What new light weight e-bikes are on the horizon?

Weight has very little bearing on speed; it mostly has an effect on acceleration. Overcoming aerodynamic drag is far more important. This is why time trail bikes have aero frames, wheels, and handlebars. A TT bike weighs more but goes faster. That aside, no one is making road e-bikes that can reach 30 mph with assistance; they are all restricted, usually to a mere 15 mph. But given that a strong cyclist can maintain 25 mph+ without a motor (when I was young, I time-trailed at a consistent 28 mph), a small motor could certainly help a rider go faster.

In the US, you can get a Trek Domane e+ with a Bosch motor that provides assist up to 28 mph. Fats and sleek bikes, but at 28 mph, as expected, the battery goes away fairly quickly. For 2020, the Domane will come with either a gen 4 Bosch motor, good for 28 mph, or a Fazua drive version - good for 20 mph!

Fazua promises bikes arriving in first week of December. Don't know brands yet, although Trek should be one of them.

iGO of Canada showed a carbon road bike powered by a Bafang m800 mid-drive at the 2018 Interbike show back in September. It is supposed to be under 29 lbs and retail for a mere $4299. Doesn't seem possible to me, especially the price. Anyway, I keep checking their site and social media pages for an update, but I have not seen anything.

I emailed them asking about this bike and never got a reply.

I have a Wilier Cento1HY coming tomorrow. Lightweight and gorgeous Italian styling and manufacture. They also have a new Cento10HY coming out. It is supposed to be the lightest e-road bike yet.

Fazua promises bikes arriving in first week of December. Don't know brands yet, although Trek should be one of them.

Budnitz is taking orders on the new version of the Model E with the Fazua system. Not sure exact release date but will likely be one of the first brands in the US offering the system. Curious as to why you think Trek will soon be offering a bike with the system? Seems like they would have tipped us off already ...

Go to Fazua’s website and you can see the brands. There are a few dozen, but Trek isn’t one of them.

Here is the Fazua powered Budnitz DJC e-Bike Hero eUrban.

I think Budnitz must have changed the name as they go from prototype to production. The bike at their website is labeled the Model E (similar to their fist go-round a couple of years ago with the Zeus system) but to me, it looks slightly different vs the picture at the Fazua site. Or maybe its just the angle. I'm guessing the Fazua picture is an early prototype.

1569549600413.png

I emailed them asking about this bike and never got a reply.

The iGO Carbon CGV shows as available in Canada. Price is $6,950CAD ($5,246USD today) for base w/105 and comes in at 27.8lbs. (don't know which size).

Sizing is unfortunate. At least, their 55CM wouldn't fit me well.

Attachments

• iGO_Carbon CGV.png
    iGO_Carbon CGV.png
    426.9 KB · Views: 468
Reactions: JRA
Budnitz is taking orders on the new version of the Model E with the Fazua system. Not sure exact release date but will likely be one of the first brands in the US offering the system. Curious as to why you think Trek will soon be offering a bike with the system? Seems like they would have tipped us off already ...
Trek show a Fazua equipped Domane Plus LT on some sites, new for 2020.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Are there any more manufacturers coming out with lightweight e-bikes? Is Bianchi going to expand their line from one bike to several others?

I've heard rumors that Specialized is coming out with one, maybe by the end of the year, but it is just a rumor.

Anyone else see anything at demo events, shows or marketing to bike shops? Still thinking of getting an Orbea, but want to see what else will be out there.

Here are 2 new Bianchi bikes that were recently reviewed by Electrek... Aria E road @ 27lbs. ;)

Attachments

• bianchi-aria-e-road-header.jpg
    bianchi-aria-e-road-header.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 438
  • Bianchi-eSUV-Racer-Rally-eMTB.jpg
    Bianchi-eSUV-Racer-Rally-eMTB.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:

Attachments

• 1569732115459.png
    1569732115459.png
    550.5 KB · Views: 420
  • PET.jpg
    PET.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Trek show a Fazua equipped Domane Plus LT on some sites, new for 2020.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It looks like that one is for the EU market with the lImited speeds b/c they are in the dark ages....

Why would someone spend 6grand on a 28lb ebike that goes 18mph max. Is beyond my understanding. I’m sure there will be many @academic” justifications that will sound perfectly reasonable.
On group rides i see seniors 60yo and higher that ride aluminum or some carbon 16/ 20-22lb bikes and they go 19-26mph on flats w/o any issues. On hills a little work , maybe only there a motor is needed.

That same bike w/o the motors and the chinese components would weight 16lb and fly by itself to 18 or 28mph.

