TSDZ2 on Walmart Genesis folder

EMGX

I'm hoping to ride around Crater Lake again in 1-2 weeks during the "ride the rim" east road closures. Last year I rode around it 3x on closure and non-closure days with a TSDZ2 equipped Walmart Schwinn Avenue hybrid. This year I'm planning on bringing my BH (Yamaha) gravel bike and this Walmart Genesis 20" folder with my 48v 750w TSDZ2 which is currently sitting on a shelf.
Current weight is 28.2# (was 26# without the rack and with lighter tires than the Maxxis hookworm 20x1.95 on it now).
I have had a this as well as a couple dahon bikes for several years and feel that the Walmart bike is comparable quality at a much lower price.
IMG_20230901_102557249.jpg

Unfortunately my wife had major orthopedic surgery a month ago and isn't confident enough to let me take a couple days away for the Crater Lake ride. That's OK, I've done it several times and the crazy diesel prices make it a fairly expensive trip. I might still put a TSZ2 on this bike at some point but would like to keep it stock/lighter for now.
I don't remember who posts that they have used power tool batteries successfully but in anticipation of the Crater Lake ride I purchased a 3.5# Briggs & Stratton 48v 5ah battery on sale from Menards. Found out after purchase that not all 48v batteries have the same voltage/capacity. The B&S 48v is fully charged voltage, nominal voltage is 43v so it probably wouldn't be adequate for my 48v TSDZ2 and fully charged might not work with my 36v TSDZ2. Although I can say for sure that my 48v tongsheng controller works fine with 58.8v fully charged "48v" Lifepo4 battery so possibly the 36v controller will work with the 48v B&S battery, eventually I'll give it a try to find out.

Back