What do you think CanBus?

Yes, cars having been using canbus for years, i remember using a Superchips tuner to change the programing in my 2007 Dodge Ram pick up. I would imaging someone will make something similar that works like the BESST tool.

If for some reason this doesnt happen i think someone will make custom M620 controllers that can be programmed

i think someone will make custom M620 controllers that can be programmed
Like this?

Re: the Archon X1 plan, first glance it sounds good. Expensive maybe, but replacing the CAN BUSS controller with this one sounds like a good plan. So, reading through the material on their website, under "Important - please read", I read:
"If you purchased a new Bafang Ultra motor, or an ebike with the Bafang Ultra motor in 2020, please ensure you have the UART version of the motor. "

Not sure how to take that bit of information. Could be the Archon controller only works on UART based motors (for whatever reason), or it might just mean that the web site needs up dating. Point being, I wouldn't be making much in the way of plans without looking into it a little further.

Re: the Archon X1 plan, first glance it sounds good. Expensive maybe, but replacing the CAN BUSS controller with this one sounds like a good plan. So, reading through the material on their website, under "Important - please read", I read:
"If you purchased a new Bafang Ultra motor, or an ebike with the Bafang Ultra motor in 2020, please ensure you have the UART version of the motor. "

Not sure how to take that bit of information. Could be the Archon controller only works on UART based motors (for whatever reason), or it might just mean that the web site needs up dating. Point being, I wouldn't be making much in the way of plans without looking into it a little further.
For now, i am hoping they make a controller that will fit onto a canbus motor, I would get an Archon X1. I also like Luna products and service. If I have to replace the entire motor i will, just not yet at least while the bike is new.

AlsocEventually i may want to upgrade the batteries to 52 volt, and get a 2500 watt ultra motor.... its says on Watt Wagons website you need a battery with a large "C" rating so i would just do it all at one time.

Unless a new bike comes out that suits my needs ( mostly beach riding ). Who knows??? Right now while riding on the beach the stock bafang programming works ok. I really wish i could have the throttle changed to "By displays command" instead of full power all the time. While doing technical riding like standing on the pedals its hard to modulate the throttle.

They don't currently have support for CANBus motors (yet). Wiring will (should in theory) be different. The entire protocol of communication between display, motor, controller, BMS is completely different from non-CANBus.

If we look at automotive CANBus as a sort of blueprint for what to expect, you should expect to see:

Dedicated wires for "messages" to be sent between modules.

At least 1 module is a gateway in which all "messages" would pass through (I would bet this gateway module would be the controller)

Better fault code definition

Potential failsafe operating parameters in the event of component failure or "missing messages" (instead of losing total motor output because your speed signal is out of whack they can dial the motor down to a preset level of lower output to keep you going until you get it fixed, instead of leaving you stranded. This is an example of how it can be implemented and I personally like this idea most)

Some of this is dependant on how sophisticated they want to be. In any event CANBus may seem like an unnecessary and unwanted hurdle but in the long run it will make for much better drive systems.

Yeah, there is a large group of people out there that still swear by carburetors.
Another one of my side trips. Please pardon....
I do a lot of side work on Honda outboards as a hobby/source of mad money (retired a long time ago). When asked about carbs vs. fuel injection, I tell people fuel injection is great - until it isn't!! When I get a dead Honda O/B, I'm MUCH more confident in my abilty to get a carbed version running - without - expensive parts.....

Another one of my side trips. Please pardon....
I do a lot of side work on Honda outboards as a hobby/source of mad money (retired a long time ago). When asked about carbs vs. fuel injection, I tell people fuel injection is great - until it isn't!! When I get a dead Honda O/B, I'm MUCH more confident in my abilty to get a carbed version running - without - expensive parts.....
But you are an old fart. lol ;-)

Tuner kids these days think nothing of flashing the BIOS in a home computer with a beta version, or remapping their car's ECU with a custom tune. Most kids don't turn wrenches anymore, they just 'chip' the car.

And I'm sure we'll see some good Canbus compatible options soon enough, it's just hard for anyone to get new electronic products made with COVID supply chain shortages right now.

But you are an old fart. lol ;-)

Tuner kids these days think nothing of flashing the BIOS in a home computer with a beta version, or remapping their car's ECU with a custom tune. Most kids don't turn wrenches anymore, they just 'chip' the car.

And I'm sure we'll see some good Canbus compatible options soon enough, it's just hard for anyone to get new electronic products made with COVID supply chain shortages right now.
Too be more accurate, you could make that a GROUCHY old fart......

I'm OK sorting through injectors, sensors and associated wiring, even an electronic control unit, but that crap is EXPENSIVE! An ECU, can be 800. or more! Ridiculous...
I can clean a set of carbs for the price of a can of carb cleaner and a pipe cleaner....

Back