Very limited power needed?

jfny1978

Region
USA
Hey everyone! Long time no post. That's a good thing. My ebike has been working great. (Trek Marlin 5 with a Bafang BBS02 mid-drive kit, 48V, Jumbo Shark Battery)

I am planning a 55 mile journey on it for Friday of this week, so I've been tweaking the settings.

I want to use as little battery as possible, to make sure I get there, and I want to go 20 MPH max, so that I can enjoy the scenery and stay legal.

I have an EggRider, and I started by changing the max Amps from the default of 22 to 11, and I still was able to get to 20 MPH very easily in Assist level 9. I went down to 8, then 6, then 4, then all the way to a whopping max Amps of 1 and it still gets right to 20 MPH in Assist level 9. This surprises me so much that I want to make sure nothing is wrong. Does that make sense to everyone? Is that as little power as it takes? If so, that's great, because I'd have a lot more confidence in making is 55 miles without running out of battery.

Hey everyone! Long time no post. That's a good thing. My ebike has been working great. (Trek Marlin 5 with a Bafang BBS02 mid-drive kit, 48V, Jumbo Shark Battery)

I am planning a 55 mile journey on it for Friday of this week, so I've been tweaking the settings.

I want to use as little battery as possible, to make sure I get there, and I want to go 20 MPH max, so that I can enjoy the scenery and stay legal.

I have an EggRider, and I started by changing the max Amps from the default of 22 to 11, and I still was able to get to 20 MPH very easily in Assist level 9. I went down to 8, then 6, then 4, then all the way to a whopping max Amps of 1 and it still gets right to 20 MPH in Assist level 9. This surprises me so much that I want to make sure nothing is wrong. Does that make sense to everyone? Is that as little power as it takes? If so, that's great, because I'd have a lot more confidence in making is 55 miles without running out of battery.
Well depending on how much YOU pedal, anything is possible.
The eggrider should be able to tell you how much you are using. It should produce a graph for watts used over time. This will be a better indicator of energy used.
When you reach 20mph...are you using the throttle?
A global 1 amp output will not provide much assistance... But it would be helpful to know the rest of your settings

Screenshot_20210309-163746.jpg

Thank you. I didn't use the throttle at all. I don't plan to use the throttle much.

I haven't done much else with the settings. I set the speed limit to 32 km per hour.

I will take a few mile ride this evening and see what stats I can find.

I believe the other setting you might want to review is the "Start Current". That should soften the starts and throttle inputs and use less power in the process?

Thank you. I didn't use the throttle at all. I don't plan to use the throttle much.

I haven't done much else with the settings. I set the speed limit to 32 km per hour.

I will take a few mile ride this evening and see what stats I can find.
Just a double check... Are you sure that you are writing the settings to the controller and not just making changes in the app?

I think maybe this from the EggRider manual explains it:

LIMITED CURRENT (A) Represents the global current limit in ampers (A).

This sets the power level that the drive unit will pull from the battery pack. Be aware that just because it is set lower, it does not mean that it may not draw more amps for brief periods.

Back