What was the coldest ride of your life?

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
Maybe that was today!

I was watching the news this evening and the reporter was listing all the services that were shut down in the midwest today. As they showed a commuter train that discontinued service a cyclist went rolling by:eek: At the time the temperature was single digit Fahrenheit. Those temps are dropping like a stone and moving east. At 6:30 PM here in Pennsylvania it's 8°F (-13.3°C) and it will drop below zero tonight. Balmy weather compared to you midwesterners.

No, I didn't ride today. My coldest ride ever was a commute a few years ago. Morning 17 miles at 9°F, evening return was 14°F. I don't think I could've done it without an ebike.

I know we have some hearty souls here on the forum. Whether for fun or commute, what was your coldest ride?

My coldest was 0'F, 2 years ago.
Today it's like -45'F w/windchill in Chicago.
I am not planning biking for the next few days. it is hard on the bike components, (hydraulics, motor bearings, seals etc) and the roads are too slippery/dangerous.

Hehehe... it was tonight coming home at 24f and super blustery---don't know what the wind chill factor was. Hardly in the same league as above, however.

My coldest days riding have been right around 10F-15F. Goggles and over mitts and wind shells are mandatory accessories on such days.

This may sound crazy but I'd happily take a cold but dry day at 0F (or even colder) over 35F and hosing rain.

Windchill is a funny thing. If you cover up properly (no exposed skin) and have decent windproof layers (which can be feather light) you can survive and even have fun. But if you are in a hard rain right at the freezing point you will suffer mightily, even if you go in full Gore-Tex warrior mode.

Just did a short ride home from work at +7f wind chill was negotive obscenity. Thank God I am only like a mile or so from home. My Yukon 750 from volt has given me no trouble so far.

Perhaps you have some altitude? I'm in the Seattle area.

East slope Cascades about 1000 feet off the valley floor. Cold air sinks so those East slope valleys are often the coldest locations in the state.

I can't compete with the hard core riders. My location prohibits riding from home so I don't do short trips. My rides are always planned trips away from home and I generally avoid temps below 32 degrees.

I delivered newspapers part time on my bike when I was a boy. The coldest was +20 or so and I remember it being very unpleasant.

It should be noted that wind chill readings can be deceiving since you create your own while riding. Obviously the trick is to ride down wind which can reduce or eliminate the chilling effect. Riding into the wind can make it much worse however.

A related question. I wear strong prescription glasses and have a sinus problem - so balaclavas just flat out don't work for me. Breathing gets the glasses fogged up and the sinus problem can make a mess or make me stop frequently and blow. I haven't bought my e-bike yet but a couple of near-freezing rides on my me-powered bike showed me the problem real fast, and I imagine the greater speed of an e-bike is not going to help. Does anyone know of any help for this? Is a full helmet w/windscreen my only bet?

A related question. I wear strong prescription glasses and have a sinus problem - so balaclavas just flat out don't work for me. Breathing gets the glasses fogged up and the sinus problem can make a mess or make me stop frequently and blow. I haven't bought my e-bike yet but a couple of near-freezing rides on my me-powered bike showed me the problem real fast, and I imagine the greater speed of an e-bike is not going to help. Does anyone know of any help for this? Is a full helmet w/windscreen my only bet?

I plow snow on a tractor with no cab. Speeds are generally below 15 MPH but the wind chill can be brutal. I also wear glasses and have tried various schemes over the years like ski masks, goggles etc. The best I've found so far is a lightweight snowmobile helmet. Yes, it restricts movement and field of view but it solves the frozen face issue.

I wear ski goggles over prescription glasses when needed. And I use Cat Crap! on all lenses. Nothing is perfect. Lenses stay mostly clear when moving. I tend to adjust my balaclava from full cover to under the nose and under chin as needed. My winter helmet is a Bern with winter liner. I can't tell you how many times I've blown my nose into my waterproof Pearl Izumi gauntlet gloves. Disgusting I know! But honest and it's done by many cyclists.

"Its cold out there, it's cold out there everyday!" I am in PA after all:rolleyes:

I've ridden to the grocery and to work on a friend's house at 6 F. There was ice on the road yesterday so I didn't go anywhere at 2. You've got to wear clothes & serious gloves, and safety glasses are good. Below 10 I wrap the vents in my helmet with saran wrap. There is a welder's helmet liner under it for my ears. Also I put oven mitts over the farmer mittens that are the warmest I can buy without a military ID. I rode Tuesday to my volunteer job at 15 F and a 15 mph headwind; good to have electricity that day.
I've maneuvered & slept in the Army at 18 below F & 40 mph wind, so I have experience wearing clothes. Oil in the crankcases would jelly up, we had to leave the motors idling all night. A couple of Cummins engines stalled anyway and had to be towed in to the warm garage. The maintenance tents weren't warm enough in that wind to liquify motor oil.
Bobsiii, at 18 below in the military I just wore my fur lined hood tied up under my chin and my perscription glasses. Non-issue eyewear wasn't permitted. In Reforger '79 the major said that since military trucks don't have heaters, they drove around Germany in the snow with the windshields folded up. My eyes nose & lips didn't freeze. But the spaghetti did in my spoon between the tray and my mouth.

Last edited:
Bobsiii, at 18 below in the military I just wore my fur lined hood tied up under my chin and my perscription glasses. Non-issue eyewear wasn't permitted.

indianajo I was stationed in Fairbanks Alaska '64-'66, went thru AF Arctic Survival School there, similar experiences. My cold tolerance has only decreased since.

J.R. I wondered about ski goggles. I'll check out the stuff you mentioned, and will try not to feel bad when I blow into the gloves.:D Thx.

J.R. I wondered about ski goggles. I'll check out the stuff you mentioned, and will try not to feel bad when I blow into the gloves.:D Thx.

They are kind of hard to find, but ski goggles made for nordic skiing have better ventilation and generally work better for me.

Julbo makes a good if expensive pair.

I use safety goggles and I think they are vented better because they don't seem to fog up. Went out again today, -25C or -13F with 25mph wind. Actually worked up a sweat on the 10km or 6mile round trip on the acoustic bike. The key to winter riding is layers of clothing. Tshirt, sweater, hoodie, parka and neck warmer. Then long underwear, jeans and snow pants. Regular socks, thermal socks and some steel toed hiking boots. Topped off with a balaclava, toque, safety goggles and a comfortable pair of ski gloves. If it gets any colder I will breakout the 1 pc. snowmobile suit...lol

Attachments

• 20190131_154409.jpg
    20190131_154409.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 394
Back