What is a cheap bike?

There is a post here about online bike sales and how the gimmick of collecting all the money in advance and then waiting 2 months for delivery is the new mode of doing business. In the post somehow the posts got to "cheap bikes". I am waiting for my R1U 700 to arrive and was told that my bike is at the low end of the scale and that if I ever rode a quality bike I could tell the difference.
Here is my opinion: There are a bunch of bike snobs who think that if you don't buy a $4000 bike from a brick and mortar store that somehow your choice puts you in a different class of rider. Lower class is the insinuation.
Most frames are 6061aluminum. Aluminum is aluminum.
Shimano Acera is a reliable drivetrain. You can pay more but it's mostly to reduce weight. Most eBike owners are not weight concerned.
Bafang hubs are on a majority of eBikes and have proven reliable.
3D double wall aluminum rims seem to be on a lot of eBikes. Must work!
eBikes don't need any of the expensive,weight reducing components that serious competitive riders require.
I believe that a lot of eBikers,who have gotten too fat and too old to peddle with their bike clubs are bringing their uppity bike requirements to a whole different class of bike riders. Really! Most eBikes weigh 60+ pounds. Can you tell the difference between a Shomano Acera vs Deore?
My R1U has respectable components and I will be able to go just as fast as an eTrek. In an unlikely event, I can buy replacement parts anywhere. Why would I pay twice as much to a brick and mortar for the same components, different name?
Yes. I could have paid more and then come here and tell people that somehow my Trek is better than their R1U $1500. But that bragging right is not worth my money.
Should I post this? Sure --What The heck!
What you said . This pertains to fly fishermen too , in a big way . Never seen a bigger bunch of gear whores than on NAFF .

Back