VoltBike Yukon 750 Limited 2018 Edition

Calicoskies

VoltBike Yukon 750 Limited 2018 Edition Fat Tire Owner Review

NewFatTireBikes.jpg
FatBikeLake.jpg

1530479377489.png

I ordered on May 27, 2018 and added a second bike to the order on June 1, 2018. I live in North Carolina. Both bikes arrived June 27, five days past estimate. Original order was for son and then decided Dad wanted one also. I already have two e-bikes, one I built and one from Electric Bike Company. Read my review of EBC by seeing my posts under CalicoSkies. Very happy with both built bike and EBC bike and have over 1000 miles of trouble free riding.

VoltBike showed as being in stock when we ordered but they were filling backorders first. I did not have much luck with the email system on their website but when I called they answered every time. The credit cards (used one for each bike) were charged and one worked but the other had 2 fraudulent charges as well as the VoltBike. This type fraud was reported by at least one other person on the forum. The card that was compromised was the one that was used via online order and the one given over the phone for added bike was fine. The VoltBike legit charges are International charges so you may need to call credit card company to approve charge, as we both had to do with our USA bank cards. I contacted Voltbike via email concerning the card fraud and did receive response back that the problem was located and a security firm was hired to correct, so that was good response and action on their part. Looks like they moved to a PayPal type system so your actually card number is never viewed by VoltBike, perfect.

Three days after the charge on June 13th received a email saying bikes were shipped and given a tracking number. Tracking number did not show on YRC Freight until the next day. I opted not to pay for residential shipping but the two bikes appear to be shipping to the home anyway. Tracking shows a delivery date of June 22nd. Actual date of arrival was June 27th after being rescheduled twice.

So far all looks good, boxes had normal marking from the trip to Chicago, Nashville, Charlotte and finally Raleigh. That is a lot of trucks and warehouses to have them be moved around.

1530479490312.png
1530479498552.png
1530479514026.png
1530479528289.png

Only missing item has been the tire valve cap on one tire, likely took out to lower air and forgot to add it back on. Tool for installing handlebars was not included in box as reported by others (allen wrench). Water bottle holder will only fit very small bottles about 6 inches. Helmet is ok but way too hot for summer, may come in handy during colder weather. Helmet had a pretty deep scratch on top do not think from shipping, not going to complain. Front tire was flat and rear low, this is normal shipping. Did not have tool in bag to tighten handlebars, also reported by others. Removed packaging, installed pedals and straightened handlebars and pretty much ready to go. Side cutters would come in handy for the ty-wraps.

I thought it had a little too much advertising and moved a decal off the battery and a piece of electrical tape over one of the website names for now. Also turned the chain slap around. Not a fan of the compass so will put my own bell, I like this one BONMIXC Bike Bell Brass Mini . Added a mirror, you will run out of space on the handlebars real quick plus bar is tapered from small to large the closer you get to center where display is mounted so some items may not attach on thicker part. One suspension fork has red lock knob and one is silver, same fork from Mozo.

1530483314622.png

You likely noticed that the front fender is sitting back some on one of the bikes, we moved to allow bike rack usage. You can see write up here, Modded Yukon 750 front fender to work with bike rack . Think it came out pretty well.

Bike settings, this was a little frustrating because bikes did not match. After changing the HAL setting on one bike from 6 to 12 and km to mph on both think it is correct. I did change the PAS to 0 to 5 but found it too much of jump in speed and changed it back for finer control.

S7 - (km/mile) Default was km so change that.
bL1 - backlight brightness display (3)
OFf - auto time(min) display off (5)
W d - wheel diameter (28) Was confused on this because I thought 26 would be correct but checking Speedometer 28 is correct and was default.
bU0 - voltage set (48V)
PSd - password (1919)
SPL - speed limit (45km)
CUL - MAX Current Limit set (default 15A)
HAL - Magnetic Pole numbers of speed sensor (default=One bike was 12 and One Bike was 6) Called VoltBike and was told 12 is correct and then called second time and back to 6. Think the answer is 6. May of been some confusion around cadence sensor. Sounded like they did not mess with advanced settings to much. I guess mine was wrong when it came in.

ASs(AS5) - 1-15 (default 12) # of Cadence magnets
Hd6 - sets the throttle to 6km/h; 1=ON, 0=OFF (default 0)
HdP - toggles the throttle power/current level to match the PAS level. 1=ON; 0=OFF (default 0, full power independent of PAS level)
PAs - levels of assist (set to 0-9 default; 1-5)

Here is the picture of our first ride, orange bike is my wife’s bike I built her last year, Class 3 750 Watt. I had to add pic of my Electric Bike Company bike also Class 3 (Red One). We went about 20 miles, best part is being able to go into a field or off the paved paths. Really enjoyed riding on gravel areas as well as going over bumps. The paved greenway would end and I could continue smoothly over the rocky grass till I picked up the greenway again. Our other ebikes do not offroad well, or at all. We were confined to paved paths, the Yukons have no limits.

