What spoke wrench for these spokes?

Many years ago, when I was a poor graduate student, I had a bike that was constantly popping spokes. I built up a new rear wheel at the campus bike shop without great difficulty, it just took a while. Didn't have any problems except an occasional truing for several years afterward until the bike got stolen in Chicago.
Yes, even beginners can build up a wheel....

Here you go assuming again. You have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll share that if a tension meter is used, you can get a pretty accurate tension on EVERY spoke, assuring a long life for each. This, using quality parts and some patience, should result in a wheel I shouldn't have to be concerned with for a very long time. No, I can't build as fast as some guys can, but if I thought my wheel was somehow inferior, I'd likely still be working on it.

If you don't believe that an amateur can build a wheel accurately, maybe you should look into it further so you know what you're talking about.....
I did not say you cant build a wheel I said you cant build a wheel like a master wheel smith. How often do you have to have to tweak your wheels? we are all guilty of thinking we can do as well as someone that has done the job for many years. I am very guilty of that myself.

My uncle the master machinist slapped me in 1965 and explained that crescent wrenches were a last resort. Many a home mechanic has trashed a project with a crescent wrench. Good on you for being the odd man out. 👍🏼
Feel free to lay off the snark, it doesn't add anything to your posts. If one doesn't have the specialty tool in hand, all I was saying is a small crescent can be used - never claimed it is the perfect tool.

You could always measure the spoke bit (nipple?) that the wrench fits on. I was curious and just measured mine, 3.96 mm / .156. Found a Park wrench with those dimensions for about $7.00.

I built a wheel using one of those wrenches. I had a replacement on order before I even finished it. That particular wrench is very difficult to keep track of which slot to use. Works OK from that point, but wasted a lot of time figuring which to use every time you pick it up.
Just mark it with a sharpie 🙃

Just mark it with a sharpie 🙃
That's actually exactly what I did. Still, I had to look for the sharpie (magic marker) every time I picked it up, which is a waste of time. Much easier to grab the right size wrench, without having to find the slot marked with magic marker. Like I mentioned, the wrench does work, it just not the one I would grab to do a wheel....
I did not say you cant build a wheel I said you cant build a wheel like a master wheel smith. How often do you have to have to tweak your wheels? we are all guilty of thinking we can do as well as someone that has done the job for many years. I am very guilty of that myself.
I've done 3 wheels to date, and they were all checked at about 50 miles, with no corrections necessary. If I see or feel anything curious (like some kind of bobble for instance) I'll check them again then. The one bike, powered by the big Bafang Ultra with 160nm, is a good example of a wheel that you might expect some problems with - yet it's running as straight as the day I installed it. I attribute this to the fact that each spoke was final tuned with a tension meter.

My only point is that the smoke and mirrors related to wheel building are just that.

I sprang for the individual Park wrenches. Buy once, cry once. But if I had just one bike and no real intention of wrenching on bikes plural, I'd do the ring thing.

I have an expert wheelbuilder available to me and so I try and let him do this stuff, including wheel tuneups after a few years. So far zero issues over many bikes and wheelsets.

That's actually exactly what I did. Still, I had to look for the sharpie (magic marker) every time I picked it up, which is a waste of time. Much easier to grab the right size wrench, without having to find the slot marked with magic marker. Like I mentioned, the wrench does work, it just not the one I would grab to do a wheel....

I've done 3 wheels to date, and they were all checked at about 50 miles, with no corrections necessary. If I see or feel anything curious (like some kind of bobble for instance) I'll check them again then. The one bike, powered by the big Bafang Ultra with 160nm, is a good example of a wheel that you might expect some problems with - yet it's running as straight as the day I installed it. I attribute this to the fact that each spoke was final tuned with a tension meter.

My only point is that the smoke and mirrors related to wheel building are just that.
Good point... Building a wheel you're probably better off with the 1 size wrench.
I've tuned wheels with the circle wrench without fuss as it doesn't take near as long.

50 miles is not even enough time to break in a wheel several thousand miles is needed. we all love to think we are great at things the first time or a few times we have done it. wheels are a art and a learned skill. let me know how the wheels are doing a few thousand miles later.

50 miles is not even enough time to break in a wheel several thousand miles is needed. we all love to think we are great at things the first time or a few times we have done it. wheels are a art and a learned skill. let me know how the wheels are doing a few thousand miles later.
And when/if I do that, you'll have more BS nonsense to spread at that point in time. I'll pass.....

I've never done it... But building a wheel looks like it requires following the proper procedure and a bit of patience. Not that experience isn't valuable... But this whole idea that magic happens behind the screen of the LBS is just BS.
For god sake it's factory work... though skilled it is Not an art.

I've never done it... But building a wheel looks like it requires following the proper procedure and a bit of patience. Not that experience isn't valuable... But this whole idea that magic happens behind the screen of the LBS is just BS.
For god sake it's factory work... though skilled it is Not an art.
good wheels are hand built otherwise they are machine built. So have you ever owned a good hand built wheel? before I got my ebike My recumbent had them 10,000 miles they never needed trued.

Last edited:
good wheels are hand built otherwise they are machine built. So have you ever owned a good hand built wheel? before I got my ebike My recumbent had them 10,000 miles they never needed trued.
Where did you say you had a local guru looking after your wheels for you? Shall I go back a few notes so I can quote you on that? WHY would that be necessary if your wheels were good for life. C'mon. Some days you can be really ignorant....

Of course... and I'm sure it required the same skill and craftsmanship as a Stradivarious.
I often pull over to the side of the path a check my tuning by plucking a little Bach

Where did you say you had a local guru looking after your wheels for you? Shall I go back a few notes so I can quote you on that? WHY would that be necessary if your wheels were good for life. C'mon. Some days you can be really ignorant....
nowhere actually. all my hand built wheels have kept true. the ones on my bulls for about 6000 miles though I don't ride that bike much now. I mean your claiming your a pro wheel builder after a few wheels and 50 whole miles come on now.

nowhere actually. all my hand built wheels have kept true. the ones on my bulls for about 6000 miles though I don't ride that bike much now. I mean your claiming your a pro wheel builder after a few wheels and 50 whole miles come on now.
No, after building 3 wheels, nowhere did I claim anything but rookie status. Your ignorance is hanging out again. That does not mean my wheels are inferior in any way. Top grade materials were used to build them, and great care was used to maintain a precision build. That does not make me a pro builder, nor do I claim to be one.

No, after building 3 wheels, nowhere did I claim anything but rookie status. Your ignorance is hanging out again. That does not mean my wheels are inferior in any way. Top grade materials were used to build them, and great care was used to maintain a precision build. That does not make me a pro builder, nor do I claim to be one.
except you said your wheels are not inferior thats claiming your wheels are just as good is it not? I never said your wheels are bad I said they are not built as well as a pro builds them. thats not an insult thats jsut a fact. I am terrible with communication so it may have sounded like I was lying what you did was s*it but thats not what I meant.

except you said your wheels are not inferior thats claiming your wheels are just as good is it not? I never said your wheels are bad I said they are not built as well as a pro builds them. thats not an insult thats jsut a fact. I am terrible with communication so it may have sounded like I was lying what you did was s*it but thats not what I meant.
Let's just move on, OK?

Thank you ladies and gentlemen... and I hope you'll return tomorrow for another episode of...
grumpy-old-men.jpeg

Back