What other bikes should I look at?

In spite of my desire to buy one locally, the Ride1Up Prodigy really caught my eye. The only hesitation I have is the battery - it seems to be the one area they really cut costs by going with a most basic spec. Thoughts?

50 lbs without rack and fenders seems reasonable. Ride 1 Up do have local dealers as well...

You sure about that? I thought they were online-only, with owner-ambassadors around the US.
Bikes and Brews down the street in Palm Desert is a Ride 1 UP dealer and were awesome when I took my Ride 1 UP Gravelster in for a brake adjustment and front wheel issue. ( I actually forgot what exactly!)

You might Google your area and see if there are any nearby...

In spite of my desire to buy one locally, the Ride1Up Prodigy really caught my eye. The only hesitation I have is the battery - it seems to be the one area they really cut costs by going with a most basic spec. Thoughts?

My Stance E has the same size battery.
I average around 1km per 1 percentage of battery. I can get up to 80km/50 miles on a single charge if I mainly stay in assist level 2 (out of 5).

I'll return that question with another. What are your concerns with that battery?

I'll return that question with another. What are your concerns with that battery?
The 14ah is a bit on the skinny side, and 36v? Electrical has never been my strong suit, but this does not seem to provide great range - although @DaveMatthews is getting nice range.

I get that if the rest of the electrical system is tuned for/built around the 36v, that's not a huge concern. And doing a little math, that's 504wh, which I guess is the ballpark of many others.

Sorry, probably mostly due to my ignorance of electrical...

You sure about that? I thought they were online-only, with owner-ambassadors around the US.
There are a few dealers and service centers in the US. Raleigh (correct?) does not have either - just a few "ambassadors".

The 14ah is a bit on the skinny side, and 36v? Electrical has never been my strong suit, but this does not seem to provide great range - although @DaveMatthews is getting nice range.

I get that if the rest of the electrical system is tuned for/built around the 36v, that's not a huge concern. And doing a little math, that's 504wh, which I guess is the ballpark of many others.

Sorry, probably mostly due to my ignorance of electrical...
Wowee......
All their other bikes are 48v. I looked to see the AH on this battery, and didn't even notice they were saying 36v, and just assumed it was 48v as well. This likely has to do with the fact it's Brose powered....

Last edited:
I went and rode several bikes today (obviously not the R1U Prodigy) and one of them absolutely blew me away so I bought it. 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado is in my garage and the battery is charging now!

Thanks so much for all of the input and discussion.

I went and rode several bikes today (obviously not the R1U Prodigy) and one of them absolutely blew me away so I bought it. 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado is in my garage and the battery is charging now!

Congrats on surviving "analysis paralysis" and making a selection your happy with!

Congrats to you. You’re going to have a blast on that bike!!
Many fun miles and smiles to you.

Good pick! That's a nice bike. Now go for a ride! ;)

The battery is fine. There's a new review - I posted a link in the Ride1Up section of this forum. Looks like a winner.

Back