What are you thoughts on 2018 Haibike Models?

Yes I know they dropped the xduro and sduro names relating to the motor type. Haibike has some of the worst model nomenclature out there if you ask me! None of the companies do a particularly good job of it though.

Yes I know they dropped the xduro and sduro names relating to the motor type. Haibike has some of the worst model nomenclature out there if you ask me! None of the companies do a particularly good job of it though.
I was moreso referring to the number system rather than the X/S Duro nomenclature. I understood the number system to refer to the quality of the components (similar to Trek's system). So to go from the 4.0 Trekking to the 9.5 or 9.0 I expected a big jump in components. But they look largely the same which leads me to believe they have reset the number system in addition to changing the XDuro, SDuro nomenclature. I must say that on my 4.0 Trekking, the gear shifting is really smooth and the brakes are phenomenal. For what that bike is designed to be, it seems to be spec'd rather well as-is.

I was moreso referring to the number system rather than the X/S Duro nomenclature. I understood the number system to refer to the quality of the components (similar to Trek's system). So to go from the 4.0 Trekking to the 9.5 or 9.0 I expected a big jump in components. But they look largely the same which leads me to believe they have reset the number system in addition to changing the XDuro, SDuro nomenclature. I must say that on my 4.0 Trekking, the gear shifting is really smooth and the brakes are phenomenal. For what that bike is designed to be, it seems to be spec'd rather well as-is.

I agree with your observations. I spec bikes with the same frame but different components all the time. Nomenclature should reflect this as a package and no more. If there are upgrades or downgrades to a drive train or components, that's what matters to me, not what you name the bike. By making their nomenclature confusing, Haibike is attempting to capitalize on those who don't know or follow component lines and that is not a marketing approach I support. But I will look closely at end of the year discounts because the 2017 lineup is a good one, just over priced.

Definitely some exciting changes for Haibike coming next year! I suspect the name change might be in light of Yamaha introducing their own bikes. I can't imagine they're too happy about that.

Many of the bikes will be arriving pretty soon actually. Aside from the Bosch powertube bikes which will be available next summer if all goes well.

anyone else think these are under powered at all at 350W? Especially for the price?

You ever rode one? I have two, they are definitely not underpowered! I have 1300 miles on one, 1600 miles on the other, both are 2016s.. The full suspension bike will actually pull the air fork back when riding in the turbo mode. Any more power and the back tire will be spinning. I don't buy the new model year, so I don't pay list. But these things are an absolute joy to ride!

Last edited:
You ever rode one? I have two, they are definitely not underpowered! I have 1300 miles on one, 1600 miles on the other, both are 2016s.. The full suspension bike will actually pull the air fork back when riding in the turbo mode. Any more power and the back tire will be spinning. I don't buy the new model year, so I don't pay list. But these things are an absolute joy to ride!

I haven’t actually! I don’t really have anywhere near me to test ride one, I’m new and just learning about this stuff. Im a pretty heavy guy (230lbs) and i just want to do about 15-20miles one way on torque sense mode for my commute. I thought with my weight I would need a higher wattage but you’re right i should test drive one. It’s just concerning when I see other bikes with 750-1000 w motors with 48v batteries and it all seems like quite a jump from just 350w 32V!

I haven’t actually! I don’t really have anywhere near me to test ride one, I’m new and just learning about this stuff. Im a pretty heavy guy (230lbs) and i just want to do about 15-20miles one way on torque sense mode for my commute. I thought with my weight I would need a higher wattage but you’re right i should test drive one. It’s just concerning when I see other bikes with 750-1000 w motors with 48v batteries and it all seems like quite a jump from just 350w 32V!
You also need to learn about any laws regarding speed and wattage restrictions in your local area if you intend to utilize bike paths. For example, here in Georgia, bike paths are restricted to 20 mph assist and 1000 watt motors, which is higher wattage than the federal limit of 750 watts. It’s really a hodgepodge out here; we really need a national set of rules.

You also need to learn about any laws regarding speed and wattage restrictions in your local area if you intend to utilize bike paths. For example, here in Georgia, bike paths are restricted to 20 mph assist and 1000 watt motors, which is higher wattage than the federal limit of 750 watts. It’s really a hodgepodge out here; we really need a national set of rules.

not too worried about the laws and such. I am just going to be both reasonable and safe, that is enough to not get me in trouble where I live. I don't plan on going very fast either, its more about power getting my fat a** up a hill lol (with torque assist of course).

I'm bigger than you, right around 250 pounds, 65 years old. There are a lot of people that buy big motor bikes with hand or thumb throttles, that use the bikes like a scooter or slow motorcycle. I prefer to ride a bicycle. High end, smooth components, torque sensors, big hydraulic brakes, and just a plain sweet ride in my opinion. I had never ridden a mountain bike trail until last year. The Haibike Full Seven lets me climb and ride through obstacles that I would not attempt on a traditional bicycle. In fact, never even thought about riding trails until I bought the bike.

There seems to be an error on Haibike's website. The new Trekking Xduro S 9.0 is depicted with the same frame as for 2017 (shown in the picture below). But the spec sheet mentions an IBC (Intube Battery Concept) frame coupled with a traditional Power Pack. So something doesn't quite add up. If you have an intube frame, it would make sense to ship with an intube battery. Either the image is wrong or the spec sheet is wrong. Unfortunately, I suspect the image is correct and the stated specs are wrong.

Link: https://www.haibike.com

The picture on the website:

View attachment 18483
The accompanying description:

View attachment 18484

However, an Intube frame should look like this:

View attachment 18485

Edit: Checked it. The spec sheet is wrong on Haibike's website. The 2018 Trekking S-Pedelec model is basically the same as the 2017 model (meaning no Intube battery). The 2018 model is shown at 2:37 in this video:

Yeah, I see what you are referring to in 2.37. No IBC on the frame. So many models to choose from; just another way to confuse the consumer with almost too many models. I personally like the IBC on any model of an ebike to stay with the stealthy looks. Great move for Haibike, but long overdue IMHO! I assume most/all of the Yamaha models in the video have the new PBX motor?? Great video though for many new models to look forward to giving test rides and possible purchase! FUN!

Although the powertube is more aesthetic, the 2018 trek with classic battery is not far behind. I still prefer the later since a spare battery would easily fit in a back pack or big saddle bag (easier to carry a spare).
View attachment 17667

Yes the Trek Super Commuter8 is my ebike of choice also. They have tuned the Bosch motor quite well to match with the great build quality of Trek bicycles! Test rode at the Expo and it was superior to other models in the price range ($5000.00 Usd) Hope the pricing comes down a bit though.

Back