velotric discovery1

An update on the controller. I just got the wiring diagram on the motor and am now proceeding with having the controller adapted. Velotric uses a custom connector on the motor (bad choice). I'm putting in a kt controller and will replace the pas with a kt one.
Can you share the wiring diagram?

I'm new here and am not sure if this starts a new discussion or is just a reply to a previous posting. Anyway.... I bought a Discover 1 and it has a grand total of 9.9 miles on it. The electronics shut down after about half a mile, and I have to remove and replace the battery then go another half mile. This makes cross-country travel a bit tedious. The company says they will send me a "new motor controller replacement" but also tell me it is not available now due to the Chinese factory not having them. (The attached photo shows what the screen looks like when the power turns off.) I probably have no options but to wait until things gear up in China and I can get a replacement, but I wondered if any of you with technical skills and knowledge have any suggestions. Otherwise I seem to be stuck with 65 pounds of classy yellow metal.
Here's a followup to my problems with my Discover 1. After much communication, which speaks well for their service, I was sent a new battery. This fixed the problem of whatever was happening. They have been very responsive to my growing frustration (new motor controller sent earlier and installed with no change) and now I am on the trail putting in some miles. I love this bike and have adapted a startup of leaving the assist on zero until I start rolling, then switch to 1 which of course jumps you to 11 mph. This takes some practice in different conditions (curves, uphill) but works.

Attachments

• bigrockfalls.jpg
    bigrockfalls.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 156
I love this bike and have adapted a startup of leaving the assist on zero until I start rolling, then switch to 1 which of course jumps you to 11 mph. This takes some practice in different conditions (curves, uphill) but works.

I, too, really like the bike and it offers a lot for the money. However, I hope they will soon release a more sophisticated controller/system that provides a more natural riding experience. Better yet if it can be retrofitted.

I agree that it is necessary to set the PAS to 0 when stopped. As soon as you start pedaling the bike wants to go 10 mph, which is especially dangerous if you are starting off with a turn, e.g., at an intersection.

We love our bikes too but do not have many miles on them! When we bought them on the Black Friday deal we knew the weather in Oregon was going to get cold! I have found that on the flats we do not really need more that level 2 peddle assist. In the hills where we live it is so nice to have the assist higher as we have some steep ones. I have found that if we come to a stop and are turning that using a little throttle first as we are turning it the easiest work around then start to peddle once straight! I did buy a battery storage bag off Amazon that is fire and explosion proof as I keep the batteries in the house for temperature control. One bag fits both batteries so works great!

Here is the link to unlocking the speed control on the Velotric site! Notice is voids warranty for whatrever reason!

Thanks. I look forward to hearing how well the conversion worked out.
Well after a few months getting parts I am almost done. I put in the kt controller with simulated torque control but had to change the harness to the handle bars, the front light (different connector), the brake levers (different connector) and bought an adapter for the unusual motor plug. I also had the company I'm working with in canada change the Power connector. The pas had the wrong connector on it and I replaced it but the one sent was a left and I needed a right (which is on order). This made the bike start up when pedaled backwards =) . I think when the new pas comes in all will be fine. So a few weeks more. I could do this change in about 3 hours now after a long learning curve of 30+ hours. Cost just over $200.

Well after a few months getting parts I am almost done. I put in the kt controller with simulated torque control but had to change the harness to the handle bars, the front light (different connector), the brake levers (different connector) and bought an adapter for the unusual motor plug. I also had the company I'm working with in canada change the Power connector. The pas had the wrong connector on it and I replaced it but the one sent was a left and I needed a right (which is on order). This made the bike start up when pedaled backwards =) . I think when the new pas comes in all will be fine. So a few weeks more. I could do this change in about 3 hours now after a long learning curve of 30+ hours. Cost just over $200.
Looking forward to the complete report. Will you be selling this kit, or can it be purchased somewhere?

Thanks!

Looking forward to the complete report. Will you be selling this kit, or can it be purchased somewhere?

Thanks!
After I try it for a week in floridas hot weather I will let you know how it perfroms. Likely I will write a set of directions that can be purchased for $10 from me and give you the info on the parts and supplier. Forgot to mention that I needed an adapter for the rear light and this controller does not support the brake light

a new update. I finally finished and took it for a ride. Works fine but needs a little tuning. cost about 200. parts and adpters purchased from afordableebikes.ca aka electricbikelaboratory from myles. new pas, motor adapter, controller with right power plug, display, harness. I also had to change the brake levers to 3pin and make an adapter for 3pin to 2pin for the rear light (no braking function on the kt)

Back