What Are We Paying For?

You are kidding, right? I never know these days in our hyper PC new normal.

You get that quote was pretty misogynistic, right? We're a better forum than that. Still, it's been deleted so let's move on.

Interesting thread nonetheless. My ebike cost to the dollar what I sold my last car for.

The car could seat 5 adults and their luggage, sit as 110 comfortably, and had a range of 750 km.

My ebike seats one adult, cuts out support at 25 km/h and has a range of 150 km. Plus you get wet when it rains.

The car made me miserable on my commute, the bike brings me joy every morning and afternoon.

It doesn't take much to see the trickle on economic benefits either: one less car congesting the roads, public health and environmental savings. Society is pocketing those savings.

The point has been made here already that the law of diminishing returns kicks in with ebikes, like in all things. A $15k car provides essentially the same functionality as a $500k car. It just won't stroke your ego as much. If you want bleeding edge product you pay the premium. For the rest of us there's plenty of reasonably priced options on the market from $1k up.

I was shocked to see some of the specialized turbo creo models start at 15000USD.

You can buy a compact car for that money.

It will last a couple hundred thousand miles longer than the bike.

Crazy

I've told my wife that I should get extra credit - I moved from motorcycles directly into airplanes, without passing through boats first. I noted that I surely saved thousands, perhaps over a hundred thousand dollars - I'm sure that I should be able to get all the ebikes I want now, right?

I've told my wife that I should get extra credit - I moved from motorcycles directly into airplanes, without passing through boats first.

I noted that I surely saved thousands, perhaps over a hundred thousand dollars - I'm sure that I should be able to get all the ebikes I want now, right?

Check with the wife first... ;)

I've told my wife that I should get extra credit - I moved from motorcycles directly into airplanes, without passing through boats first. I noted that I surely saved thousands, perhaps over a hundred thousand dollars - I'm sure that I should be able to get all the ebikes I want now, right?
Just be sure one of the ebikes you buy is for her and you'll be golden. Nancy loves her ebike and fully supports my obsession.

DSCF0050 - Copy.JPG

Can’t seem to interest my wife in one even though she rides an analog bike and enjoyed a test ride.

In my case, my wife and I had an epiphany about 2 years ago in Cortez, Colorado. We were in an RV park for a couple of months, and as always, brought two of our traditional bikes with us. One day, we got back from a hilly ride and we both said, almost simultaneously ... " I hate hills". LOL. Our neighbor had a RadRover and let us try it, and there was no going back. When we got home we sold 8 traditional bikes (mtb, hybrid, road and folding ... each) and purchased 2 commuter style e-bikes.

We were motivated to keep riding, but our abilities all of a sudden took the pleasure out of it. Actually, if I was younger, I would keep a couple of my traditional bikes, but right at 70 ish for us, the e-bikes have kept the pleasure in our biking trips and adventures. When we see a long hill now, we smile and climb on

Last edited:
No I didn’t spend $6k on my ebike. I guess that proves I’m not hysterical about it but then I think that word just doesn’t apply to ebikes. People spend ridiculous (IMO) money on LOTS of stuff that make no sense. At least these make great sense to me in the scheme of things.
My opinion, especially as I get into my later 60s, is that life is short (even shorter now!) and we need to do this while we can. One of my brothers died in his early 50s. Watching him die so young really changed my attitude so I say go for if you can while you can!
I used to shove the cost of a decent ebike up my nose during a good weekend in the 80's.....it's all pretty relative.

I have often wondered the same thing as to why some of these ebikes are so expensive. And I am not talking abut bikes with things like carbon frame. Just a decent looking bike with 600w of battery, 300w of motor, decent front suspension and no quality issues. That thing is over $3000.
Here is an electric scooter from NIU with 3500w of motor, 2100w of battery, dual suspension and overall great ride quality for $5500.

I guess it’s all about scale and competitio

obviously there are many who think pricing is based on what’s its worth to you and are happy to pay the price. That’s great.

I used to shove the cost of a decent ebike up my nose during a good weekend in the 80's.....it's all pretty relative.
Well, don’t know about that but I’ve wasted my share of money in my life. Certainly can’t remember spending that kind of money in a good weekend though.🤔

It’s all relative. I’m watching an old Fantomworks show where some guy spent over $14k in just parts fixing (not restoring) on an old ‘64 MB SL his mom used to drive. Probably triple that in labor!

Agree 100%... don't forget ponies and midgets (PC little horses and people)! ;)
Too funny.....happy cycling all...started raining here today, hoping for a few more sunny weeks before I have to mothball my bike for the winter. Cycling is like baseball and golf; best served with healthy portions of sunshine and warmth.

You get that quote was pretty misogynistic, right? We're a better forum than that. Still, it's been deleted so let's move on.

Interesting thread nonetheless. My ebike cost to the dollar what I sold my last car for.

The car could seat 5 adults and their luggage, sit as 110 comfortably, and had a range of 750 km.

My ebike seats one adult, cuts out support at 25 km/h and has a range of 150 km. Plus you get wet when it rains.

The car made me miserable on my commute, the bike brings me joy every morning and afternoon.

It doesn't take much to see the trickle on economic benefits either: one less car congesting the roads, public health and environmental savings. Society is pocketing those savings.

The point has been made here already that the law of diminishing returns kicks in with ebikes, like in all things. A $15k car provides essentially the same functionality as a $500k car. It just won't stroke your ego as much. If you want bleeding edge product you pay the premium. For the rest of us there's plenty of reasonably priced options on the market from $1k up.

Haha actually to be accurate the message was crude but if you consider it misogynistic then you are being misogynistic because you are assuming only men can use that quote....

Back