Walmart 20" folder mid drive conversion

I started yesterday with a not completely charged battery, didn't check voltage but I guess it was charged to <=90% of capacity. Between yesterday and today I rode 45 miles on routes with a total of 3400ft elevation gain. Just got back from today's ride, measured battery at 34.4v which would be about 35% residual charge. So the <$160 36v 10h Amazon sourced btrbattery when fully charged should be able to manage 60+(ish) miles of similar riding, unless the battery slumps badly in the final 35%.

So the batteries cost less than a cheap folding bike, and I'm guessing at another $350 to $400 for motor and controller?

So the batteries cost less than a cheap folding bike, and I'm guessing at another $350 to $400 for motor and controller?
The tongsheng has an integrated controller, not separate. A TSDZ2 from eco-ebike is $415 plus shipping (shipping wasn't extra for the first one I bought), purchased from a China based seller can be up to ~$100 less. Recycles-ebikes sells a kit complete with a 36v 8ah battery in a saddle bag for $500 which seems like a good deal. 8ah should provide good range for this motor, at least the way I use it.

36v 500w on the walmart folder. I have a 48v 750w TSDZ2 on a walmart 700c hybrid. I've ridden both as well as my Yamaha PW-SE powered BH Rebel Gravel X bike on the same route within the past few days. Sooner or later I need to get serious about selling the Yamaha powered bike because, while it is a great bike, I prefer the tongsheng powered bikes so it doesn't get used much.

36v 500w on the walmart folder. I have a 48v 750w TSDZ2 on a walmart 700c hybrid. I've ridden both as well as my Yamaha PW-SE powered BH Rebel Gravel X bike on the same route within the past few days. Sooner or later I need to get serious about selling the Yamaha powered bike because, while it is a great bike, I prefer the tongsheng powered bikes so it doesn't get used much.
Awesome. What will the folder be? A bike for the truck bed , I think you said.

Awesome. What will the folder be? A bike for the truck bed , I think you said.
No special plans for this bike other than to ride it when I want. I've had the bike for a long time and hadn't ridden it for at least a few yrs, it was sitting on a shelf in a shed. To be sure, if not for the hilly area that I live I wouldn't have an ebike because I prefer a lighter bike. But having a Tongsheng on the couple bikes that I do is a good compromise for me and gets me out riding much more than I did before. The Yamaha powered gravel bike is a good bike too, I just don't ride it much anymore.

Last edited:
No special plans for this bike other than to ride it when I want. I've had the bike for a long time and hadn't ridden it for at least a few yrs, it was sitting on a shelf in a shed. To be sure, if not for the hilly area that I live I wouldn't have an ebike because I prefer to ride much lighter bikes. But having a Tongsheng on the couple bikes that I do is a good compromise for me and gets me out riding much more than I did before. The Yamaha powered gravel bike is a good bike too, I just don't ride it much anymore.
Might be time to explore N - 1. It's a good time to sell a used ebike. With all the delays in getting new stock, prices are up.

Back