Velotric Thunder might be cooler than the VanMoof

Looks very interesting. The non removable battery is a dealbreaker for many, but it does have its benefits.

Biggest flaw with the bike is that it's class 1. 20 mph is just not very fast for a road or even hybrid bike, so a 20 mph means the assist will cut out right as you're reaching a natural cruising speed. If the limit were say 24 mph, this wouldn't be an issue. I think the Ride1Up Roadster is set up to go 20+ in that way.

Maybe they'll have a secret unlock option to get assist above 20. I'm pretty sure I could get to 28 with 350w assist.

Anyhow, while I get the regulatory reasons for class 1, if you're used to pedaling hard and fast, class 1 ebikes are just a mistake.

All that said, it looks like a very compelling bike for what it is, and this really puts Velotric on the map as a brand making interesting, innovative, useful bikes. Instead of the litany of fatbike and minibike clones. I've heard some bad stories about their customer service and QC, but I think they'll improve and become a dominant D2C ebike brand, a strong rival to Aventon and Ride1Up.

interesting.

pros:
nice and light, 10-20% lighter than a vanMoof
integrated gps/tracking anti-theft
cheaper than a vanmoof
rear hub vs front
app seems decent

cons:
butt-ugly kink in top tube, just why
no integrated rear light
no boost button (one of the best part of a VM)
a bunch of exposed wires at the bars, barf
derailleur vs IGH with automatic shifting
much smaller battery

in short it seems much closer to a traditional bike, which is appropriate given the much lower price.

Lol I think the auto shifting on the Vanmoof was the biggest single source of complaints around bike defects, or close to it. How is its absence a con lol

it’s a very nice feature when it works. definitely a core part of the whole VM “experience.” they certainly f’d it up badly initially but it’s long since fixed.

it’s very nice for a city commuter to just ride - you stop, it goes into 1, you go, it gradually shifts as needed. i would never want it for a fitness/sport/road/mtb/gravel etc bike, but automatic IGH for a commuter is perfect. and the chain is completely covered since it doesn’t move.

Apparently it can be unlocked to go 20+ mph.

Assuming the software is well executed, this bike looks very promising, for people who don't mind a non removable battery anyway.

Turns out the software was not well executed at all.

Such a bummer. The Thunder and Thunder ST both have a jumpy feel and add in power when you don't want it, sometimes even when coasting -- just very unrefined and not what a torque sensor buyer would be expecting in feel at all.

Back