Wave E-bike 499$ (another Storm/Indiegogo)

Is this a something that seems worth the risk?

No

Who will:
- service it?
- honor warranty?
- provide parts?

What is the previous track record of this seller in the ebike marketplace?

Will you even get anything? - and - if you do, will it quickly become a regret?

Stick with a proven manufacturer (best option) or, if cash tight, build your own conversion.

In the long video proving the 28 mile range, they are moving pretty fast relative to what is around them. At one point someone seems to throw a basketball at the rider, which tilts the camera for a while afterwards.
/\ It was actually a volleyball that I got hit with riding through Venice Beach. It was a nightmare trying to weave through traffic on that stretch of bike path, but I made it!

Who will:
- service it?
- honor warranty?
- provide parts?
We will ship replacement parts within the 1st year direct to owners if there are any issues with parts. At the end of the day we've been pretty transparent that our main mission is to offer a super affordable eBike to people with good specs. Bigger name brands with 10/10 quality eBikes have been around for quite some time now, at multi-thousand dollar price points, but not everyone wants or can dish out the money for something like that.

I posted the link below on the Sonders forum and I wanted to post it here too. It addresses the simple fact that when things appear to be too good to be true, they often are exactly that!

My message is simple: going with these crowdfunded ideas is a gamble, a risk, I think we all can agree that is true. So please remember the first rule of gambling, only gamble what you can afford to lose!

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/500-storm-e-bike-too-good-be-true-looks.html

Looks like Sondors is about to crash and burn, how do you think that will affect you?
What specifically happened recently that makes you say this about Sondors? I know they have had a ton of bad press and skepticism, but just curious if something new surfaced recently or not.

The Sondors campaign has negatively impacted us for several reasons. First, they ate up a ton of market share and potential customers we could have had, which was just our fault with bad timing and not being first out of the gate. Secondly, and I'm not sure if this has a bigger or lesser impact, but their awful reputation has made a lot of potential customers worried and skeptical about our campaign being legitimate or not. It's super unfortunate and I've tried being as involved and responsive to such concerns as much as I can. Hopefully Sondors doesn't set an indefinite bad image for the crowd funding world. Kickstarter and Indiegogo have created so many opportunities for people that wouldn't exist otherwise...

Storm is apparently in litigation with Agency 2.0. As far as I can tell, the Court proceedings will not happen until July 28th. That's pretty far after the scheduled delivery of the bikes. In other words, you'll know if they aren't delivering long before anything happens in court. If A 2.0 asked for a court order of some kind, they didn't get it, so they are stuck until almost August.

Details of the filing were not available and the court documents indicate a future hearing has been scheduled for July 28th in Santa Monica.Crowdfund Insider has contacted Agency 2.0, the Sondors campaign and Indiegogo for more information.

Many people who looked at this campaign said Agency 2.0 was totally wrong for an ebike campaign, that the campaign was at best heavy-handed. At best. Consider the photo, below. That's five (count 'em) Agency 2.0 personnel at an ebike Demo Day. An ebike Demo day. And look how they are dressed. Apparently the A2.0 colors are Black and Gray. Seems appropriate. The guy in the back was hovering right next to Court when he made the video.

Sondors-eBike-Santa-Monica-Demo-Day.jpg

You can't say Mike and Aaron are running a high pressure media campaign. When people sue each other, it's pretty clear the relationship is over. Who knows what Storm is planning, but A2 and IGG are pretty close, so I doubt he is going back there. He has a website. He says he is going to sell the bike. No one has filed criminal charges. Civil suits are a dime a dozen, especially in LA. It's better than people shooting each other.

I like Kickstarter a lot more than IGG. It pains me to see any campaign on IGG, simply because they seem to work closely with A2. But who knows what Aaron and Mike are looking at, what they need. If storm is walking away from A 2.0 my only advice is "Don't walk, Run." It's really a shame if Agency 2.0 is out of the ebike business.

One charge of the 48-12 battery should last most commuters the whole week? Ha ha

No questioning that the bike as promoted can't profitably be made for the price that's offered. No pointing out that you're probably just pouring your money into a black hole...

