What are you Latest Ultra M620 EL file settings?

Ridetoglide

Region
USA
Whasssup everyone!! I have A Juggernaut Ultra Beast on order for July... I am currently researching what torque settings / how other users are programing their Ultras. My plan is to get the bike, hook it up to the laptop and download/record the factory settings ( i'm not going to make any changes at that time ). Then i am going to ride for a bit and see if I like it and see what changes I feel need to be made.

I have made a bunch of changes to my BBS02 controller that made a world of difference but the Ultra motor and torque sensor settings are new to me. I have read that Biktrix and Roshan have good torque settings worked out for the Ultra motor so i want to try the stock settings first. I have also read some users reduce max current for the speed 0 and speed 20 settings so i need to see how sensitive the torque response is to my input since everybody's leg strength is different.

For the other Ultra owners who have made changes and tuned their controller..... what cadence (pas) and torque changes have you made that you think worked out well?

Attached .EL file if you would like to share...... Thanks!!!

I would encourage you to try the original settings. That way you can judge them for yourself. Same way with some of the other highly regarded (by some) settings.

In the end though, when you want to see what an Ultra is capable of, try the Frey "Smooth" settings. I beleive these represent the state of the art/newest thinking.... Thoughts, notes, references here -

First ride for me and I actually like the stock settings as they are?.. ok it runs off a little when I stop peddling but generally it's ok?.

I mainly will be riding trails and hills off road I read this is what the ultra is programmed for so I'm good?..

One thing that I'm unsure off on the smooth is the start kg reduced from 20 to 1. I have no gear sensor so like too lightly peddle when changing gears this keeps the motor off while shifting. Unsure if setting 1 would chew my gears up.

I am tempted to try some settings tho as I have a lead my computer is driver ready! And a second magnet ready.

One question do you need the battery on/in and screen switched on then unplug the Higo?. Or will it work switched off with battery installed or battery off the bike even?..

Also would like Pas 0 and just throttle working would come in handy is this possible and what settings would I need? As some confusion around "Pas 0 to 1" or dedicated assit set to 9?.

Thanks in advance..

Battery installed and switched off. Unplug display and plug in programming cable to pc and bike. Switch ON battery.
Pick a PAS, typically 0 and set both Current and Speed to 1 on page 1. This will then give you throttle only in PAS 0. Then dedicated Assist to 9 on page 3 for full throttle in all PAS.
I left my page 1 settings alone and just changed page 3...when I want throttle only, I just don't pedal. I like having a motor off setting while having the unit power on for short stops and working on the bike. But I mostly ride paved paths and it's easier to not pedal by accident.

Battery is in, key switch is on, and DISPLAY is turned off.

After my initial ideas regarding how I thought it should be done (with mixed results), I would encourage you try the entire "smooth" set of settings as trying a few here and there will have unpredictable results. There's just too much coordination between all of the various settings to make the "Smooth" work the way it does. Doesn't take but just a few minutes to do the whole thing, and if you don't like it, use the original settings that you saved (!!??) and switch it back. -Al

Thank you both, great advice!! Thank you.

However I do not have an on off switch once the display is unplugged so with the battery in its live at the Higo, will this be ok to plug the programming cable in when live?. My on off switch (except for remote display) is on the battery so have to remove the battery to switch on off, so can only have it on when I plug it into the bike..if it makes sense lol.

I'll definitely try the smooth settings once I figure out I'm not going to blow anything regarding battery.

Does the smooth settings only come into effect in sport mode and if so what settings will it read in eco?..

Thanks again all 👍👍👍

Notes from others regarding whether or not the display must be turned on or off are in error. Clearly when the display is unplugged it would make no difference.

Much the same regarding sport vs. eco settings to my way of thinking. Controller has 9 PAS levels total, and each receives a different setting in the smooth programming. You'll see that as you change the settings.

I've made all of my changes to date with the battery switch turned on, so yes, power is live at the connector.

Notes from others regarding whether or not the display must be turned on or off are in error. Clearly when the display is unplugged it would make no difference.