The Yukon is setup for a lot of low end torque but tops out quickly at 20 mph. Actually it was more like 23 mph and I am a heavy rider at 250lbs. I do not ride that fast most times but just felt like I was using more power than my other bikes at same speed but that will take more research. I was disappointed that the LCD did not have voltage listed, I use that all the time on other bikes. Like to see true battery usage instead of the battery bars. Back from the 20 mile ride I used multimeter to check voltage and was down to about 48 vdc from 54 vdc fully charged, used about 45%. This is the 16ah battery. Using that logic I could of gone 35 miles. That is a giant leap because of all the variable with wind, hills, human power and general riding style (throttle usage). Remember the battery shuts down at around 20% (41 vdc) to protect the cells.

Overall very pleased so far and think a well put together bike for the price and will recommend to others. Plan to be back at the beach in the fall to give them a try out in the sand, can hardly wait.

YukonFirstRide.jpg
IMG_1769.JPG

Attachments

• YukonWaterBottle.jpg
    YukonWaterBottle.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
Excellent write-up! Did you get the 17-inch frame or the larger 19-inch frame? Just wanted to confirm the standover height as Voltbike states 29" for the 17-inch frame and 31" for the 19-inch. I'm 5'10" with a 30" pants inseam, so I figured the smaller frame would be better.

Excellent write-up! Did you get the 17-inch frame or the larger 19-inch frame? Just wanted to confirm the standover height as Voltbike states 29" for the 17-inch frame and 31" for the 19-inch. I'm 5'10" with a 30" pants inseam, so I figured the smaller frame would be better.
I wasn't aware the yukon came in 2 different sizes. Im of smaller stature and my bike is bordering on being too big. I would have bought the smaller size. when did you see that?

I wasn't aware the yukon came in 2 different sizes. Im of smaller stature and my bike is bordering on being too big. I would have bought the smaller size. when did you see that?
The Voltbike Ambassador that let me ride his Yukon 750 alerted to me that fact. He had the 17-inch frame, but I was so busy concentrating on the motor's power and the ride that I didn't pay closer attention to the standover height. I emailed Voltbike about it and George told me that they removed the 17-inch frame option from the web page because they were out of stock. Seems to me a better approach would be to leave the option there but flag it as "currently out-of-stock." Always surprised how the simplest of things eludes some entrepreneurs.

Yes I have the 19 inch frame, I am 6 feet with a 31 inseam and think I would of liked the smaller frame. When we say smaller frame it is just the bar angles down more from stem to seat post and it does not come with the water bottle. Bike will be the same dimensions everywhere else. That extra two inches would be nice when getting on and off.

View attachment 23227View attachment 23228
View attachment 23217

I ordered on May 27, 2018 and added a second bike to the order on June 1, 2018. I live in North Carolina. Both bikes arrived June 27, five days past estimate. Original order was for son and then decided Dad wanted one also. I already have two e-bikes, one I built and one from Electric Bike Company. Read my review of EBC by seeing my posts under CalicoSkies. Very happy with both built bike and EBC bike and have over 1000 miles of trouble free riding.

VoltBike showed as being in stock when we ordered but they were filling backorders first. I did not have much luck with the email system on their website but when I called they answered every time. The credit cards (used one for each bike) were charged and one worked but the other had 2 fraudulent charges as well as the VoltBike. This type fraud was reported by at least one other person on the forum. The card that was compromised was the one that was used via online order and the one given over the phone for added bike was fine. The VoltBike legit charges are International charges so you may need to call credit card company to approve charge, as we both had to do with our USA bank cards. I contacted Voltbike via email concerning the card fraud and did receive response back that the problem was located and a security firm was hired to correct, so that was good response and action on their part. Looks like they moved to a PayPal type system so your actually card number is never viewed by VoltBike, perfect.

Three days after the charge on June 13th received a email saying bikes were shipped and given a tracking number. Tracking number did not show on YRC Freight until the next day. I opted not to pay for residential shipping but the two bikes appear to be shipping to the home anyway. Tracking shows a delivery date of June 22nd. Actual date of arrival was June 27th after being rescheduled twice.

So far all looks good, boxes had normal marking from the trip to Chicago, Nashville, Charlotte and finally Raleigh. That is a lot of trucks and warehouses to have them be moved around.

