What is a cheap bike?

(BET)"Many more people are buying e bikes now because you can get a nice entry level bike for around $1500. We also want entry level bikes so family members can ride together without spending a fortune. But if we buy a decent entry level bike with good components, like the original poster, we do not appreciate people telling us we made a mistake, or we are less educated about ebikes, or we must not be serious bike riders etc. Not everyone wants a mid drive bike or one with a torque sensor. I do not expect to ride my bike more than 50 miles a week. I have a lot of other things to do. B T W has anyone noticed that you rarely see female posters criticizing the bikes other people buy or bragging about how many miles they ride" ?

This is the reply I wanted to hear.
An eBike, for me, is a small part of my life. I'm taking it to winter in Yuma (if it gets to me before I leave 🚲) and to ride around the RV park instead of starting up my car for short runs. I'll be the star of the 55 and older with my $1500 entry level eBike peddling around at 28mph when the park speed limit is 10mph. And when I PAS to Walmart with my grocery bag panniers sailing in the breeze - Oh, I'll be a site to behold. And when I tell my fellow winter babies that I paid $1500 for a bike- why they'll think I've lost my mind.
I am surprised at how kind and gentle your reply's to my "rant" have been. My more fun hobby, so far, is hanging with my Corvette group. You want to see a bunch that are opinionated and throw away money on frivals - this is the best. Amsoil and K&N are the topics I get the most fun stirring up.
Before I jumped on any eBike I spent hours researching and I have to tell you, this forum was the biggest help. I was smiling while I composed this topic and you guys have shown great restraint. It was my test of you. And you passed. Thanks for letting me in.

Last edited:
The value of any item is determined by more than just the sales price.
Do you want prompt customer service? Do you want or need local service?
Do you want or need a good parts network?
Is service after the sale important to you?
Shopping any item strictly on price is generally a bad idea.
Purchasing a big tick item on price alone is also a bad idea.
You need to factor in all the intangibles to determine the true value/cost of an item. Understanding the intangibles allows one to fully comprehend the cost of any item. The sticker price is but one factor in determining the true value.
You generally want a good value vs. simply a low price.
We all determine an items value differently based on are wants, needs, income and ability.
You can only determine an items value for yourself. It's OK for someone else to value an item differently.

Here's another. An ad pops up on this forum selling accessories. A bike helmet for $199. My bike helmet cost $20 at Walmart. I know - I know. A $20 helmet for a $20 brain 🔨

Here's another. An ad pops up on this forum selling accessories. A bike helmet for $199. My bike helmet cost $20 at Walmart. I know - I know. A $20 helmet for a $20 brain 🔨
Oh no, you'll start off a new whole conversation about helmets.

I think the Japanese mamachari ebikes have pretty good value without being called "cheap".

Panasonic, Bridgestone and Yamaha have pretty good ebikes and their prices are under $1000. (typically $800 ish)
They come with torque sensored mid drive motor, although the top speed is only 15mph due to strict Japanese regulations.
There are other ebike manufactures like Hitachi, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Sunstar, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc.. but most of them are the big 3. (Bridgestone, Yamaha and Panasonic)

They have good customer service, reliability and brand recognition as well.
If you talk to someone who have been to Japan, most ebikes are Japanese brand (approx 95% of them) and occasionally you will see Bosch, Shimano or Yamaha powered Trek, Giant, Cannondale, ebikes...

Chinese ebikes like Bafang hub, Reention or Hailong battery case, are non-existent in Japan.

I wonder why the Japanese have decided to stay out of the US market? What a perfect wall line for a Honda M/c or Suzuki dealership. I can see it now as dad shops for accessories for his GW his wife and kids are like.. dad? can we, huh, can we? The dealer network is there, in place. What a great little product line to pay the rent with. Harley is going to try and revive their market with elec/Mc's from what I've read ( good luck) but Ducati or BMW could add eBikes and motorcycles to their lineup and their customer base wouldn't blink.

To the Japanese, ebikes are legitimate transportation.
They use ebikes to pick kids up from kindergarten or school, they use it to carry groceries, they use it to go to work, or to the train station (park it there and go to work), they use it everyday for everything.

Americans on the other hand, ebikes are toys, sports, recreational items, weekend cruiser, etc.
People in America are not trying to go A to B, or pick kids up from school or even grocery shopping.

A
true for most people. in Portland you see more like the Japanese attitude. myself included my bike is my only transpiration. or public transporation but now it is my only means. my wife and I bougth a t tandem so she could get around too since she is blind and had no coice but public transportation. but now we ride everywhere.

I got mine on clearance at Wally World for $7.97. :p

I would pay more for MIPS (which my cheap Bell does not have), but I would never pay $199...especially when you can buy new old stock $199+ helmets for far less than their original price.

