Well, I went ahead and ordered the Vado 5.0 IGH

bikeroc

Region
USA
Maybe I am crazy with all the complaints but I was amazed to see it back up after disappearing from the Specialized site and still on sale. I am not at all mechanical but do know I want a belt-driven bike and I love my Specialized non-motor road bike. I am going to try it for the 30 days and if it's a lemon and I am going to get a Priority Current. Any tips on the CADENCE issue would be most appreciated- such as how to adjust it. I welcome all optimism and advice!!

My understanding is that the cadence setting in mission control essentially overrides the settings made possible via bluetooth and the enviolo app. Which means you have (I think) only the five or so ambiguously named cadence settings in mission control (slowest....slow...normal etc). I think in Enviolo's app you have more flexibility and the slowest settable cadence is 45 . Not sure what the actual cadence is when set to "slowest" in mission control. I do remember wishing Specialized provided more control over cadence than the fixed settings. I rode one, was kind of captivated by the tech of the thing, tried to sort through the confusing lengthy posts re cadence and drew the above conclusions but eventually decided to purchase an SL. Anyone else want to chime in on this one?

The cadence step settings of 'Slowest" to "Fastest" are crude steps of RPMs and you usually only set this up once and then leave it on the level that suits you based on how tall you are, your natural leg power and riding style. But while riding you can use the controller to adjust the cadence in smaller steps but I hardly ever use this. And yes - you can adjust the power support settings on the App in the "Tune" setting to customize the Eco, Sport or Turbo modes to suit your style of riding. So have a play to get a feel for what suits you. Also - you can download the Enviolo app which connects directly to your IGH. It has its own settings where you can override some of the Specialized setting for rpm. Specialized "Slowest" is 65rpm I think - but the Enviolo app setting can go down to 50rpm. It also has setting to customize the starting take off gear ratio. So - a lot of setting to play around with and it may take a while for you to get a feel for what works for you - or what settings you like for different rides. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you like!

The cadence step settings of 'Slowest" to "Fastest" are crude steps of RPMs and you usually only set this up once and then leave it on the level that suits you based on how tall you are, your natural leg power and riding style. But while riding you can use the controller to adjust the cadence in smaller steps but I hardly ever use this. And yes - you can adjust the power support settings on the App in the "Tune" setting to customize the Eco, Sport or Turbo modes to suit your style of riding. So have a play to get a feel for what suits you. Also - you can download the Enviolo app which connects directly to your IGH. It has its own settings where you can override some of the Specialized setting for rpm. Specialized "Slowest" is 65rpm I think - but the Enviolo app setting can go down to 50rpm. It also has setting to customize the starting take off gear ratio. So - a lot of setting to play around with and it may take a while for you to get a feel for what works for you - or what settings you like for different rides. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you like!
Thank you for this! Sounds like it'a a process! I think my concern is that I have read that to get to maximum speed the cadence is really high- is there a way to correct that with Mission Control or the Enviolo app?

Thank you for this! Sounds like it'a a process! I think my concern is that I have read that to get to maximum speed the cadence is really high- is there a way to correct that with Mission Control or the Enviolo app?
This is I think the main question people have had and is hard to really get my head around. These factors would seem to all be functions of each other(?)

In the case of the enviolo automatiq, the bike presumably does its best to keep cadence at a static pace set by the user, and the hub changes gearing automatically to accomplish that. I guess the question is are these bikes ever getting into the highest gear, and at what speed and cadence? If the lowest possible cadence setting (i.e. "slowest") is 65 rpm as Tim suggests, thats still relatively high. And as I said, there were reports that the enviolo app was pretty much useless with regard to setting cadence because it was said that Specialized's fixed settings override any changes made via bluetooth using the enviolo app.

This is I think the main question people have had and is hard to really get my head around. These factors would seem to all be functions of each other(?)

In the case of the enviolo automatiq, the bike presumably does its best to keep cadence at a static pace set by the user, and the hub changes gearing automatically to accomplish that. I guess the question is are these bikes ever getting into the highest gear, and at what speed and cadence? If the lowest possible cadence setting (i.e. "slowest") is 65 rpm as Tim suggests, thats still relatively high. And as I said, there were reports that the enviolo app was pretty much useless with regard to setting cadence because it was said that Specialized's fixed settings override any changes made via bluetooth using the enviolo app.
For me as a very non-mechanical person, the choice came down to regular chain upkeep vs the headache of managing the IGH cadence issues. I hope I made the right choice as I don't see myself doing weekly maintenance on a chain. But maybe I could get by with less than weekly maintenance? I actually love biking and having speed and control are thrilling but maintenance would be a joy killer

I just got off the phone with an absolutely wonderful Specialized rep. After talking to him, I decided I might be happier with the chain version and he suggested I really consider the 4.0 rather than the 5.0. Thanks for your input everybody!

