what pannier and trunk bags or adapter hooks have you tried?

wiredbean

Just got my aurora le and now that I know I love this bike Im ready to buy bags to haul my groceries with.
Has anyone tried these ortlieb hooks?
https://ortliebusa.com/product/ql2-1-20mm-top-hooks-e193/
for their panniers?
Or do you prefer one of the trunk bags that have an option for saddle bags?
the Evelo trunk bag looks too small for me at a glance.
Thanks for your help!

If the panniers you like won't fit your Aurora rear rack, check out the option mentioned in this post:

I have ortlieb panniers with their 2.1 latch system. And they are usable, but dont fit great on the fat Evelo rack. The issue with Evelo rack is that it is squarish, rather than a circular tube and much thicker than standard racks. While that probably adds strength, it means most pannier clips will not fit. Wish they would have designed the rack differently to allow more standard panniers to fit.

I have to force my clips onto the rack, but still the latch will not close around the rack tube, so latch remains open, and can be prone to come off sometimes. But, it is usable, as it does not come off too often, so I get by. They do have slightly larger 20mm clips, but those still will not allow the latch to close around the tubing, and those actually dont fit as tightly, so then with the latch not closing, may be more prone to come off.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I also have another bag I use that has velcro straps that attach to the rack and zippered fold out panniers and that fits fine, only does not hold as much as my ortliebs. So, I use the Ortliebs when going shopping for a lot and need max volume carrying capacity, but use the other one when buying a smaller amount. Similar to the maxmiles bag that you can google on Amazon.

I have ortlieb panniers iwht their 2.1 latch system. And they are usable, but dont fit great on the fat Evelo rack. The issue with Evelo rack is that it is squarish, rather than a circular tube and much thicker than standard racks. While that probably adds strength, it means most pannier clips will not fit. Wish they would have designed the rack differently to allow more standard panniers to fit.

I have to force my clips onto the rack, but still the latch will not close around the rack tube, so latch remains open, and can be prone to come off sometimes. But, it is usable, as it does not come off too often, so I get by. They do have slightly larger 20mm clips, but those still will not allow the latch to close around the tubing, and those actually dont fit as tightly, so then with the latch not closing, may be more prone to come off.

Make an adapter as outlined in post #2 of this thread:

the ortlieb panniers come with different size adapters, but if those don't fit snug some riders use electrical tape on the rack to make create a thickness that is snug. the plastic adapters work great on the racktime rack (square shape bars) on my vado

thanks to everyone here!!! first hand experience is the best! think i will try the electric tape for a snug fit with the adapter and if that doesnt work add on the adapter rod :) that will fit. and also looking at banjo brothers! Thank you so much everyone!!!!!

Zip ties solve many attachment problems and often aren't too obvious.

i am a fan of zip ties ;) (my lock of choice for traveling! haha) but I would prefer to be able to remove the bags easily without cutting zipties each time I go in to shop etc. Its not safe to leave them on outside unattended where i am :(.

i am a fan of zip ties ;) (my lock of choice for traveling! haha) but I would prefer to be able to remove the bags easily without cutting zipties each time I go in to shop etc. Its not safe to leave them on outside unattended where i am :(.
I don't remove mine. I use recyclable grocery bags and pretty much know how to pack them to drop into my pannier. The one pannier my wife uses is held on with velcro straps. There are all kinds of reusable straps out there these days.

I'm a budget shopper and have never found the perfect pannier that fits across all my bikes.

My Ortlieb panniers came with these thin wires attached to the top of each bag and on one end you can loop them onto a cable lock to lock them to the bike. They are pretty thin, so could be easily cut, but if someone doesnt have a good knife or scissors or wire cutters, then it provides a small deterrent. And I only leave my bike out while I am at the store, so also limits the time they are exposed. Been lucky so far.

Make an adapter as outlined in post #2 of this thread:

As someone who has the Aurora Limited and was racking my brain on how to fit some panniers since some of the popular ones like the Ortliebs just would not fit even with the biggest adapter they have (20mm). So I followed this post's instructions and it works perfectly. I did have to modify it a bit. For example, the 5/8 in is too small, you have to use 1 in. for it to fit the Aurora securely. I also added a little bumper on the side of the frame to avoid metal on metal since the paint scratches easily (could also just wrap it with electrical tape). I can use my Ortliebs now!

Attachments

• 20210927_095934.jpg
    20210927_095934.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 20210927_095929.jpg
    20210927_095929.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 308
Back