Video - 310 mile ride on Stromer ST2

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
This ride is not about racing or defeating someone. It is about pushing one's own internal boundaries and tap into that source of energy.

I must say I have been fortunate to have great friends, to be blessed with good health and certain opportunities. I am grateful for all these.

I put together a small video which will go on my ST2 review and I thought of sharing with fellow Ebikers. I hope my next video when I push this to 400 mile mark will be more polished and nicer to watch.

Enjoy and ride on. Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.

Last edited:
Congrats, what a ride!

How did you deal with the battery? Was there a charging station in your car?

upload_2015-8-4_19-7-33.png

Last edited:
Ravi,

That's very nice. I think what you are trying to do becomes very obvious from this video. It's all very happy and upbeat. Anyone else, I might have said it's a stunt. You seemed just as happy at the end as at the beginning. Thanks.

(Some of the Sony action cams seem to have better stabilization, but it's not that important. YouTube mucks everything up. Maybe do it on Vimeo.)

Great job Ravi, and i get tired after 80+, I feel as though need to get a new bike and go with you some time as we have suggested...

to those that dont know him he is a very sincere person

Very cool Ravi and video was good!

I wondered the same as bluecat; did you charge your spares in the car?

Good video Ravi! I have been on the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway 5 times on a motorcycle . Never a bicycle .
Almost did. Was training for it 10 years ago. Then had a medical problem come up , and that was the end of that.
I remember all those places you were at on the Skyline!
Thank you for sharing, and a big thank you to all your team for helping you do your 310 mile trip! May you have many more!
Keep looking up! Ken.

Just watched the whole video. I'm amazed at how little traffic you seemed to encounter, unless those were the bits you edited out?

How many stops did you make? How many battery changes? You didn't look tired at the end.

{I ride 20 miles and look like a wrung-out mop in this southern humidity}.

Very good! I'm curious about your bike setup:

- What handle-bar grips/extensions are you using?
- Did you primarily bike in power level 2? If so, what were the approximate % for speed, agility & torque?
- Did you use the standard city kit lighting for the night portion of the ride, or did you install additional and/or different front/rear lights?

Also, what did you do for nutrition? Did you need to take electrolyte or other supplements during the ride?

Congrats, what a ride!
How did you deal with the battery? Was there a charging station in your car?

Thank you @bluecat . You seem to be a real expert when it comes to Stromer!
I had one spare battery. So, I would ride 45-50 miles on 1 battery and swap and ride for another 50.
Every 100 mile or so, I would take a break while my batteries were recharging. So out of 24 hours, charging+break = 9 hours.

Totally awesome. How many battery switch outs did you end up having to do and with how many batteries did you do the trip with?

Thank you. I ended up using 6+1 (one I started with) battery CHARGES. I had 1 battery in the bike and a spare. So I was alternating between those two.

Just watched the whole video. I'm amazed at how little traffic you seemed to encounter, unless those were the bits you edited out?
How many stops did you make? How many battery changes? You didn't look tired at the end.

You know this ride had been in the planning for quite some time. My original plan was to ride from DC to NYC.
I drove from DC to NJ to find out the condition of roads and quickly realized that it would be impossible because of 100's of traffic stops and road constructions.
The key long rides such as this requires minimal mental fatigue. I chose the Shenandoah National park because it's beautiful, way less traffic and being in nature is much more safes & conducive than being on highways. Also, the temperature on the mountains is 7-8'F lesser.
I took three 2.5-3 hr breaks. Those times were used to find a good charging place, eat something and rest. The ride was beautiful but hilly and I was tired physically.

Very good! I'm curious about your bike setup:

- What handle-bar grips/extensions are you using?
- Did you primarily bike in power level 2? If so, what were the approximate % for speed, agility & torque?
- Did you use the standard city kit lighting for the night portion of the ride, or did you install additional and/or different front/rear lights?

Also, what did you do for nutrition? Did you need to take electrolyte or other supplements during the ride?
  1. It's the same stock GS-1 grips but I added Profile Design bar ends. If you want more elegant solution, look at Ergon GP5's. They blend in very nicely.