Last edited:
These were also hard decisions for me. There is no real “best” decision because they all involve trade offs. I was fascinated with the advantages and tech of the belt drive enviolo automatiq but I ultimately decided the “feel” of the ride on the heavier bikes kind of killed the nimble “feel” that I associate with biking. So despite my fascination with the more sophisticated tech of the 5.0 IGH, I ended up deciding that for me the SL is a better fit.

Yes - there is a thread here about only getting up to 45kph after getting up and over 100rpm, which was rather hard on the legs as you are really spinning! But this is mostly due to Specialized putting a larger 24 t cog on the rear (apparently other models had 22t and they have now changed this model to 22t). I had mine changed out to a 22t and it is much better and more responsive. I reach 45kph at around 80-ish rpm which is easy to achieve. Getting your head around all the cadence setting with a IGH is not easy - but the basic idea is the bike makes the gear selection for you - and humans being what we are we like to take control! But once you let it all happen and find a default setting that suits you and add power when needed - all you need to do is ride and enjoy the scenery :)

I read above about the concern not being able to get into the highest gear - the IGH will automatically select which is the best gear depending on a combination of factors such as amount of force you are putting down on the pedal as well as wheel resistance and spin,(ie torque and cadence sensing), and also the default starting cadence you selected, etc. You will automatically move into the highest gear on the flat or down hill if your pedal pace is easy, just as you will automatically go into the lowest gear as you pedal up a steep hill. You just pedal at your cadence you have selected and then the gears change based on the torque.

1687497108581.png

I'm afraid Enviolo AutomatiQ would end up in a mental hospital after a ride in such terrain. Or, myself :D

View attachment 156516
I'm afraid Enviolo AutomatiQ would end up in a mental hospital after a ride in such terrain. Or, myself :D
Really? Today I did a ride on Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia, the last time I was there I had a 1x12 cassette, there are many places there where the sand can bet 1-2 inches deep, when I got to these areas I would have to downshift quickly or I would not make it on the bike, today on my Vado IGH I didn’t have any problems maintaining 10 mph through the sand, help me understand why the IGH is a problem

Attachments

• IMG_2610.jpeg
    IMG_2610.jpeg
    720.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2608.jpeg
    IMG_2608.jpeg
    611.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2606.jpeg
    IMG_2606.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2610.jpeg
    IMG_2610.jpeg
    720.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2605.jpeg
    IMG_2605.jpeg
    671 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2606.jpeg
    IMG_2606.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2605.jpeg
    IMG_2605.jpeg
    671 KB · Views: 147
Really? Today I did a ride on Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia, the last time I was there I had a 1x12 cassette, there are many places there where the sand can bet 1-2 inches deep, when I got to these areas I would have to downshift quickly or I would not make it on the bike, today on my Vado IGH I didn’t have any problems maintaining 10 mph through the sand, help me understand why the IGH is a problem
assuming it’s reliable, IGH is great for really rough, long distance riding. tons of people do the tour divide and similar long distance, off road, mud and rock and sand filled ultra endurance rides with belt drive rohloffs, in particular.

I think the question is not IGH or not, it’s whether the enviolo is as reliable as the older types of IGH.

I haven't really heard much talk about enviolo being less reliable than the other hubs some of which employ actual internal gearing. The enviolo is being used in large deployments of rental bikes in numerous places I believe. That is a big bet in favor of the durability of the product. Most of the dissatisfaction I've heard expressed relates to the fact that some folks were dissatisfied at the speeds they could achieve without reaching and sustaining what felt to them like superhumanly fast cadences. There was a mention of a rear cog change that helps. I would feel comfortable betting on the reliability of the enviolo.

Nothing beats the ole goode chain :) No competing cyclist uses an IGH.

tons of people do the tour divide and similar long distance
Especially not in gravel ultramarathons. The weight. Lower efficiency of the IGH compared to the chain.

Nothing beats the ole goode chain :) No competing cyclist uses an IGH.

Especially not in gravel ultramarathons. The weight. Lower efficiency of the IGH compared to the chain.
Sorry about the double photos, I am in a low phone reception and it did not look like they were downloading. With all due respect Stefan I’m 70 and not likely to be racing anywhere, except maybe to the next restaurant……. I noticed yesterday that you cannot change gears faster than the auto shift in undesirable conditions,that is more desirable to me than if I can run 28mph for a mile or two, a lot of negative comments about this hub, just trying to show the other side because people seem to be choosing their purchases on what they read ….

I went for the 5.0 over the 4.0 for the following reasons:-
  • More powerful motor (I'm a heavy rider)
  • Better front fork
  • Better brakes. (Very important on a heavy bike)
  • Rear Radar
The feature that surprised me the most was the radar on the rear of the 5.0, it has saved me a few times from nutcase drivers.

Where I live the price difference was only $400 extra over the 4.0 so for me the better spec was a no brainer.

Anyway congratulation on your purchase, and we look forward to seeing some pictures when your bike arrives.

Back