Vado SL firmware update - power boosted?

48V * 6A = 288W; BLevo reported 292W,
Went on the same 10 mile turbo segment today without the range extender. This time current was 6.2 max but motor power is still in the 450 W range. I'm thinking whatever the firmware update did, it confuses Blevo's report enough to show 450 instead of 300 W in Turbo mode. As for the increase in motor temp that I noticed, it takes about 15 minutes for the motor to go from around 32 C to 63C. I probably never noticed because I've rarely been in Turbo mode for that long. And when I have I didn't have MC or Blevo going to note the motor temp.

Went on ride using mission control to show rider power. Around 300 W peak in turbo. So the 450 W showing up on Blevo after the upated is probably just an anomaly with how Blevo is showing the motor power. Strange since the SL has a sensor for motor power so not sure why Blevo is not using it. Maybe the Levo sensor requires a numerical massage that the SL does not.

Went on ride using mission control to show rider power. Around 300 W peak in turbo. So the 450 W showing up on Blevo after the upated is probably just an anomaly with how Blevo is showing the motor power. Strange since the SL has a sensor for motor power so not sure why Blevo is not using it. Maybe the Levo sensor requires a numerical massage that the SL does not.
Thx Nub, I guess I'll wait on firmware until BLevo dev updates. Or just go back to MC.

I posted this issue on BLevo forum. The dev said the motor power is read directly from the motor. Which does not make sense if MC amd this app show different values.

And the CSV file has a bug in the battery voltage column.

Guys. You cannot just multiply the voltage by amperage: It is just power input from the battery. The motor has its own efficiency, say 0.75. Multiply power draw by efficiency and you get motor power output.

Guys. You cannot just multiply the voltage by amperage: It is just power input from the battery. The motor has its own efficiency, say 0.75. Multiply power draw by efficiency and you get motor power output.
Yep, I agree. But this doesn’t matter if the SL 1.1 motor outputs the motor power as a parameter and these apps are just reading it from the motor. The measurement would be post thermal and parasitic losses.

Something fishy is going on if MC reads 300W peak and BLevo reads 450W peak.

Yep, I agree. But this doesn’t matter if the SL 1.1 motor outputs the motor power as a parameter and these apps are just reading it from the motor. The measurement would be post thermal and parasitic losses.

Something fishy is going on if MC reads 300W peak and BLevo reads 450W peak.
Agreed. Also a similar bug to the voltage CSV might also affect the motor power display. I noticed and installed the new version of Blevo today. No time for a ride but I did check to see that the touted feature of being able to read the range extender seems to be working properly - now getting battery pct readings combining the in-bike and range extender. Will see if the power display has changed any, hopefully tomorrow.

Agreed. Also a similar bug to the voltage CSV might also affect the motor power display. I noticed and installed the new version of Blevo today. No time for a ride but I did check to see that the touted feature of being able to read the range extender seems to be working properly - now getting battery pct readings combining the in-bike and range extender. Will see if the power display has changed any, hopefully tomorrow.
Nub, The only right way to test is to hit a 20% grade for 5 miles. :)

Nub, The only right way to test is to hit a 20% grade for 5 miles. :)
I'll see if I can find a hill like that nearby.

With the update to Blevo, it now also shows about 300 W motor power. For the first time I also rode with the Blevo battery monitor display. As before, it shows a current draw of 4.0 amps in turbo mode - meaning it must be drawing about 2 A from the range extender to get to 300 W motor power displayed. In Eco, the in bike battery voltage was 51.4 VDC @ 75% charge and < .5 A draw. Voltage dropped to 50 V with 4 A draw. If the bike actually is providing 240 W of assist at that point -> efficiency electrical to mechanical is about 80%.
I also noticed my battery health has finally dropped a per cent on both in bike and range extender. Think in bike was about 29 charge cycles and the range extender about 38. If the drop in health is linear, over 300 charge cycles will not degrade more than 30% which is the warranty cutoff. Unlikely that I get to 300 charge cycles in less than 2 years anyways which is the other warranty cutoff. Probably looking forward to upgrading the bike to something better by then as well. I expect both battery and motor tech to improve relatively quickly for the near future.

I'll see if I can find a hill like that nearby.

With the update to Blevo, it now also shows about 300 W motor power. For the first time I also rode with the Blevo battery monitor display. As before, it shows a current draw of 4.0 amps in turbo mode - meaning it must be drawing about 2 A from the range extender to get to 300 W motor power displayed. In Eco, the in bike battery voltage was 51.4 VDC @ 75% charge and < .5 A draw. Voltage dropped to 50 V with 4 A draw. If the bike actually is providing 240 W of assist at that point -> efficiency electrical to mechanical is about 80%.
I also noticed my battery health has finally dropped a per cent on both in bike and range extender. Think in bike was about 29 charge cycles and the range extender about 38. If the drop in health is linear, over 300 charge cycles will not degrade more than 30% which is the warranty cutoff. Unlikely that I get to 300 charge cycles in less than 2 years anyways which is the other warranty cutoff. Probably looking forward to upgrading the bike to something better by then as well. I expect both battery and motor tech to improve relatively quickly for the near future.
Very cool report. Looks like things are sorted out. And, I’m with you on the battery life. It is removable anyway, so I am sure a new battery would be in the works if you decide to keep it.

Just got my Vado SL 5.0 EQ today. How to pair up Bluetooth for my Iphone and bike?
Easy. Go to iPhone Specialized app. Settings pair. Needed code to pair comes on sticker on new bike. I didn’t know what sticker was for so three it out. It’s available below on/off plate on top tube. Need a torx. Paired first try

Back