What spoke wrench for these spokes?

FrankR

Region
USA
City
Milky Way Galaxy
Can you take a look at this pic and possibly recommend the Park Tool spoke wrench I need?
The tire is a CST/CHAOYANG 20x4.
I don't have info on the rim.

Here are a couple of pics. Any help appreciated.
Spokes - 1.png

Spokes - 4.png

Attachments

• VX2.png
    VX2.png
    897.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I prefer the correct size for my wheels. I ALWAYS keep an inexpensive digital caliper in my kit. It sorts sizes of many parts. EXTREMELY useful. I'm not a fan of inexpensive tools with more choices than I'll ever use and low quality...

Or,

why not just buy one of these:
LETUSPORT Silver Road Mountain Bicycle Bike Spoke Wrench

View attachment 127208
I built a wheel using one of those wrenches. I had a replacement on order before I even finished it. That particular wrench is very difficult to keep track of which slot to use. Works OK from that point, but wasted a lot of time figuring which to use every time you pick it up.

The flux capacitor wrench is good. I have a drawer filled with touch up paints. I mark the 14 red so it corresponds with the SW wrenches above. It wasn't explicitly stated by @tomjasz, but there was no way to scale your photo. If you put the edge of a dime on one side of a nipple and a nickel on the other, that would have helped.

I built a wheel using one of those wrenches. I had a replacement on order before I even finished it. That particular wrench is very difficult to keep track of which slot to use. Works OK from that point, but wasted a lot of time figuring which to use every time you pick it up.
But still helpful for someone on a tight budget?!

I need to be honest here. I keep a spoke wrench for emergency service but leave truing snd replacements as well as builds to a talented LBS. actually pretty cheap to have them sort it. My local does not support kit bike eBike components but happily does basic repairs. At fair prices.

Last edited:
Yes it's a cheap wrench, but the OP could get it fast, figure out which size he has, and order a better one. Better, IMHO, than having a set of individual wrenches where only one will be used, the rest probably lost. These multi-sized units are good to keep around when you might be dealing with a variety of bikes, and only needing to do minor adjustments on a spoke or two.

Building a wheel? You knew in advance what size you needed, yet you still cheaped out?

Yes it's a cheap wrench, but the OP could get it fast, figure out which size he has, and order a better one. Better, IMHO, than having a set of individual wrenches where only one will be used, the rest probably lost. These multi-sized units are good to keep around when you might be dealing with a variety of bikes, and only needing to do minor adjustments on a spoke or two.

Building a wheel? You knew in advance what size you needed, yet you still cheaped out?
That wrench was more like a learning experience - as in purchased because I didn't know any better. I do admit, it WILL get the job done, it's just a PIA to use on the scale I was using it at. Agree as well, it's not a bad shot in the dark, something to get you going....

I need to be honest here. I keep a spoke wrench for emergency service but leave truing snd replacements as well as builds to a talented LBS. actually pretty cheap to have them sort it. My local does not support kit bike eBike components but happily does basic repairs. At fair prices.
I should but my wheelbuilder is really good so I doubt the wheel will die on me.

I should but my wheelbuilder is really good so I doubt the wheel will die on me.
You guys are both lucky to have local wheel builders willing to work for you. That's NOT the case here. I looked everywhere locally, and sending it out was not an option I wanted to consider. In the end, I was forced to learn how to do it myself. That experience under my belt, I'm glad I went that way. There's darn sure a learning curve, but I don't think the skill is that far out of reach for those wanting to and having the time to learn...

I don't think the skill is that far out of reach for those wanting to and having the time to learn...
Sadly arthritis has ended my desire to learn. But 50 years ago I tried but had none of the resources we have today. That’s real cool that you learned to do your own. These days I have more $$ then ability. You rock Al!

You guys are both lucky to have local wheel builders willing to work for you. That's NOT the case here. I looked everywhere locally, and sending it out was not an option I wanted to consider. In the end, I was forced to learn how to do it myself. That experience under my belt, I'm glad I went that way. There's darn sure a learning curve, but I don't think the skill is that far out of reach for those wanting to and having the time to learn...
It is and it is not. You can build a wheel and make it work. But you can’t build a fantastic wheel that will last for the life of the spokes. That takes years of dedicated experience just like Amy other occupation that needs to be mastered. Plus I know I would f*ck it up.

When building on a wheel with this particular wrench. I just tape up the slots that aren't used. The individual ones are nicer, fit better, and I have those, somewhere.
harrys master of sorting practical solutions. You rock!

It is and it is not. You can build a wheel and make it work. But you can’t build a fantastic wheel that will last for the life of the spokes. That takes years of dedicated experience just like Amy other occupation that needs to be mastered. Plus I know I would f*ck it up.
Here you go assuming again. You have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll share that if a tension meter is used, you can get a pretty accurate tension on EVERY spoke, assuring a long life for each. This, using quality parts and some patience, should result in a wheel I shouldn't have to be concerned with for a very long time. No, I can't build as fast as some guys can, but if I thought my wheel was somehow inferior, I'd likely still be working on it.

If you don't believe that an amateur can build a wheel accurately, maybe you should look into it further so you know what you're talking about.....

Back