When will the '16 ebikes be released?

irenewg13

Region
USA
City
MadCity, Peoples Republic of Madison
Are they featured in most shops?
"Year end" sales?
Anyone have the scoop on any forthcoming style/mechanical changes?

Most of the major brands will show their new stuff at Interbike next month and if last year is any indication there will be a slow release of new product from autumn 2015 to spring 2016. It has been historically slower here in the U.S. than in Europe or Asia.

One major manufacturer, Felt, has actually decided that 2016 will be the last year (for now at least) that they have these pre-production 'new' models. It seems they have responded to the market and dealers indicating that minute changes in current year ebikes and deleting popular models just to produce a 'new' item is not a viable business strategy. Its great to see these potential new ebikes at Interbike; however, my experience has been that those that do make it to market don't do so in a timely fashion which creates a void where customers (who can go to Interbike on the final Friday or see amazing internet advertising) hold back from buying great bikes thinking the new wonder bike will be in their shop at the first of the year! This puts a lot of pressure on shops who want to have a steady flow of sales and happy customers.

Thanks, I was curious about how the marketing cycle works.
Interesting that it is a bike show. What is the general response from exhibitors, and attendees, regarding the ebike manufacturers, et al, being in attendance?

I was thinking that perhaps more manufacturers would be adding throttle override, and torque pedal assist. Is it expensive for the manufacturers to add them, or make the changes?
Thanks
:cool:

Thanks, I was curious about how the marketing cycle works.
Interesting that it is a bike show. What is the general response from exhibitors, and attendees, regarding the ebike manufacturers, et al, being in attendance?

I was thinking that perhaps more manufacturers would be adding throttle override, and torque pedal assist. Is it expensive for the manufacturers to add them, or make the changes?
Thanks
:cool:
If anything throttles are on their way out, the much larger and more mature European ebike market doesn't allow them. We in the U.S. have gotten used to dictating what manufacturers offer on many products due to the size of our economy and buying power, but that's not the case with ebikes. We're lucky to have the speed and power we have since much of the ebike world is stuck with 15 mph and 250 watts by regulation.

Oh folks, throttles are not on the way out. As long as we have laws that protect the 20mph limit on a throttle (and that is a federal law) then look for even more integrated pedal assist and throttle systems. BIG question, for all of you to think about--wrt to the Electric Bike world, why limit riders who want access to an alternative form of transportation that fits the federal standards to do so? This is where our bike shops and riders need to be proactive.

Oh folks, throttles are not on the way out. As long as we have laws that protect the 20mph limit on a throttle (and that is a federal law) then look for even more integrated pedal assist and throttle systems. BIG question, for all of you to think about--wrt to the Electric Bike world, why limit riders who want access to an alternative form of transportation that fits the federal standards to do so? This is where our bike shops and riders need to be proactive.
Ann, you misunderstand my intent. "If anything, throttles are on their way out", if anything. I don't think you will see more and better throttles, manufactures would prefer to supply the same product to all the world, mfg 101, economy and profit of scale. Our market will have to explode to dictate what's offered and that's not happening soon.

Any hard y.o.y. sales numbers on e-bikes? Would be nice to see how fast the trend is moving in say last 5 years.

Back