What kind of helmets do you guys/gals wear?

Operator7

Sill planning ahead, as I try to make it through this last week of school... I searched the forum here and didn't see any threads on helmets.

Giro Air Attack Shield, not for any aero nonsense but for the eye shield that works nicely with eyeglasses. The helmet is also excellent in every other way.

I use the Bern Brentwood (multi-sport). Summer liner has flip visor and winter liner covers your ears. I've got a big head and Bern offers big sizes, their "zip-mold" process makes the shell smaller than some other helmets so you don't feel like a bobble-head doll:eek: I like it.
brentwood_black_4.jpg
http://bernunlimited.com

+1 for Bern Brentwood. Very useful in cold/mild climate.
I also use Bell Sequence and have heard good things about Bell Stoker.

Last edited:
Here's the key. I have have a 10 year old helmet that I brought in to my local PB shop to compare with newer helmets. Same technology, same molding, etc and they admitted that. Just wanted a newer better fitting helmet.
I spent about an hour trying on different helmets until I found the right fit. For me some Fox MTB helmet. At this stage they all provide the same safety, just find one that feels great with the price as well. Spend time finding what feels good and you can't go wrong. It's your decision not the dealers. Make sure it is comfortable and fully available to protect your head in an accident. C

Bell Faction. Certified for both bicycle and skating/BMX for whatever small level of extra protection that provides. Also visible color.IMG_20150429_194846~2.jpg

These are some sweet helmets! Thank you all for the suggestions! At the local E-bike shop here in Venice (Bike Attack), they didn't have much of an offering for helmets. I'm guessing regular bike shops probably would have these. I definitely would like to try on before purchasing...

And I probably won't be riding much in traffic at night, but for that purpose, the Torch seems a GREAT new design!!

The Torch helmet is $99 on sale. I can strap a couple lights on my helmet for a lot less. ;-D

Are you saying the cost of your helmet and the lights is a lot less than $99? If so, are the lights you are using as good (ie eye-catching for traffic and nice looking) and as bright?

I'm saying I already have a helmet. It doesn't have any lights on it. I could purchase & add 2 lights (1 front, 1 rear) and still have paid, in total, less than $99, including the cost of my existing helmet. That's what I'm saying.

I ended up purchasing a Bern Brentwood from a local sporting goods store (REI), who is currently having an anniversary sale. Got it for less than 50 bucks, so pretty happy. :)

I bought a Fox mtb helmet just because the fit was perfect and I liked the little added protection on the back of my head. They all have the same components and ratings so just find one that fits your head perfectly and feels good. It doesn't matter if it's the most expensive or coolest helmet in the shop, as long as it is comfortable to you and will save your coconut in case of an accident, that is all that matters .

Thanks for this thread. I'm using a simple Bell road bike helmet, but want to get something that has a little more ear protection. I'm worried that a standard helmet isn't going to give you enough protection.

Interesting. I was checking out POC yesterday at a bike shop. My neighbor likes his. But the backcountry looks like a snow helmet. How's the ventilation?

Back