Weighing online brands vs. in-store, a few brands for fast 12-mi commuter

nerdymobile

I had a Juiced CCS that was stolen. I loved the bike - when it worked correctly. But I had a frequent (though intermittent) problem with it throwing an error that I hadn't come to resolution on and the motor would stop working. There's nothing that puts a bigger drag on a day than losing power halfway through a 12- mile commute and riding a 60 lb bike on a hilly ride.

Ideally, I'd like to ride 3+ days a week (24 miles a day roundtrip ). I ride through DC in traffic and want to be able to go high speed to move when I need to. I loved the performance on the Juiced CCS - fast acceleration (augmented by throttle on occasion, usually just pedals). There's a fairly big climb at one point on my commute in both directions, so I need something to handle that.

My debate now is on a few fronts:
1) Do I buy a CCX, given its high value for performance? Not sure if I'm willing to deal with technical problems that I try to work out via email. Hard to tell what the odds are I'll have an issue again.
2) Do I buy in-store, expecting that I'll get better in-person warranty service for issues, which warrants the general higher prices?
3) If not the CCX, the other compelling 28mph/Class 3 ones that are interesting to me are the Haibike Trekking S 9.0 (at nearly twice the price), the Bulls SIX50 E 2 Street, and maybe the IZip E3 Moda/Raleigh IE Redux

I want 28mph, a commuter friendly config (integrated lights, rack, etc), power to get up hills, enough battery capacity to make sure one round-trip is never in question.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if there's any that I may be missing? I prefer step-over/diamond to step-through frames, and I can't resist some preference for an integrated battery from a stealthy looks perspective.

Also - I'm going to test ride some mid-drives and see how they compare to my prior hub experience. I know there are volumes written on this, but hard to really tell without feeling it.

I rode my Bosch mid-drive for a couple of years before switching to a hub drive. The thing that got tiresome on the mid-drive setup was all of the drivetrain maintenance and wear. The bike went through a chain and cassette every 2500 miles. There's something to be said about the simplicity of less gears and a hub drive that isn't straining the chain.

Since I have direct comparison to a couple of friends that have purchased the newer CCX, I can say that it's a nice bike at a good price if you're willing to stay in the Juiced Bike brand. I found that I could ride the CCX and maintain 28mph. Most riders won't be able to maintain 28mph on any other store bought ebike except for maybe a Stromer.

For urban commuting, I'm also a big proponent of having a throttle. Having a throttle allows me to keep my head up and scanning the roadway for crazy drivers and traffic without diverting my attention back to pedaling and shifting.

I rode the Yamaha Cross Connect today. It just didn't quite do it for me. The power dropout as I got to 20mph just doesn't seem like what I'm looking for on my commute. Definitely needs to be a 28mph/Class 3.

Most riders won't be able to maintain 28mph on any other store bought ebike except for maybe a Stromer.
Well that's just not true. If you said some riders, for some brands, then maybe. Otherwise it's a rather mis informed, and broad exaggeration based on a lot of riders simply being out of shape, rather than other brands of ebikes not being powerful enough or fast enough. A lot of riders probably can't do 20 mph for very long, on ebikes that are easily capable of 28 mph. mostly has to do with physics and what it takes in terms of energy from both the rider and the motor.

A hub drive bike with a geared hub is, I believe, going to mean less maintenance and higher reliability for your 75 miles a week of commuting. Just my two cents. :)

Also - I'm going to test ride some mid-drives and see how they compare to my prior hub experience. I know there are volumes written on this, but hard to really tell without feeling it.

Are you looking at online purchase or lbs?
I’m really lovin’ my Specialized speed pedelec. Yes price might be an issue but you would get the support in the event of any problems.
Looking forward to to photo of your new ebike.

Well that's just not true. If you said some riders, for some brands, then maybe. Otherwise it's a rather mis informed, and broad exaggeration based on a lot of riders simply being out of shape, rather than other brands of ebikes not being powerful enough or fast enough. A lot of riders probably can't do 20 mph for very long, on ebikes that are easily capable of 28 mph. mostly has to do with physics and what it takes in terms of energy from both the rider and the motor.

Interesting point, Mike’s Ebikes.
My store bought Specialized Vado speed pedelec flys! I’m a whimpy person with a “creaky” knee and have no problem holding 24-27 mph, even in a headwind.

I don't need to necessarily need to go 28mph sustained, but having assist to maintain low-mid 20s makes a big difference on speeding up my commute.

