Vote! Do you like old or new color layout for forum?

Do you prefer the forum's previous green layout?

• Total voters
I don't see any reason to complain. The forum layout is effectively identical to what it was. Just blue where there was green. I'm not colorblind to anything so no preference there.

I'll put this out there: For any screen where you have to stare at it for a lengthy amount of time, its easier on the eyes to make the background grey than it is to make it white as we have here. White reflects (or in this case shines) light and is essentially brighter. You can lower the volume level, so to speak, to a degree without affecting contrast. Its something we did on an automotive forum I was admin'ing and besides the usual neverending bitching and moaning from some usual suspects, was an appreciated change by the general population.

Take this to an extreme and a black background is the best for brightness to the eyes. However reading comprehension and contrast suffer mightily if you do that. Black background with yellow foreground is known to be the best contrast visually but its awful for getting people to try and read it comfortably. Best of both worlds is some level of light grey background to take the edge off, with black text and strong dark colors like dark blues or even maroons for enlarged text.

Something we used to take as a mantra when I was doing advertising work: Best contrast and the most readable text was found a century earlier in newspapers. Grey-ish paper, serif'd fonts and black text (also narrow columns but thats out on a computer screen).

Something we used to take as a mantra when I was doing advertising work: Best contrast and the most readable text was found a century earlier in newspapers. Grey-ish paper, serif'd fonts and black text (also narrow columns but thats out on a computer screen).
Totally agree about white backgrounds. Personally, I like white text on a black background, but I gather that's not universal. When I see yellow on black, I run the other way.

I did like the old color scheme because it was very easy on my old eyeballs however if the new color scheme helps folks to see things better I`m all for it, come to think of it the latest shade of blue is definitely growing on me since it actually matches the backlight of my keyboard plus it makes everything pop out on a dark screen reader much cleaner.

👏Thank you Court for constantly improving the forums and our experience here, we all appreciate all your hard work. :cool:

Heck yeah, I like the blue. But then, I like blue anyways. A darker green might have been an okay change, too, but that old shade of green always seemed a little funky to me, for a website.

Dark mode, please.
Yellow on black,
Orange on black,
or
light grey on black.

Chrome has an automatic dark Theme for web sites you can enable

They are supposed to have a per web site option, but I could not make it work

There is also supposedly an extension that can do it, I have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
My personal preference was the old green. Reminds me of the outdoors where I spend as much time as possible. If the blue is easier to read for visually impaired folks, I'm ok with the switch.

I may be in the minority, maybe not looking at the poll results, but I find the blue theme nauseating. I don't know why, I generally like blue, but this theme just grates at me. I've seen a lot of forums in my day, actually have administered one for 20+ years, and have to say the old green theme ranks among one of the best I've ever seen on the net. I was even considering migrating the forum I administer to xenforo software and cloning it. I don't hang out here much any more, and to be honest the theme is one of the reasons I just don't look forward to coming here, the blue is just is just so in your face. Weird, I know, just being blatantly honest though. Would it be possible to add the old theme back as a user preference? Pretty sure the xenforo software has that as an option.

Some pages still have the old theme. Here's a sample.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130-152130.png
    Screenshot_20240130-152130.png
    385.5 KB · Views: 44
Back