Volt meter

Dynz

Region
United Kingdom
I like the old SW102 I've got mounted on my handlebars, I would just like to have a more accurate read of my remaining battery voltage displayed at all times without having to pick up a new display.

Would this little meter serve that purpose? Does it connect to the cable that is meant to go to the front light? Would be ideal as I'm not using that atm.

I have that meter on my bike which didn't have the voltmeter in the display. It's a bit hard to see in direct sunlight. I put a sun shade around it, which helps.

You have to tap it into any wire that carries the battery voltage. If your headlamp wire is at battery voltage, then it would work, but many aux headlight wires are lower voltage. Can't hurt anything to try.

The cable that goes to your SW102 has a line that switches to battery voltage when the display turns on. It also has ground. I don't know if you want to tap into the cable, but that gives you a switched circuit. Orange and black wires per the Bafang documents, but you would be wise to test first.

EDIT: I haven't put my second meter on my BBS02 bike yet, but it's on the list of things to do. I'm going splice mine into the battery directly, since it has an on/off switch.
FQzHpBv.jpg

Last edited:
I like the old SW102 I've got mounted on my handlebars, I would just like to have a more accurate read of my remaining battery voltage displayed at all times without having to pick up a new display.

Would this little meter serve that purpose? Does it connect to the cable that is meant to go to the front light? Would be ideal as I'm not using that atm.
On the BBS... the head light wires only output 6v.
I know that it's not your preference, but a better display is the way to go. Anything else is going to add clutter and splices that will take from simplicity and require proper sealing.
I personally wouldn't want to tap the main harness.
Nor would I want to direct tap from the battery up to the handlebars, but If I did I would definitely fuse it.
I did that to add a horn/light with independent switches.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't want to tap the main harness.
Nor would I want to direct tap from the battery up to the handlebars, but If I did I would definitely fuse it.
I did that to add a horn/light with independent switches.
Yeah based on what I'm hearing that's what I'm leaning towards. Perhaps the 500C.

Yeah based on what I'm hearing that's what I'm leaning towards. Perhaps the 500C.
Easy sometimes cost more... But in this instance I think it money better spent
Plus having a backup display is good in a pinch down the road

For a while on one battery I used the +/- on the charge port for a separate ebike voltmeter. I used push on connectors.

For a while on one battery I used the +/- on the charge port for a separate ebike voltmeter. I used push on connectors.
Could you be a bit more specific? Genuinely interested as to what that looked like.

I've done that as well for testing purposes during a ride.
You can make up a cable that plugs into your charging port. I just connected mine to a Fluke voltage meter.. But you could connect any voltage meter. Be careful not to cause any short circuits and I wouldn't do this for any long term use.

Screenshot_20210509-212240.png

Last edited:
Could you be a bit more specific? Genuinely interested as to what that looked like.
The charge port on that battery is one of these
1620612021604.png

only the top two pins are used
I crimped insulated female bullet connectors on the voltmeter wires and plugged them into the terminals. Hope that makes sense.

Back