You for sure should check out the Specialized line of Ebikes. I was completely blown away when I rode these. I did choose a class 1 Ebike because it is the law here in South Dakota. I wanted a Specialized BAD!!! But in the end the price and availability in my area killed me. Charlie on here....he has a bike shop in Seattle chose a Specialized out of EVERY HIGH END bike you can think of. I think that alone speaks volumes. I chose a Giant Lafree E + 2...… but seriously the Specialized Ebikes are SOOOOO impressive.

I had a Juiced CCS that was stolen. I loved the bike - when it worked correctly. But I had a frequent (though intermittent) problem with it throwing an error that I hadn't come to resolution on and the motor would stop working. There's nothing that puts a bigger drag on a day than losing power halfway through a 12- mile commute and riding a 60 lb bike on a hilly ride.

Ideally, I'd like to ride 3+ days a week (24 miles a day roundtrip ). I ride through DC in traffic and want to be able to go high speed to move when I need to. I loved the performance on the Juiced CCS - fast acceleration (augmented by throttle on occasion, usually just pedals). There's a fairly big climb at one point on my commute in both directions, so I need something to handle that.

1) Do I buy a CCX, given its high value for performance? Not sure if I'm willing to deal with technical problems that I try to work out via email. Hard to tell what the odds are I'll have an issue again.
2) Do I buy in-store, expecting that I'll get better in-person warranty service for issues, which warrants the general higher prices?
3) If not the CCX, the other compelling 28mph/Class 3 ones that are interesting to me are the Haibike Trekking S 9.0 (at nearly twice the price), the Bulls SIX50 E 2 Street, and maybe the IZip E3 Moda/Raleigh IE Redux

I want 28mph, a commuter friendly config (integrated lights, rack, etc), power to get up hills, enough battery capacity to make sure one round-trip is never in question.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if there's any that I may be missing? I prefer step-over/diamond to step-through frames, and I can't resist some preference for an integrated battery from a stealthy looks perspective.

You should go with an Bh easy motion Nitro city.
I think is easily the best Speed pedelec out there and let me tell you why.

First eliminate the Juiced, smtms. Unreliable and lower quality parts.
Eliminate the Izip\Raleigh, they won’t keep you going at 27-28mph.

And a big surprise for you. After I changed my chainring from a 48t to 52t 104bcd (not easy to find, only 20$ insetad of 200$ for a new crank) ,
The NITRO goes now 31-32mph in level 4/5 on flat with no headwind or very little.

2nd- ZERO ISSUES. Try that with A Stromer, I guarantee you there will be issues.

Now the HAIBIKE and BULLS which i do like i do not know if they keep 30-32mph since they have a mid drive motor. And also they have 500wh packs.

And 3rd /L-NITRO had a 600wh battery. I carry a spare which is only 750$ compared to 1k for a Bosch pack. With 2 packs i do 100miles+.
And the motor puts out 860watts in peak with 90nm.
The bike also weights 48 lb w/o the front shock (carbon mtn. Bike fork, carbon post/single chainring combo)

One of this days i’ll make some vids, or invite a pro tester -to review the 2019 one. Had no time, this girlfriend is too much fun to ride ? !

What is your price range ?

OP here. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I'm debating between the BH Nitro City Pro and the Stromer ST2.

$1800 for the Evo, $3500 for the Stromer. Both are a great deal compared to typical pricing. It seems like I could go for the Stromer and if I don't like it, maybe still come out ahead reselling it. Given that my last bike was stolen, it's hard to overlook the anti theft features of the ST2 plus great performance. Seems like a legit high mileage commuter.

I saw PP's glowing endorsement of the Evo. The price is amazing.

Tough call. Opinions?

OP here. I know this is going to sound crazy, but I'm debating between the BH Nitro City Pro and the Stromer ST2.

$1800 for the Evo, $3500 for the Stromer. Both are a great deal compared to typical pricing. It seems like I could go for the Stromer and if I don't like it, maybe still come out ahead reselling it. Given that my last bike was stolen, it's hard to overlook the anti theft features of the ST2 plus great performance. Seems like a legit high mileage commuter.

Tough call. Opinions?

The battery for Nitro city is 750$ and for the Stromer if you get the 1k pack is 1999$ for the spare.

And yea that’s a great deal for either one !
It was and still is 3500$ the Nitro and St2 6-7K.

