Vektron s10 vs HSD?

Pcm

Long story short, I would like eventually to get a GSD as I have two small kids. I’d also like to ebike more in general - I do cycle often but sometimes get lazy and drive. I think that, for me, the fun and ease of an ebike would reduce that significantly.

I initially thought I’d just get a GSD, but most (75%) of my riding would be solo, and I don’t necessarily want to take a cargo bike everywhere.

My initial thought was to invest in the Vektron for now and perhaps the GSD next year. But, should the HSD be a contender? I don’t desperately need the fold although it would come in handy from time to time, and the Vektron is lighter and still holds a kid. Neither holds 2 kids so either way if I want to carry both, it’s either the GSD or a trailer. I already have a trailer I was planning to use w the Vektron.

Ideas?

You’ll have slightly more comfort (suspension fork, longer wheelbase), performance (more powerful motor on some models) and cargo capacity on the HSD. That being said you’ll pay a bit more depending on the options. I also wouldn’t see myself using the folding aspect too much so I would probably opt for the HSD, but I wouldn’t let that influence your decision. I don’t have kids but I know that the parents we work with love the ability to carry them. I’d be concerned you might be missing that.

All that being said I generally recommend optimizing for your most use scenario. I guess you just need to decide if you need to carry two kids. In theory the pending HSD passenger kit could carry two kids, but no word on when that will be released. Probably this spring.

@Chris Nolte this is super helpful! Is the length of the Vektron the same as the HSD? Can’t the Vektron also carry a kid? Finally, isn’t the motor the same (active line plus) as the HSD s8i?

thank you so much!!!

Also, I wouldn’t need the passenger kit until spring anyway, but will it indeed hold 2 kids? At least one will still be in need of a Yepp seat as they will be 4 and 2 next summer.

The length of the HSD is slightly longer and the rack is definitely longer. The Vektron can carry a child in a seat, the HSD will be capable of carrying larger children provided they are under 120lbs. The motor is the same Active Plus on the P9, S8i and the Vektron S10, the S+ has the more powerful Generation 3 Performance Line. The passenger kit could, in theory, carry two kids, but not with a Yepp seat. Not knowing the design it's tough to say, but I would think you could squeeze two smaller kids on a pad. The GSD would be much better for this though.

Reactions: Pcm
Yes! This is the exact info I needed. I think that for my purposes the Vektron will be best, and the GSD later on. Will need at least one in a Yepp for a while. Thank you so much Chris! Amazing info and love your videos.

@Chris Nolte one more question if you aren’t sick of me yet - is the Active Line Plus worth it over the Q9’s active line? We do have quite a few hills here but the price jumps fairly significantly from the q9 to the s10.

If you’re fit and don’t mind working so I think you’ll be fine, but since you’re carrying a little one you might appreciate the extra power.

I ended up placing an order with my LBS for a GSD s10. Would love the Vektron but found it hard to justify with 2 small kids :) thanks for your advice and great videos!

I ended up placing an order with my LBS for a GSD s10. Would love the Vektron but found it hard to justify with 2 small kids :) thanks for your advice and great videos!
Did you get the S10 yet, about to purchase one. How is it on hills?

Hi! My GSD took a few months to come in. I love it! I haven’t yet tackled major hills but the small ones and long/slight hills have been absolutely no problem. I love the bike.

Back