Not exactly journalism, more like a paid PR "puff piece".

One charge of the 48-12 battery should last most commuters the whole week? Ha ha

No questioning that the bike as promoted can't profitably be made for the price that's offered. No pointing out that you're probably just pouring your money into a black hole...

Not exactly journalism, more like a paid PR "puff piece".
I think one charge would actually last me a week if I only used it to commute to work. Then again, I live about a mile or so from work and work from home some days. I think most commuters would depend on where you are talking about. If you're only talking about the US then no. In the US that might be true for about 25% of commuters http://www.statisticbrain.com/commute-statistics/ :)

stevenast - you may well end up being right about this bike / campaign, but at this point you're basically down to trolling the thread.

Matthew, the post above mine was a link to a "puff piece" article promoting the "bike". I was simply responding.I believe there is room for debate on both sides.

Thanks for your consideration!

Matthew, the post above mine was a link to a "puff piece" article promoting the "bike". I was simply responding.I believe there is room for debate on both sides.

Thanks for your consideration!
Debate what, that I posted a link here? Yes I did. Debate that there is a press piece on the Wave? There is. I also posted a link earlier in this thread to show the Wave is "getting some traction with the online press".
New article about the Wave on Clapway: "Never Pedal Again With The Wave eBike". The title is a bit of a stretch! It's a puff-piece, not ground breaking stuff, but they are getting some traction with the online press. Thought supporters here may be interested. Shame Wave couldn't get Clapway a photo without that slanted battery racko_O

I noted "puff-piece" in my previous post, I don't have a need to post commentary in every post. There is nothing to debate, my post was just a link, nothing more! Sometimes it's just about providing information to the community that may otherwise be missed, simple as that.

The Wave is not my thing, but it may just be the perfect bike for some. It could be the perfect entry into ebiking. It could be the biggest piece of junk ever bolted together, I have no idea. There are people lurking here on EBR considering the Wave and with the knowledge base posted here on inexpensive Chinese ebikes and crowd-funded ebikes, an informed decision can be formed.

I ask your forgiveness if I used the wrong term, "debate". I'm not debating you, you're correct, all you did was post a link, I'm debating what the link had to say. PR like that is worthy of analysis, don't you agree?

I ask your forgiveness if I used the wrong term, "debate". I'm not debating you, you're correct, all you did was post a link, I'm debating what the link had to say. PR like that is worthy of analysis, don't you agree?
It's a new day... ;)

Tom Gin posted some pictures of the Demo Day:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...621.1073741871.1318331660&type=1&l=cc70854f43

I'd say the weather sucked. I have to compare it to the Storm Demo days, where A2.0 sent five goo, er, guys, to keep everybody in line. A bit more casual. The Poodle seemed to like it.

I've read stuff from Mr. Gin on the IGG forums. Fairly toxic stuff. And then I see a guy with a nice bike and a nice dog, in a bright blue shirt, big smile, and all I can say is "What the heck went wrong over there?"

All you can say about the bike is that it is very, very basic. The brakes look fine, the motor is a basic DD motor, the battery is OK with the older Samsung cells. It looks nice enough, but not what they are selling in 2015. Building a bike like that is not rocket science.

If you want people to get some exercise, you really need gears. That would be my biggest gripe.

Maybe Aaron will get some better weather today.

Reposting link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2089&v=NWaIhqTj5NE
He just rolls along with his likely non-producion power. It looks like he barely misses pedestrians and other bicyclists(35:20 one example), blasting through them, like slowing down or being polite would ruin his video.

Doesn't this project just feel .... "off" a bit?

Last edited:
The guy running the campaign meets you at the beach. He answers your questions. He explains how he puts the bike together, why it costs what it costs, with the shipping. He lets you ride the bike, examine it in detail. Maybe he explains how CF works, if you ask.

Haibike dealers don't seem to like giving test rides. You have to qualify. Curry/Haibike/Accel don't explain their costs, their prices.

I wish he'd start with a little more advanced bike, but I've examined the battery costs on the China sites, and this is pretty doable for this frame and motor. Not what you want? So be it.

Back