If you ride in a city the EVO is by far better b/c is very agile and lighter weight vs ST2. It will still get lots of attention and compliments...
I tryed thr ST1X before settling on the EVO.

And is very reliable.

I needed a new kickstand, i got it 2 days later. Their technical support and warranty is 5years and far above Stromers. Huge warehouse and center in the US. Stromer is on it’s way out of the Us.

What i do like about the ST2 is the 4amp charger. But a fast charger can be custom built for Bh also.
For a long ride 45miles and UP, above 24-25mph avg. , for either one you will need a spare... whatever they mention with the max .125mile range is faaar away from reality.

With the 1.2kw total capacity i can do 60-75miles in level 4.
Level 5 is above ST2 acceleration and speeds. Only the ST5 had Sport mode and is faster with nicer hardware ...yea i admit it @10k it better be.
The Nitro on level 5 Is like on steroids, very responsive and also very fast on the ?. With the 52t ring i do 30-32mph on flats.

I haven’t seen another one where i am based , b/c people get what the market feeds them..Pedegos, Juiced, Stromers, Magnums, Haibikes...

Wishing to you a good decision and a worry free enjoyment ?

Tough call. Opinions?
I’m no expert, but I went with a Gazelle CityZen T10 Speed for the comfort, reliability, trusted brand (they’ve been around for 100+ years), high quality components, and super slick Dutch styling. I maintain 27-28mph on a 10 mile each way NYC commute pretty easily, at least in non congested areas. Worth at least taking a look. Court really seemed to love it in his review too.

Closer to 3k is preferable. I could see going to 4k for something high performance and super reliable.

In your price range 3-4K ( If needed ) you should be able to find a very nice e-bike to meet your needs. There are as many quality bikes in that range as there
are opinions. Enjoy the search....

I rather not be called misinformed but I did say that MOST not all riders won’t be able to maintain 28mph. This isn’t a insult to people’s fitness level. I’ve based this observation on testing dozens of different eBike motor systems.

Yes, speed is going to be a combination of rider input and motor power, but what I disagree with and want people to know about is the reality of a Class 3, 28mph bike is not exactly as advertised. Motor assist will taper off as you get to the 28mph limit. There will be those people that can put down hundreds of human watts continuously, but the average rider will not.

Hi,

I have an iZip Moda e3. The one with the Brose drive, not the 2019 model where they now use Bosch. I have test driven literally dozens of different makes/models of e-bikes and I HIGHLY recommend the Brose. It is the quietest, most natural feeling drive system I have encountered. I also have read reviews by Court on this site where he said that Brose was his favorite drive system too.

I have noticed incredible range with my Moda and have no problems going way too fast with it. A co-worker has an iZip Moda and he has a 19 mile commute each way from his house to work. He is not very fit and said he goes 23+ the majority of the way to cut down on the commute time. He has said that he has commuted several times at about 56 minutes, so he is averaging over 19 mph over the entire trip.

I only have about 800 miles on my iZip Moda so I can't say definitively, but I had a ride where I went 9 miles in 27 minutes from a friends house to my house through the center of the city I live in. I had to stop multiple times to cross roads but I still maintained a 20 mph average over the entire route and while moving I was probably going 22-24 the majority of the time and I did not have it on the highest assist level.

I have gone on at least 3 trips of between 40 and 50 miles where I still had 50% of the battery left after the trip on the Moda, but I am not trying to go 28. If you are happy with under 20 I think you can easily go 80 miles on a charge. I can go 28mph easily, but I have never tried to go that fast over an extended distance. Personally, I feel that it is great to have the possibility to go 28 or fast, but I don't want to stay at that speed because I feel if you were to crash the consequences would be much worse than say 20 or slower. I like the ability to jump up to 28 to move with car traffic, but I mostly don't bike where I need to be in traffic with cars as I don't feel safe doing that.

Thanks,
Rick

I ride Aventon Pace 500 Sport small frame weighing around 47lbs. At 73 with bad knees I can easily ride 28 mph with average pedaling effort in top PAS in comfortable full upright position. Pace 500 also has computer option for 31 mph. I tried that for a few rides. Exhilarating is the word that comes to mind! Battery usage level was obviously stepped up but I still got home after my usual daily 33 mile ride. It was fun to see what this value ebike could do but I don’t like riding that fast. My average is 17 mph now with the computer reset to 28 mph assist limit.

Back