Vespa PX125 conversion

Got some of the bike wiring done, and mounted some of the electric conversion components. This is a lot of wiring when you are 100% rewiring the whole bike!.

Wiring station:

Fuse box and LED flasher wired in. Plus a several harnesses done, and one main one to go:

Nice work on the wiring... I have no patience for it. ;)

Last edited:
Received my 4 AWG wire and connectors, so I could start wiring in the controller and associate parts.

Making the high power cables:

Installed on the controller, contactor and shunt:

Then wrapped and fed the bike wires through the frame, and connected the disconnect.

Next I need to start making all the connections. This is the fun part where I get to power up and test the circuits.

Doesn't look like much, but represents almost 4 hours of work. Don't worry, the bundles will all get braided covers, not just tape.

The engine electrics are done. Took a lot of time, but I am happy with the results. I also finished and covered the main harnesses towards the front, and battery area. Just need to do the tail light harness, and rear signals.

Obviously I have the motor hooked up for mocking purposes only. Until I mount the forks, front wheel and centerstand I can't install the motor.

Not much done. A fresh coat of paint on the "forks", and placement of the fuse block panel. Plus a shot of the rear wiring upright. Once the fork is installed I can install the headset and wire it up.

First, installed the front tire, all new:

Then installed the fender, removing and reinstalling the fork.

Installed the rear hub and brake lines:

Cleaned up all the wiring, ready to test all the connections:

Then installed all the lights and test fit the bodywork:

I'm happy to say the lighting system works perfectly, and the body fits nicely!

Completed the display wiring and installed the glovebox. Yes, a glovebox. Those swanky Italians!

Anyone see my shame?

Oh, and for those dying to see me paint black, the centerstand!

Nothing glamorous, just installed the centerstand and traced every wire, checked them all to make sure they didn't ground to the body, or mix 12V and 72V in any way, then buttoned it up in the back.

Today was fun. I bled the rear brake, then added my GPS to the speedo with a suction mount, then went for a ride. The brakes are much improved since I have the rear disc, which got better and better as it bedded in. I took it on the main road and went as fast as I could. Keep in mine I am 275 pounds, and a big wind break. Still, I managed an impressive speed for not having to done any mods to the programming.

Here is the GPS mounted, upside down to get some video.

Here is the GPS speeds, which are slightly faster than the speedo.

52 mph is not bad at all. I am confident that I can get more speed out of it.

In 8 miles I used about 10% of the battery, but this was a lot of stops and starts, all at nearly full throttle. I think 50 miles is doable. The battery and the motor stayed cool.

Lots more to do, but I am quite happy so far!

Back