View attachment 23219 View attachment 23220 View attachment 23221 View attachment 23222

Only missing item has been the tire valve cap on one tire, likely took out to lower air and forgot to add it back on. Tool for installing handlebars was not included in box as reported by others (allen wrench). Water bottle holder will only fit very small bottles about 6 inches. Helmet is ok but way too hot for summer, may come in handy during colder weather. Helmet had a pretty deep scratch on top do not think from shipping, not going to complain. Front tire was flat and rear low, this is normal shipping. Did not have tool in bag to tighten handlebars, also reported by others. Removed packaging, installed pedals and straightened handlebars and pretty much ready to go. Side cutters would come in handy for the ty-wraps.

I thought it had a little too much advertising and moved a decal off the battery and a piece of electrical tape over one of the website names for now. Also turned the chain slap around. Not a fan of the compass so will put my own bell, I like this one BONMIXC Bike Bell Brass Mini . Added a mirror, you will run out of space on the handlebars real quick plus bar is tapered from small to large the closer you get to center where display is mounted so some items may not attach on thicker part. One suspension fork has red lock knob and one is silver, same fork from Mozo.

View attachment 23226

You likely noticed that the front fender is sitting back some on one of the bikes, we moved to allow bike rack usage. You can see write up here, Modded Yukon 750 front fender to work with bike rack . Think it came out pretty well.

Bike settings, this was a little frustrating because bikes did not match. After changing the HAL setting on one bike from 6 to 12 and km to mph on both think it is correct. I did change the PAS to 0 to 5 but found it too much of jump in speed and changed it back for finer control.

W d - wheel diameter (28) Was confused on this because I thought 26 would be correct but checking Speedometer 28 is correct and was default.
bU0 - voltage set (48V)
PSd - password (1919)
SPL - speed limit (45km)
HAL - Magnetic Pole numbers of speed sensor (default=One bike was 12 and One Bike was 6) Called VoltBike and was told 12 is correct and then called second time and back to 6. Think the answer is 6. May of been some confusion around cadence sensor. Sounded like they did not mess with advanced settings to much. I guess mine was wrong when it came in.

HdP - toggles the throttle power/current level to match the PAS level. 1=ON; 0=OFF (default 0, full power independent of PAS level)

Here is the picture of our first ride, orange bike is my wife’s bike I built her last year, Class 3 750 Watt. I had to add pic of my Electric Bike Company bike also Class 3 (Red One). We went about 20 miles, best part is being able to go into a field or off the paved paths. Really enjoyed riding on gravel areas as well as going over bumps. The paved greenway would end and I could continue smoothly over the rocky grass till I picked up the greenway again. Our other ebikes do not offroad well, or at all. We were confined to paved paths, the Yukons have no limits.

The Yukon is setup for a lot of low end torque but tops out quickly at 20 mph. Actually it was more like 23 mph and I am a heavy rider at 250lbs. I do not ride that fast most times but just felt like I was using more power than my other bikes at same speed but that will take more research. I was disappointed that the LCD did not have voltage listed, I use that all the time on other bikes. Like to see true battery usage instead of the battery bars. Back from the 20 mile ride I used multimeter to check voltage and was down to about 48 vdc from 54 vdc fully charged, used about 45%. This is the 16ah battery. Using that logic I could of gone 35 miles. That is a giant leap because of all the variable with wind, hills, human power and general riding style (throttle usage). Remember the battery shuts down at around 20% (41 vdc) to protect the cells.

Overall very pleased so far and think a well put together bike for the price and will recommend to others. Plan to be back at the beach in the fall to give them a try out in the sand, can hardly wait.

View attachment 23231View attachment 23229

View attachment 23217

View attachment 23219 View attachment 23220 View attachment 23221 View attachment 23222

View attachment 23226

bU0 - voltage set (48V)
PSd - password (1919)
SPL - speed limit (45km)

Great write up man! Answered pretty much all my questions- gravel/ off-road performance, actual distance and battery performance (I’m 230 lbs so similar weight). Very excited for mine to arrive, hope it isn’t delayed as well. Thanks for the write up.

View attachment 23217

View attachment 23226

bU0 - voltage set (48V)
PSd - password (1919)
SPL - speed limit (45km)

OMG !!! I need to say that I bought the same bike and not one issue whatsoever !!! Voltbike has Excellent Customer Service and have been very responsive to any inquiry I’ve had. They are easy to deal with and they are professional. Not sure how Voltbike can be responsible for fraudulent charges ?? Sounds like your computer security is compromised to me ?!

Hey Baggs, it was Voltbike on compromised credit card (happen to several people). Voltbike took care of the issue by changing to a different billing system, can not ask for more that that. George took care of the problem and let us all know that it was corrected, stuff happens. Still good with the bike and having zero issues.

Hi Barry .. glad to hear they got it sorted. Yes these bikes are awesome. They are solid. No jerking between PAS and gear shifts whatsoever. It’s a Great Ride !! So Easy to use and goes anywhere. The bike is a handsome devil too !!
I love it !!

Back