Vado SL 5.1 GQ, a 27.5/650b “Gravel-Queen”

I used to work for a Specialized dealer and before the Tero came out, there was a rumor that the next Specialized e-bike would be something closer to the Diverge Evo. In essence, a more aggressive, gravel focused Vado SL. That didn't happen, and instead the Tero came out, not that there's anything wrong with a Tero.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if in the next 2 years an EVO version of the Vado SL is released. Everything gravel you can think of, but still able to just ride on the road if you like. No EQ version. Pretty much what people are doing now to their Vado SLs to make them more gravel focused. It also wouldn't surprise me in the next two years if a 6.0 SL were released with a carbon frame. The SL is extremely popular, obviously. The issue may be they just can't make them quick enough, not enough resources for parts and builds.

Awesome thread! I have a Creo SL, which come with drop bars. I would like to go to flat bars now. What would you suggest for parts? I know brake levers, bar, but not sure about shifter stuff. Thanks.
If you feel fine with an alloy frame I would try to test a Vado SL and if it this is what your prefer, sell the Creo and take a Vado SL. Thats the safer way to be sure what you get and as the Creo is more expensive, you won't loose money this way.

Here comes the next 650B Queen, even if not for gravel:
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-21 at 22.59.20.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-21 at 22.59.19.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-08-21 at 22.59.20 (1).jpeg

My wife was sometimes complaining that her Vado ST 4.0 is very "hard"/not very comfortable. I only knew the Creo and didn't really know what she was complaining about... I knew that it had futureshock, carbon frame and tubeless, but did not expect that that much. Until I bought a Vado SL 4.0 for allday use for myself a few weeks ok...
As one can see, this bike is for a small (and light) person used to an upright riding position. What brings some extra problems, we had to change the handle bar to one with more back sweep and even now the stem shouldn't be longer than 60mm. So a Redshift stem with at least 80mm could be a problem. Also the possible seat post length is quite short, you need to shorten most models.

I found some good cheap DT Swiss wheels in 27,5 (12x110+12x148) and changed to 47mm Panaracer Gravelking SK gravel tires and TL. I know them already from the Creo and like them. Good offroad but still fast and silent on tarmac.

1) Comfort: Is good now and much better.

2) My wife hates offroad and becomes very shaky there, even worse with the smooth Vado SL tires. With 47mm and more profile this is much better now, the Gravelking SK ist fine for her. Even if wider tires would fit, we don’t what much wider due to look and weight.

3) Height: As she isn't an experienced rider, she likes to be able to reach the ground with her feet. The whole bike is now about 15mm lowe, what makes the handling much better for her. Kickstand is still working fine. With her defensive riding there is no danger for BB or motor. But I’m not sure if she now may touch the ground with cranks/pedals, which she isn’t used to. Unfortunately even the smallest size of the Vado SL ST has 170mm cranks even if the bike is suited down to 1,45m. 160 or 165mm would be much better. So the pedals are about 10mm lower now compared to my Vado SL with 175mm cranks. But if the BB is still 8mm higher than on the Creo it’s at the end only 2mm lower than my Creo. So maybe no need to change here due to ground contact. But 160mm cranks would also be much better for her short legs. On paper/on the website of Praxiworks there are SL cranks in 160mm, but I didn’t find any (alloy ones) available in “real world”, at german dealers. Even not in 165mm. Any tips here where to find them in Germany, Europe or the UK?

3) Weight: The new wheels (Dt Swiss HG1800+M1900) even if wider&strong&cheap and with the 9mm wider tires and with more profile safe 400g of weight. Together with TL about 500g. Compared to the original 38mm about 600g.

5) The fenders look a little bit strange now because of the space to the tires and the width. I'm not sure if they will be of any use in really wet conditions. But we will try it, rain has become quite rare here :-( and she does not cycle much in bad weather.

6) We’re not sure if we stay with tubeless/how big the comfort extra really is. The (only) disadvantage for us is the faster loss of air. I’m used the check/refill my TL bikes before starting, my wife isn't. Tubes are quite comfortable here, normally they keep the air pressure for months.

7) Optic: Even if it’s not that important, it looks much better now for a small bike/a small person. Also she likes it much better now.

8) Seat post: We already tried a cheap (short) spring seat post, which was totally rubbish and just extra weight. Now I bought a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST 3 and the soft rubber (45-65kg). This model can also be shortened and it works much much better, you can see that it works/moves, while the cheap one did nothing.

Overall it’s almost a new bike in 27,5”, especially for a small person. It’s disappointing that Specialized doesn’t make the bike directly with 27,5” and shorter cranks for the smallest frame sizes as other manufacturers (at least for MTBs).do. Also they could spare the complicated future Shock system and save weight and money there.

Is there a chance the our LBS can&will change the wheel diameter in SL drive to reach again at least our permited 25km/h?

Here what it looked like before:
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-12 at 22.37.55.jpeg

LOVE what you've done with the SL! I looked into 650b wheels when I got mine and for the same reason as a lot of my rides are a mix of roads, lanes, bridleways and gravel forestry trails. I recall the boost width seemed hard to find and so the expense of the few wheels I found put me off at the time (I'm the king of ebay style deals!) Instead I run WTB Nanos (40mm) on the stock 700c wheels, which really help. I also have swept back bars and a 38T chainwheel up front. However I have to ride cautiously on the rougher stuff, especially downhill, something the smaller wheels/wider tyres would have been great for. So I'm envious now and you've made me think I might revisit this wheel option. Funnily enough I'd contacted Specialized UK for advice on 650b wheels and the reply was not to do it as it would lower the BB height! I don't think he understood that effectively the BB height would remain the same; the wheels might be smaller but only to fit larger volume tyres which meant the overall diameter would be similiar.

I wonder if Spez might bring out a gravel specific Vado SL this year as it seems a great idea to me. The Vado SL XC maybe!

How is the tyre clearance at the seat stay bridge? It looks very tight on my SL, any problems there? I also want a dropper post but will need to figure a way of rewiring the saddle light - in the UK's muddy rainy winters that light is invaluable to remain seen. And battery/usb charged lights are ok but need recharging which gets annoying. A dropper on some of the crazy steep rocky descents I find myself on would be invaluable however.

Please post more pics of the wheel/tyre clearances if you have the time, its very helpful info.

PS the timber bell is great, notifies walkers without annoying them. Around Christmas a hill walker laughed and said he thought it was sleigh bells coming up behind him! Santa on the way.

The pic below is of the bike the morning after a particularly muddy winter ride, just about to clean it!
Plus my first puncture in a year and a half. Luckily it was a slow one, didn't discover until that morning, was a tiny thorn in the sidewall.

View attachment 114218
What rack is that on your Vado SL ?

Back