What to do with semi broken ebike?

Kathy Smith

I have an A2B Edge bike that I've used for about 4 years. Recently the bike died and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Took it to a bike place to look at it and it seems like the battery died (although it shows charge). I had an old spare which I tried and the bike works with it but half way through my commute the bike starts struggling and power disconnects when going on incline. I bought a new bike but I don't know what to do with semi broken bike. Any one has any ideas? I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble putting it on eBay. What are other options?

You just happen to run into the problem we all going to have with ebikes. The bike will be good for 5-20 years; but, ebike components only last 3-5 years.

You could either:
- remove the ebike components and convert to a regular bike
- upgraded the ebike components with a kit (like from Luna Cycles)
- sell "as is" or part out the bike on eBay or Craigslist
- donate to a friend, family member, or charity because fixing this ebike is cheaper than buying new for the next owner

Those are my options with my Radrover if I have the same issue in a few years.

You just happen to run into the problem we all going to have with ebikes. The bike will be good for 5-20 years; but, ebike components only last 3-5 years.

You could either:
- remove the ebike components and convert to a regular bike
- upgraded the ebike components with a kit (like from Luna Cycles)
- sell "as is" or part out the bike on eBay or Craigslist
- donate to a friend, family member, or charity because fixing this ebike is cheaper than buying new for the next owner

Those are my options with my Radrover if I have the same issue in a few years.
Thanks. I'll either sell it as is or donate it.

There is a classified section on this forum. If you have to pay someone to fix it, I agree, sell it. If you want to learn how to repair it, keep asking questions on here and spend some money. On the down side of course, you will only get a fraction of the return on the repair money.

Siguiente óptimo. ...:)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1505497727605.jpg
    FB_IMG_1505497727605.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 440
I can't say for sure, but it sounds to me like a battery problem. It's possible your motor or controller is overheating going up the hill, but my guess is that your battery is weak or out of balance and your BMS is shutting the bike down when the voltage sags.

Of course, replacing a battery would be expensive for you or a buyer, as would a motor, but controllers are relatively cheap. I hear that A2B isn't great at stocking replacement parts.

I bought a new bike and decided to post the old one here in the classified section if that doesn't work, I'll give it away.

Back