Wearable

ruffruff

What is everyone wearing for fitness tracking.
I bought a Samsung Active2 and took it back after two weeks.

It was OK for fitness tracking but it had so many other issues I returned it...It was a POS!

It's a taste Vs function ideal. I have an Active 2 on the shelf however my current everyday is a Withings Scanwatch... Love the multi week battery and classic analogue appeal

It's a taste Vs function ideal. I have an Active 2 on the shelf however my current everyday is a Withings Scanwatch... Love the multi week battery and classic analogue appeal
Never heard of them, I looked them up, interesting option.

a garmin GPS watch is great. you can add cadence and such to it if you get the right one. its pretty accurate too and will sync with your phone. I would use one if I did not already have a apple watch. I rather have a garmin for activities then a Apple Watch but I down want to deal with both.

a garmin GPS watch is great. you can add cadence and such to it if you get the right one. its pretty accurate too and will sync with your phone. I would use one if I did not already have a apple watch. I rather have a garmin for activities then a Apple Watch but I down want to deal with both.
I also had a Garmin vivomove hr, gave it away due to lack of accuracy in tracking anything involving distance. Seems counter intuitive for Garmin. The build quality is... well plastic. It did notifications ok. Avoid that model

What is everyone wearing for fitness tracking.
I bought a Samsung Active2 and took it back after two weeks.

It was OK for fitness tracking but it had so many other issues I returned it...It was a POS!
My wife gave me an Apple Watch 2 several years ago. I’ve dutifully worn it on occasion but honestly the only feature I’ve used was the walk and ride tracking. I’m waiting on the Apple Watch 7 to upgrade, this time to get fall detection, 5G connectivity, and music streaming. Strava supposedly works on the watch well these days. I will wear the watch only for rides though.

I don’t believe the heart monitor on the Apple Watch however. Perhaps it’s been updated, but when I compared it to the device my doctor attached to me for 24 hrs as part of a physical , it didn’t match well. I have another five-year physical coming next year so I can compare the Watch 7 - it has an ECG function also.

For ride tracking either ridewithgps on my cell phone or a Garmin Edge 1030.

For heart rate monitoring a Polar Watch is technically the best, and is compatible with the Edge. Getting the connectivity going can be a pain.

ya you need to spend little more.
$400 is a good amount for that bad experience. I'm sure like other brands Garmin has a few better experiences. I'd be curious to know what model you're recommending? Not that I would leave my Scanwatch it's been a really great watch for me

My wife gave me an Apple Watch 2 several years ago. I’ve dutifully worn it on occasion but honestly the only feature I’ve used was the walk and ride tracking. I’m waiting on the Apple Watch 7 to upgrade, this time to get fall detection, 5G connectivity, and music streaming. Strava supposedly works on the watch well these days. I will wear the watch only for rides though.

I don’t believe the heart monitor on the Apple Watch however. Perhaps it’s been updated, but when I compared it to the device my doctor attached to me for 24 hrs as part of a physical , it didn’t match well. I have another five-year physical coming next year so I can compare the Watch 7 - it has an ECG function also.
Heart monitor, ECG, and Blood Oxygen on my 6 have been compared to the real deals several times and are considered very reliable and accurate. I will say that during outdoor bike rides the heart rate doesn’t always seem to keep up but at the end of the ride the average reading seems right. Given my lower heart rate via my meds, that’s not a huge issue for me. I wear mine all the time, not just for rides.

Heart monitor, ECG, and Blood Oxygen on my 6 have been compared to the real deals several times and are considered very reliable and accurate. I will say that during outdoor bike rides the heart rate doesn’t always seem to keep up but at the end of the ride the average reading seems right. Given my lower heart rate via my meds, that’s not a huge issue for me. I wear mine all the time, not just for rides.
That’s good to find out. Actually I really hope a new Watch 7 would serve me well as an all around fitness monitor, bike computer/GPS, and on-ride Music entertainment system. Are you using it to track your rides as well?

I have a Sunnto 9 and its great, plenty of features and seems to be quite accurate. But I generally just use it for GPS tracking and notifications.

That’s good to find out. Actually I really hope a new Watch 7 would serve me well as an all around fitness monitor, bike computer/GPS, and on-ride Music entertainment system. Are you using it to track your rides as well?
Yes, I use the Outdoor Cycle exercise app built into my watch that works with my iPhone. It does mapping, weather, speed, splits, yada, yada. Way more than I need. It’s not as deep as some of the apps I see used on this site but I’m not out there sharing every nuance of my life globally either.
8A0EB787-C608-4F2F-8E2C-C245A96CAD32.jpeg

I have the Fitbit Sense, and really like it. The battery lasts at least 7-9 days, lightweight, weatherproof, has rounded corners so it doesn't snag on anything and has lots of different faces that you can change on a whim. I had the Samsung Watch 3, for about a week, only it needed charging almost every day! So I returned it and got the Sense. Another cool thing is the band, the end tucks up under the band so it doesn't stick out.

20210702_074735.jpg20210702_074540.jpg

Yes, I use the Outdoor Cycle exercise app built into my watch that works with my iPhone. It does mapping, weather, speed, splits, yada, yada. Way more than I need. It’s not as deep as some of the apps I see used on this site but I’m not out there sharing every nuance of my life globally either.
View attachment 91975
I think this is exactly where I want to be. For me the real results of the rides will be evident at the business end of my body on the scale. Perhaps I will always be skeptical a bit of the Apple Watch sensors, but perhaps they are good enough to see trends. All of the other functions, including fall detection and emergency notification, really round it out as way ahead of the others in my opinion. The one thing I don’t concern myself with as much is battery life because I’ll only wear it for rides.

I think this is exactly where I want to be. For me the real results of the rides will be evident at the business end of my body on the scale. Perhaps I will always be skeptical a bit of the Apple Watch sensors, but perhaps they are good enough to see trends. All of the other functions, including fall detection and emergency notification, really round it out as way ahead of the others in my opinion. The one thing I don’t concern myself with as much is battery life because I’ll only wear it for rides.
I wear mine all the time to call and answer the phone, message, watch videos, activate my iPhone camera, record voice messages, etc. I definitely wear it in case I have a serious bike crash so it will notify my next of kin.😳 I could probably get 2 or maybe three days battery but never really try.

That was one of the things that was appealing to me with the Samsung. It "had" NumberSynch so I didn't need my phone to make/receive phone calls. But that feature never worked right and that is the main reason I returned it.

I liked the SOS feature on it as I ride single track by myself on occasion.
I may hold out for the Google Pixel watch that "may" come out in October.

FYI Google bought FitBit.

I definitely wear it in case I have a serious bike crash so it will notify my next of kin.
Funny you should say that, an old colleague was actually saved by that feature after he slipped on icy steps going out into his backyard. He would’ve froze to death had it not been for a sheriff stopping by for a welfare check. I didn’t know that existed until a few months ago when I read his post on LinkedIn. I was very eager to get Watch 6 but was advised that I should wait for 7. I don’t know how the police or fire services will respond in Japan, but I hope my wife will come out to fetch me.

Also the original ridiculously expensive stainless bracelet on my current Watch 2 saved my wrist in a bike fall 3 years ago.

Back