northeastern US:

I look forward to hearing your favorite places to ride!
Friday afternoon ride on the Cape Fear Valley bike and hiking path near Ft. Bragg in Fayetteville, NC

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
I enjoy riding trails on my travels. Since I'm new to ebikes this has all been on non-assisted bikes but I checked some of my favorites to see if they allow e-bikes.

It looks like these do but check specifics as they may change: The Mickelson Trail in South Dakota allows Class 1 and 2 pedal assist bikes. The Katy Trail in Missouri does with a 20 mph speed limit. San Antonio River Hike and Bike Trail allows ebikes but I couldn't find specifics. The Greebrier River Trail in West Virginia allows Class 1 bikes.

Some others don't allow ebikes and I understand this also. Some trails are more crowded or fragile.

I've had quite a bit of luck by searching out low travel areas on Google maps. Using satellite mode to assess terrain and zen attributes. Common sense comes in to target rual/farm utility roads having full two lane width but no painted lane and shoulder lines. Hint: if you play solitaire type games on your phone, this is a similar pass time where a "win" grants a nice bike ride rather than the thrill of watching graphics of cascading cards.

Attachments

• 20220417_105244.jpg
    20220417_105244.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 114
I've had quite a bit of luck by searching out low travel areas on Google maps. Using satellite mode to assess terrain and zen attributes. Common sense comes in to target rual/farm utility roads having full two lane width but no painted lane and shoulder lines. Hint: if you play solitaire type games on your phone, this is a similar pass time where a "win" grants a nice bike ride rather than the thrill of watching graphics of cascading cards.
I know the photo I shared is a road with older painted lines. It's such a zen location that I spent time there last night, sitting on the road side, watching a meteor shower.

I know the photo I shared is a road with older painted lines. It's such a zen location that I spent time there last night, sitting on the road side, watching a meteor shower.
Here is a hint to trigger the memory of some folks. The tranquility of the area is subject to the howitzer training activity at Ft. BRAGG

My favorite areas are along the bike paths that run along the pacific coast. Great temperature year round mostly and lots of people to see, lots of shops and pubs. A most relaxing and active way to spend time alone or with your S/O. Ventura Marina, Ventura Ca. this morning.
1650637952393.png

i pretty much love to ride anywhere i can ride from my front door. i like iteratively exploring a route to refine and find the best parts of it, mixing a little bit of exploration with a little bit of familiarity to track my fitness/riding progress and get to know a place in all it's various weather conditions and seasons.

generally, i avoid mixed use paths and unpaved roads, although i do ride on those for some portion of almost every ride. my favorites are long, windy, hilly coastal backroads which are just big/gradual enough to ride fast on the flats and downhills. luckily we have lots of those around here! big flat coastal and perimeter roads can be fun too. here's my strava heatmap from last year's riding:

i also enjoy riding across our many bridges, although the wind there and on other exposed roads can be pretty brutal almost every afternoon!

final2021heatmap copy.jpg

Prefer non-paved surfaces to all else.
Enjoyed riding all parts of Arizona when I lived there.
It is hard to beat the Moab, UT area, in my opinion.
View attachment 125583View attachment 125584
My wife and I were in Moab last week. It is indeed Mecca for off road enthusiasts.

I was encouraged to see two new e-bike shops since my last visit 2 years ago. The anti-ebike sentiment there appears to be easing somewhat with class 1 bikes now being allowed on several trails in the area.

That’s good to hear.
I see that Western Spirit Cycling tours (and maybe other guided ‘tour’ companies as well) is now offering ebike routes, quite a number of which are in the Moab area.

I have ridden e-bikes in 9 (of 16) Polish provinces, and in North Czech Republic.

View attachment 93094
My personal heatmap.
I used to love riding in the Czech Republic. I kept a Specializes Stumpjumper there and used it when I was there on business, (about 4 weeks a year). I was mostly in the area surrounding Uherske Hradiste, but did some riding near Brno and in the Carpathian Mountains. The bike paths over there are wonderful. I spent a total of 40 weeks there.

I used to love riding in the Czech Republic. I kept a Specializes Stumpjumper there and used it when I was there on business, (about 4 weeks a year). I was mostly in the area surrounding Uherske Hradiste, but did some riding near Brno ang in the Carpathian Mountains. The bike paths over there are wonderful.
I do totally agree!

I don't have any pictures, but ...

I have rail trail in my area that I have still not been able to get to - that I know is going to be a beautiful ride.

But, I recently discovered - just riding my neighborhood is a great ride. The region I live in is beautiful, and the back roads of my neighborhood make for a very nice ride.

Back