The condescension is astounding. :rolleyes:
In the forum world it's called a TROLL. Don't feed the trolls. 😒

or you can be eating weeks or months for that next cheap bike to arrive and hopefully it works.

This may be true, but I'll be riding during that wait, however long it is, as I already have an e-bike I'm getting ready to retire/donate/throw away/or maybe sell for parts (reducing the cost of my cheap bike even further) as it's free at this point!

My entry level bike was the Aventon Pace 500. Really well built bike for the price. Rode it for more than 500 miles. Didn't like the weight, cadence sensor, big ass saddle and swept back handlebars. Now I have a relatively expensive Yamaha but it's worth more to me than I paid for it because I enjoy it and use it a lot.

Sure, I wish that I knew what I really wanted before spending money on the Aventon but it was a learning experience that led me to know that I definitely wanted an eBike in my life...just not one with a cadence sensor or hub drive.

true for most people. in Portland you see more like the Japanese attitude. myself included my bike is my only transpiration. or public transporation but now it is my only means. my wife and I bougth a t tandem so she could get around too since she is blind and had no coice but public transportation. but now we ride everywhere.

All this illustrates is our car driven culture and our "wide open spaces". Your tandem solution for you and the wife is a feel good moment. Even small towns could implement some change to make bikes more useable for those that live in town and say 1mile out. I guess it will really take a big shift in our thinking.

All this illustrates is our car driven culture and our "wide open spaces". Your tandem solution for you and the wife is a feel good moment. Even small towns could implement some change to make bikes more useable for those that live in town and say 1mile out. I guess it will really take a big shift in our thinking.
yep. the only bad part is we can only get so far under our own power. anymore I hardly ever walk anywhere except at work.

My entry level bike was the Aventon Pace 500. Really well built bike for the price. Rode it for more than 500 miles. Didn't like the weight, cadence sensor, big ass saddle and swept back handlebars. Now I have a relatively expensive Yamaha but it's worth more to me than I paid for it because I enjoy it and use it a lot.

Sure, I wish that I knew what I really wanted before spending money on the Aventon but it was a learning experience that led me to know that I definitely wanted an eBike in my life...just not one with a cadence sensor or hub drive.
the problem with a cadence sensor is if you like to spin you cant maintain a speed throughout your gear range.

the problem with a cadence sensor is if you like to spin you cant maintain a speed throughout your gear range.
Yessir. That was definitely an issue when commuting in an urban environment where there can be a pack of cyclists at every intersection. I had to constantly cover my brake so as not to "launch" forward into the rider ahead of me (even when I'm on PAS 1). With a torque sensor, that issue is eliminated with the natural feel of pedaling even when in the highest assist level.

but not all cadence sensor bikes are programmed like that- from what i have read aventon has an issues with not being programmed well

but not all cadence sensor bikes are programmed like that- from what i have read aventon has an issues with not being programmed well

True. I also had an Orbea F30 (with the ebikemotion X35 system) for a while that has much better programming. It also uses the speed sensor in tandem with the cadence sensor to gradually ramp up the power delivery. And it felt almost as good on flat surfaces. But when it comes to technical hill climbing, it was lacking. The little pause between pedal revolutions can cause it to lag the power delivery when climbing. That is a make or break split second which meant I had to put my foot down in the middle of a climb. With a torque sensor, there is no lag and the bike just becomes an extension of your body.

Last edited:
Hi tlippy. Welcome to the world of ebiking. Here's to many long rides in the years ahead.
I'm sure you'll have a great time with the ride 1up,

True. I also had an Orbea F30 (with the ebikemotion X35 system) for a while that has much better programming. It also used the speed sensor in tandem with the cadence sensor to gradually ramp up the power delivery. And it felt almost as good on flat surfaces. But when it comes to technical hill climbing, it was lacking. The little pause between pedal revolutions can cause it to lag the power delivery when climbing. That is a make or break split second which meant I had to put my foot down in the middle of a climb. With a torque sensor, there is no lag and the bike just becomes an extension of your body.
yep we go light mountain biking with our tandem and it would be impossible without torque sensing. I can use the assist levels instead of shifting gears on the various terrain

Covid has turned the ebike market (and the bike market in general) from a buyers' market to a sellers' market with limited stock, wait times, backorders etc. With the limited choices, there is no right answer that fits everyone. You have to evaluate your options and do what is best for you. I am sure there are many other members in this forum that are in a similar situation to yours.
Well I bought my cheap chinese bike for 500 quid(sorry 700 dollars)a year ago and it's strong,well made,does the job and it was delivered within a couple of weeks,so I am a happy chappie.I got me so interested I have just fitted a conversion kit to my old MTB and am almost finished working on it.Just got to swap over some steel forks and take the aluminium ones off.I took it for a spin round the village and it went like dung off a hot shovel.Only problem was the motored front wheel wanted to get there before the rest of us.

Back