Water Bottles

Noticed a Contigo insulated mug lying on the ground a few yards from the gravel bike path. No one took it, as it was the first month of Covid lockdown, The second week, I figured the owner hadn't come by. I picked it up, sterilized it, and have used it ever since.

It's so good with ice and hot drinks both that I bought a second one, 20 bucks on amazon, plus a handlebar carrier. Put it on my wife's bike.

Total weight weenie. I have a behind-the-seat micro water bottle for rides up to 15 miles.

Over 15 miles, I add a body-sling bottle-holder for a small, generic plastic water bottle because all of it weighs less than a cage and standard bottle.

On a really long ride, I might stop in somewhere and buy a second bottle of water, recycling the first, but I will probably reuse the bottle with filtered tap water. Every 'disposable' plastic item gets used at least twice in this house, more if possible.

The ice-in-a-bottle thing is appealing to me not so much because of the insulation, but if it provided body cooling on a hot day if it was slung over my back! I might try an ice bottle at some point. I might not feel it through my body armor, but just rubbing it over my face when I stop would be helpful. It's HOT when I start my summer rides.

I use a pair of these:

710bzeiVp1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I keep them in cages mounted to the stem riser. Easy to grab and gulp while riding with the push of a button.

P1080712b.jpg
P1080406b.jpg

Last edited:
I use a 3L Camelbak, had the better half sew up a Mylar Foam sleeve, shiny side out,
to fit around the main bladder bag, I place the main bladder bag with the Mylar sleeve in the freezer for a hour or so, before hitting the 100*+ degree hot weather riding etc.
The Mylar keep the outside heat off the bladder bag and keeps it cool for several hours, and I like the cooling of the Camelbak on my back when riding,
I hate hot water.
YMMV,
Don

I used to use the Camelbak Podium Insulated with ice. My last ride was about 4 hrs in 82 degree F temperatures. After 2 hrs, the water was already warm. Now I'm trying this one which is metal insulated and fits in my water bottle cage.

31MjCfSst0S.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Fun fact: Every time I order bike parts, I also pick up a water bottle or 3. Alway non-insulated, but try to pick up something different every time. I use them all over the place...at the office, around the house, keep a couple in the truck, on trips, etc. I have an unhealthy collection at this point, but everybody collects something weird, right?

Used to be a Camelbak guy, but at some point decided to stop carrying weight on my back if possible. No going back to that. Weight is better carried on the bike.

Still using the Camelbak, but with an extra long hose, CB attached to bike,
either front or back depending on the way I pack everything, for what ever trip..

I like my BlueDorado bottle and have already the second one for maybe two years or so. Would probably still use the first one, if my wife wouldn't lose it somewhere. Anyway, there are couple of more great options here https://bikecyclingreviews.com/best-bike-water-bottles-review/, depending on the size you need and the bottle holder which you have on your bicycle. The design is also not the last thing which should be considered.

Last edited:
my wife hates bottle taste so thats the thing. we got her a lifestrpaw and that works but the flow is too slow.
I also don't like the taste of most water bottles. I invested in a Purist bottle (they're expensive!). Purist bottles are steel, insulated, and the inside is lined with a very thin 60nm layer of glass. Drinking from a Purist bottle is just like drinking from a glass, tastewise.

I like refilled (city water) Pepsi Zero & diet Sunkist 20 oz bottles. The narrow waist fits those bottle clips that I took off the Pacific Quantum MTBs. Even upside down. No taste. Made in USA. 2 in the winter, 3 in the summer. One in a clip bolted to the battery frame (front), two in the pannier.

Chilled water is totally unnecessary. Wet is wet when you are thirsty. No one in our AZ riding group carries an insulated bottle. Biking or hiking. Save your money, go natural.

Chilled water is totally unnecessary. Wet is wet when you are thirsty. No one in our AZ riding group carries an insulated bottle. Biking or hiking. Save your money, go natural.

I do not ride during the hotter parts of Summer here without freezing bottles first. It makes a massive difference. Ain't nobody got time for 100 degree water

I do not ride during the hotter parts of Summer here without freezing bottles first. It makes a massive difference. Ain't nobody got time for 100 degree water
Do you drink hot coffee or tea? Neither do I. Ain’t got time for 100 degree flavored water. I love the taste of water. Ice cold is also good and refreshing, but not so great that I will hassle with packing it.

Do you drink hot coffee or tea? Neither do I. Ain’t got time for 100 degree flavored water. I love the taste of water. Ice cold is also good and refreshing, but not so great that I will hassle with packing it.

Not the same thing lol. I do not drink coffee while trying to stay cool.

Nothing to pack. Just keep some frozen bottles in the freezer then choose them over ones that are not frozen when going on a longer ride on a hot day :)

Back