Waterproofing my connections

SweetTrade324

Region
USA
Wanted any help in ways to waterproof my connections and controller. I’ve read about siliconing the controller and connections After putting on dielectric grease. Liquid tape has been suggested along with electrical tape. There is also ACF50 or corrosion x. I was thinking the liquid tape or silicone but wonder how hard it would be to remove if I needed to switch or something. Thank you community!

don't use the grease use this. I have used it to waterproof electronics. I an actually use them under water after it dries.
Do I just apply it directly with nothing else sealing it? Can I just spray the outside of the controller or do I open it?

Waterproof implies it can be submerged for a short period of time. You can't waterproof components and hardware that is not made waterproof. Water resistant is the best you will get.

Do I just apply it directly with nothing else sealing it? Can I just spray the outside of the controller or do I open it?
I would use it on your connections. I don't know how it would do with the heat. I had one of those cheap garage door openers I took it apart sprayed its down well let it dry and then ran water over it and it worked fine while the water was running over it and it has been on my bike for 2 years and countless rain rides.

I have had some problems using dielectric grease for water proofing on a Rad rover e-bike motor connecter where the grease partially isolated the electrical pins from their connections.

I've had good luck with this Loctite silicone sealant:

I use it to seal cable openings, housings and around the outside of connector joints. it dries to a rubbery consistency in about an hour and remains flexible. It can easily be removed to separate parts when necessary.

I have had some problems using dielectric grease for water proofing on a Rad rover e-bike motor connecter where the grease partially isolated the electrical pins from their connections.
Common mistake.
You only apply it to the plastic/rubber housing of connectors, not the actual copper pins/socket. Used properly it works very well.

I've had good luck with this Loctite silicone sealant:

I use it to seal cable openings, housings and around the outside of connector joints. it dries to a rubbery consistency in about an hour and remains flexible. It can easily be removed to separate parts when necessary.
I've found that silicone doesn't stay stuck well to plastics and rubber and can actually trap water underneath over time. Though 3m mentions vinyl and rubber as recommended surfaces, but not plastics.
Personally I prefer some sort of silicone spray or grease. Faster and easier to make neat and clean and then disassemble if necessary.

Back