What are your suggestions for winter cycling peace of mind?

What are your suggestions for winter cycling peace of mind?

• lower seat so feet can touch ground during slippery conditions

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • high visibility

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • wear layers

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • go slower

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • keep battery at room temperature storage

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • always wear helmet

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
Much of my cold weather riding clothing was aquired from motorcycling. A good shop will carry special socks and hoods and neck warmers. REI camping store in the states is another good source where Ive found nice gloves.

All the above (not sure we all need to lower seat though ) and studded tyres, good gloves, good lights.

Passed a guy rolling around on the floor screaming on Friday as the ambulance medics were trying to get him on a stretcher - old dude hadn't seen him in the bike lane beside the car when he did a right turn. Ouch.

Not sure why you'd want to ride your bike in the winter every day since it is a lot more slippery and if there's snow theres a lot less road to share.

Anyways, I'd get some bar mitts to protect your hands.. They work well. And I'd buy a few full face ski masks. Protect those extremities.

I'd also carry around insta flat fix in your pocket, cause no one want to change a tire when it's freezing out!

In my case, make sure that the hose pipe remains unfrozen to wash the bike down. :)

Clothing aside, I don't really do very much differently from summer riding. The exception being the inclusion to my usual riding kit, of a thermal/foil wrap/blanket and some all weather matches with some wadding.

Apart from a torch and spare rear light, this is pretty well what I carry all of the time in my CamelBaK

kit 1.jpg

If riding on the road, I would recommend an application of something like ACF50. Being careful to keep the oil from brake components.

I would also switch to sintered brake pads, if resin are fitted.

Last edited:
Not sure why you'd want to ride your bike in the winter every day since it is a lot more slippery and if there's snow theres a lot less road to share.
Winter riding is fine if you and the bike are outfitted for it - also, if the route is suitable as well. I don't think I'd be so keen to ride if I had to use a busy main road without bike lanes or busy city roads.

Don't miss the opportunity to also view the interview Court did with his Uncle. Greg has put 4,000 miles on his ebike while commuting to work and trail riding recreationally, and all of it was done in Loveland, CO. Greg commuted to work during the winter (as well as rode on his off days) and Loveland is near one of the passes over the Rocky Mountains and almost a mile high in elevation. I found the interview to offer great perspective on what winter riding can be like.

Something to start thinking about, as it is just about upon us. I think slippery conditions is a good time to leave the bike home.

Less road to share is a good point brought up too.

Certainly good gloves are a must, cold fingers ,suck.

Agree with the previous suggestions, studded tires, lights, motorcycle gear. Ski/snowboarding equipment can also be handy, I use my skiing helmet and added some extra armor in the knees and butt to an old pair of snowboarding pants.

Can add that electrically heated gear (I have a jacket and gloves) is great nowadays, with the same light and powerful battery technology that is making these bikes so good now.

Don't miss the opportunity to also view the interview Court did with his Uncle. Greg has put 4,000 miles on his ebike while commuting to work and trail riding recreationally, and all of it was done in Loveland, CO. Greg commuted to work during the winter (as well as rode on his off days) and Loveland is near one of the passes over the Rocky Mountains and almost a mile high in elevation. I found the interview to offer great perspective on what winter riding can be like.

Great video

Good cell phone, and some type of emergency pick-up # , if you get stranded. I have a motorcycle recovery hot line, Ive used in tbe past .

Awesome suggestion. I've had a flat and had to call for a ride (rear hub motor + changing flat = time consuming and very frustrating).

Here's the link for the search-challenged;http://electricbikereview.com/commu...-and-4000-miles-on-a-haibike.3047/#post-37234

Florida might be the easiest biking in the country.. Great weather year round.. In the summer just get your biking fix in early or late.

We do lead the country in biking fatalities though, so watch out for Tourists or teens texting!

We've only had a few inches of snow, but old man winter has jind of ignored northern Illinois so far. As a recreational rider and retiree, I have no need to commute or ride in bad weather . I did go out one day when most of it had melted, and rode a nearby bike path. I found the bridges slick and shady spots where snow remained on the asphalt pretty dangerous. Almost dropped the bike on a few occasions. That's my mountain bike with 1.75 inch tires. I don't need to get hurt, so any future riding will have to be days when the paths are dry and it's at least 45F. Ain't many of them going to happen until March.

Psych, have you seen this book? Winter Cycling by Darren Alff.
Hello Jack,
That book seems to be something worth considering for sure. I'd be pretty disappointed if I followed the book exactly and ended up crashing anyway. So, that thought has brought me to this website in order to get views from multiple cyclists. I may be purchasing that book. We shall see.

Back