2. Yes, 80% of my ride was in assist 2. I have set it to as
    Screenshot_2015-06-23-14-20-11.png

3. It's the same City kit but the car behind was extremely useful when I was riding between 12am to 4am. My friend put it on high beam so I could see much farther ahead. I believe for solo night rides, another long-beam headlight is a must. The supernova's are good for 50ft or so.

4. For me honey dissolved in water works way better than any endurance drinks. So, I had a gallon of that and a gallon of gatorade.
    Oatmeal+granola = breakfast.
    Cliff bars in the saddle bag
    lots of banana during the stops
    I had some pizza as well ;) and I hope to do better next time.
Good video Ravi! I have been on the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway 5 times on a motorcycle . Never a bicycle .
Almost did. Was training for it 10 years ago. Then had a medical problem come up , and that was the end of that.
I remember all those places you were at on the Skyline!
Thank you for sharing, and a big thank you to all your team for helping you do your 310 mile trip! May you have many more!
Keep looking up! Ken.

Very cool Ravi and video was good!
I wondered the same as bluecat; did you charge your spares in the car?

Thank you Ken and JR. I'm sure you guys have done these kind of routes several times on motorcycles. Biking needs lot more planning w.r.t pit stops, food, charging, carrying all this stuff, flat protection etc. Anything over 300, needs a support vehicle.

Ravi,

That's very nice. I think what you are trying to do becomes very obvious from this video. It's all very happy and upbeat. Anyone else, I might have said it's a stunt. You seemed just as happy at the end as at the beginning. Thanks.
(Some of the Sony action cams seem to have better stabilization, but it's not that important. YouTube mucks everything up. Maybe do it on Vimeo.)

Great suggestion, George. I'm still learning Adobe Premiere and it was taking too long. So, I used a simple PC software to put this together.
I am a big fan of Jackie Chan and I believe even stunts take a lot of practice and skill. Even if there was no video taping, I would have pushed myself like this. You know I used to be a very active track and field sportsman and had a nasty sporting accident in 2010 which put a big dent in my running abilities. E-biking is very close to endurance running.

Great job Ravi, and i get tired after 80+, I feel as though need to get a new bike and go with you some time as we have suggested...
to those that dont know him he is a very sincere person

Thank you for the kind words, Mark.

@Ravi Kempaiah One more quick question about recharging of the second battery: Was it charged in the follow car using an inverter, charged by generator at rest stop areas, or did you find outlets along your route and stop to recharge?

Last edited:
@Ravi Kempaiah One more quick question about recharging of the second battery: Was it charged in the follow car using an invertor, charged by generator at rest stop areas, or did you find outlets along your route and stop to recharge?

That was the challenging thing actually. We did not have any inverter and I had to plan to pit stops in such a way that we had outlets available for charging, close to restaurant and then find some time to rest. Upping the voltage from 12V DV in the car to 120V AC with sufficient amperage could be challenging. I haven't tried it but if you know of any, I would be delighted to use that for my subsequent rides.

Upping the voltage from 12V DV in the car to 120V AC with sufficient amperage could be challenging.
We call this device Wechselrichter. There are some with >1000W output, but they are expensive and could not simply plugged in.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
The ST2 is ahead of the competitors in some areas. One is its EnergyBus. Unfortunately, we're still waiting for such "open source" travel chargers. Specialized has a travel charger with the EnergyBus plug. But it's a fake! (=don't buy). They didn't pay the royalties, so the device is not compatible.

As travel charges are smaller and without fan, their power consumption is less - and a Wecheselrichter from DIY store might fit.

This ride is not about racing or defeating someone. It is about pushing one's own internal boundaries and tap into that source of energy.

I must say I have been fortunate to have great friends, to be blessed with good health and certain opportunities. I am grateful for all these.

I put together a small video which will go on my ST2 review and I thought of sharing with fellow Ebikers. I hope my next video when I push this to 400 mile mark will be more polished and nicer to watch.

Enjoy and ride on. Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.

Great ride and Great information for us ST2 owners !!

Hi Ravi. Thank you for the tip about water and honey. I tried it the other day. I did not like the aftertaste in my mouth. My wife said to squirt some lemon juice in too. So I tried it that way yesterday , I like it better with the lemon juice, not very much aftertaste . Even with just the 35 miles rides I do in the morrings , I get tired if just plain water all the time . Not going to buy those drinks!
Thank you again for the tip! Keep looking up! Ken.

Back