What is Error Code 144?

What is Error Code 144? Creo SL with Extender battery
I had this on my Creo too & power just fading - often after a descent & using momentum into a climb - halfway up & bike also switches off.
Took it back to Shimano dealer who updated all the background software in the first instance then I need to ride it lots to see if it has been the simple fix or something else. They could at least see all the error messages when they downloaded all the bike data so could see them. They think when the various bits are out of cync the bike goes into ‘limp home’ mode. In that situation told to reboot the bike which may or may not fix it - basically what I had been doing - just hoping the software updates has done the trick 🤞

Thanks. What I was looking for is a description of what 144 means. My guess, and its only a guess, is it has something to do with the extender battery like its not hooked up correctly or the battery is low or it's not working correctly. That sort of thing. I've tried googling for help with no success. Even sent a question to Specialized. Nada. So the way I handle it now is to disconnect the battery and press the off/on button. Takes a couple times but seems to get it started. At home, I charge the system and all is well. This is an intermittent problem so the shop has not been able to duplicate.
Thanks for responding
Dave

I haven't had an error 144 on my Creo SL but I did have multiple error 512 where the motor would shut down. There is a reset procedure but I don't remember what it is. Anyway, I reset and everything was back to normal until the error appeared again. It was a loop; ride, error, reset, ride, error, reset..... My Specialized dealer updated the software and I had no more errors, for all of 17 miles. I took it back to the shop, they contacted Specialized, and the result was I was given a new bike.

Wow. New Bike. That sounds pretty extreme. Wish there was a list of what various codes mean. That would be a start. Thanks for posting.

Hi guys, I am also getting Error 144 but I haven't brought it to the shop for any firmware updates. For me, this happens at the highest assist mode, when using lots of torque and usually when the battery is down to less than 1/3 capacity. Never had it happen when the battery is above 75%.

I do not have the extender battery.

Still riding with extender battery. Still don't know what 144 means. Would. appreciate Specialized would jump in here and explain. The fix for my bike was a new wiring harness. Also took care of noise that sounded like loose tools in saddle bag.
Since then the lights indicating power and battery level turn off after a few seconds. Changing the small silver battery in controler did not help. But controls still work, just can' see after few seconds. I am also wearing out front brake pads quickly and dropping chain on regular basis, but that's subject for different thread.
Hi guys, I am also getting Error 144 but I haven't brought it to the shop for any firmware updates. For me, this happens at the highest assist mode, when using lots of torque and usually when the battery is down to less than 1/3 capacity. Never had it happen when the battery is above 75%.

I do not have the extender battery.
Abercrombie, I'd suggest you take it back to shop for an update. They can run diagnostic and see what's what.. Also, there is an advanced diagnostic setting on your smart phone's Ap, that will upload to the cloud after a ride that can be seen by Specialized. The shop is supposed to see as well, but mine can only see by hooking it up with cable. Good luck

Last edited:
Hi, I am also getting Error 144, I turned off my bike and turned it back on, and it went back to normal, battery was loaded 100% after about 15 minutes rides that hapens. If some one to know what thats mean, this code?!

No help from my shop, they didn't believe the message came from the bike at all.

I believe the problem is due to loose connections.

And fixed by;
pushing the to connection to the battery in tight,
making sure the connecter lock to the bike is fully turned,
and the rubber band holding the battery in the bottle cage is present.

Also, somewhat off topic, the Spesh rep said only use moist (with water) clean rag, but NOT isopropyl alcohol, to clean speed sensor bc some isopropyl alcohol might get onto adjacent brake rotor disk. I told him I clean brake rotor disk with isopropyl alcohol every ride but never heard that is not good. He may have been confused by referring to avoiding getting chain lube on brake rotor, which I do avoid.

Last edited:
Back