Washing the eBike with Hub Motor with Water. Be either very careful or don't do it.

Urbancowboy

Region
Canada
Yesterday I changed out the defective Motor Core for the new one which I received a few days ago. Now I have a complete spare Rear Wheel with Tire ready to change it with the one in my Bike if that one develops a problem. This was not difficult at all after watching again the very good Fucare Video how to do it.

Another thing I learned is, it is a Bad Idea to spray wash an Hub Motor. Hub Motors may resist Water ingress but are definitely not Waterproof. Once Water is inside, it cant get out and it surly will start corroding parts. Unless you wish to get onto your Bike Mechanic list of most valuable Customer, avoid riding your eBike through big Puddles, through Streams and never ever have the Hub-motor Axle submerged because the Water will get in where the Cable comes out. Salt Water is of course 100 times worse.

Therefore if I wash my eBike with Water especially the Hub Motor Wheel, I will lay the Bike on its Side, that is the side where the Cable comes out of the Axle. This precaution should prevent Water for having a chance entering the Motor. After finishing your Wash/Rinse let the Water drip off for 10 Minutes before putting the Bike back in its riding position.

Cheers

Back