Much the same regarding sport vs. eco settings to my way of thinking. Controller has 9 PAS levels total, and each receives a different setting in the smooth programming. You'll see that as you change the settings.

I've made all of my changes to date with the battery switch turned on, so yes, power is live at the connector.
Note I clearly disagree
It is always best practice if possible to plug and unplug anything with power off, then power up.

I spose I could plug programming cable in get set then install the battery?..

Edit:

Or, with everything installed (batt and cable) then plug in the usb to my laptop?..

I spose I could plug programming cable in get set then install the battery?..

Edit:

Or, with everything installed (batt and cable) then plug in the usb to my laptop?..
Don't stress it too much.
I ASSumed you had a switch on the battery.
Though best practice and I follow it whenever possible, the devices here are pretty robust and low voltage/low current so you'll most likely be ok.
The USB cable is plug ń play so no worries about the laptop.
So... Whether you disconnect the battery or not, start with display off. Again, just best practice as having it on serves no purpose.
Disconnecting the battery and powering up last would be an extra safe step... Necessary? Since there is no manufacturer instructions, no one can say for certain.

Smooth settings added! No problems. I like it 👍

However the bike still has run off once I stop peddling, I feel this is scary?. Any ideas of best settings to eliminate this?...

Think I may go eggrider for the straight 9 speeds, long pressing + for sport mode is counter productive.

And now have throttle at ast 0, so thanks for that one 👍👍

Smooth settings added! No problems. I like it 👍

However the bike still has run off once I stop peddling, I feel this is scary?. Any ideas of best settings to eliminate this?...

Think I may go eggrider for the straight 9 speeds, long pressing + for sport mode is counter productive.

And now have throttle at ast 0, so thanks for that one 👍👍
Page 2 /Pedal Assist/Stop Delay is the primary motor run on setting.
Not sure what lower setting the Ultra can be set to but I don't think it is an issue with your motor as with the BBS02B which acts weird below 25.
I'd try 10 or 15 to start.
That said the bit of run on adds to smoothness and can also be used for shifting gears without stress on the drive train by shifting and stopping to pedal simultaneously... then the run on will complete the shift with little torque.
Additionally the break levers stop the motor instantaneously as well and once you get use to it, it really is a non issues.... YMMV

Yep got it dialed now thank you..

Smooth setting file used

Adjustments

Ast 1 and 1
Throttle 11 - 42
Start current 5

Pedal
Time of stop 10
Stop decay 0

Happy for now.

I have no brake or shift sensor so may have to adjust the start kg from 1 to a higher value so I can ghost pedal gears in.

I have hard wired an on off switch into the brake wires to give me some gear change emergency off lol . But getting there 👍

Thank you ever so much for replying greatly appreciated 👍

And thanks to ridetoglide for letting me hijack his thread 👍 the more the files the better

IMG_20210607_200136.jpg

As a visual reference this guys video was very helpful ( this is not smooth settings)...

Just so members are aware as maybe some confusion mine is not a Frey, so you may want to ignore my settings thinking about it 👍.

I built my own from frame upwards.

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_121355.jpg
    IMG_20210523_121355.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 257
Removed "smooth" settings and gone back to stock as it didn't really suit my riding/terrain style, few tweaks from the above video to remove motor overrun and Pas 1 and 1 and 2 magnets start kg reduced to 10, throttle 11 42. Feels more solid and punchy and very predictable. Like it so far.

Not sure what the OP's riding style is but I use my Ultra for suburban car replacement and need the motor to give consistent power flow even when ghost pedaling. Not sure if that's ideal for emtb but for the fellow commuters out there you might want to give these settings a shot... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4rBNGxSO7k

I did my best to explain my understanding of how the torque settings interact with each other.

I also just took a quick look at the Frey smooth settings, they're similar but most notably mine have Return(kg) set to 0 across the board, which I believe is what allows pas power to continue through the ghost pedal.

@Ridetoglide have you found your ideal settings yet?

Last edited:
Hey mxer does Andy know you have his bike? Two of my buddys have them, like them, paid to much for them too. Sounds like you got the frame only, smart. We adjusted the programming on theirs too to suit their riding style.

Back