So, just to climb some hills a little faster , pay an extra 3-4grand and add another 10-12lb to the bike ? For some people it will work out okay, and is good that there is an option for them.

It’s Unfortunate that the price to pay for this ebike’s ability of hill climbing luxury is very high.

Another lightweight Pinarello gravel bike and a Wilier road bike... ;)

Dyodo only 8000$ ??

Common , everyone and their mother has a yacht and 10mansions...
Should be maybe 80.000$... i’ll seriously consider it then.

Sir,

How much was that bike ?

80.000$. It has a motor...

Dyodo only 8000$ ?? Common, everyone and their mother has a yacht and 10 mansions...
Should be maybe 80.000$... i’ll seriously consider it then. Sir, How much was that bike? 80.000$. It has a motor...

It's all about priorities in life... different strokes for different folks. ;)

1569897937544.png

If you are looking for a cheaper model, the Dyodo road bike is also available for $7999.00

1569898629988.png

Last edited:
The iGO Carbon CGV shows as available in Canada. Price is $6,950CAD ($5,246USD today) for base w/105 and comes in at 27.8lbs. (don't know which size).

I saw that a few weeks ago. They say each one is individually built to order, which I imagine means they assemble the component parts to the frame which was shipped from China or Taiwan. $5300 for the 105 mechanical is $1000 over their announced price. Class 1 though, which is a 👎.

Looking for a lightweight to semi-light weight e-bike with flatbar handles. Tried the Specialized Creo (no flatbar handles) but I think it is too expensive with the "cheap" one starting at $9000. Any recommendations? I prefer a level 1 with a range of 40 miles+

Looking for a lightweight to semi-light weight e-bike with flatbar handles. Tried the Specialized Creo (no flatbar handles) but I think it is too expensive with the "cheap" one starting at $9000. Any recommendations? I prefer a level 1 with a range of 40 miles+

So far I gathered:
Flat bars
Semi-Lightweight (40-60 lbs?) to Lightweight (25-40lbs?)
40+mi. range
Class 1
<$9k

Any other characteristics you looking for?

Lightweight to carry? I would be inclined to point towards bikes with a Fazua motor.
Doing lots of hills? Noticed you are in Santa Cruz, CA. May want a mid drive over a hub drive.
Want front suspension? More comfortable but you will have to service this. Likely loose a little speed but I suspect this wouldn't matter since you stated you'd prefer Class 1.
Weight? If you care to share.
Local dealer?
Warranty?
Hauling 'stuff'?

Lightweight because it just easier to ride and also easier to lift up on my bike rack. Front suspension is OK, not needed. Thicker tires would be good for our crappy roads.
Weight? My weight? Does it matter? I am an average female. bike weight? Under 40 lbs would be good. 45 lbs acceptable. More a possibility for the right bike.
Warranty? Good.
Hauling Stuff, not necessary but if it had an option to put on a back rack, that would be good.
Local dealer would be excellent, but open to ideas.
Did try several Orbea Gains. They did have 1 lower model with a flat bar handle, but the components on it were very, very low level. Very cheap 7 speed shifter. Liked their higher level Orbea Gains, but they came with drop bar handles. Because of a bad neck, not a good option.

Last edited:
Lightweight because it just easier to ride and also easier to lift up on my bike rack. Front suspension is OK, not needed. Thicker tires would be good for our crappy roads.
Weight? My weight? Does it matter? I am an average female. bike weight? Under 40 lbs would be good. 45 lbs acceptable. More a possibility for the right bike.
Warranty? Good.
Hauling Stuff, not necessary but if it had an option to put on a back rack, that would be good.
Local dealer would be excellent, but open to ideas.
Did try several Orbea Gains. They did have 1 lower model with a flat bar handle, but the components on it were very, very low level. Very cheap 7 speed shifter. Liked their higher level Orbea Gains, but they came with drop bar handles. Because of a bad neck, not a good option.

You may consider BMC and their Alpenchallenge line. The bike here is very light with a carbon frame and fork. Expensive because the components are high-end. BMC is a well-known bike manufacturer.

My only concern would be that it's not a stepover which women tend to prefer. Worthy of a test ride though.

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Trek Allant and the Rail models. The Allant for around $6000 is a bit under 50 pounds and 28 mph. Not sure what the carbon Rail model weighs but it's 20 mph. I have leaning toward the Rail for 90% street use but I think I would prefer 28mph. However the Domane Electric is very appealing but didn't know it was 20mph. Makes no sense.

Back