Vado or como

Charlotte

Hi Court
I’m shopping for my fist ebike. I have some Carpal tunnel and numbness in my hands. I currently ride a Trek DS 4 and changed the riser so it’s much better for the ct. I’m 60 and a little chubby. 5’9. I’ve test drove the Como, Vado and Aventon 500 and the Level. I love the como. But I like to ride the bay trail In the Bay Area, and sometimes I’m on pavement or some gravel and dirt. So my question is in your opinion which bike would be better? The Como or the Vado? Vado has some suspension but somehow wasn’t as comfortable, but would it handle the gravel and dirt better than the Como?. If I got the Vado would I probably need to change the handlebar riser ? I do really like the upright position of the Como. Haha I guess I feel like I’m selling out for comfort!?? Or are they very similar?
thank you for your help!
sincerely
Charlotte Gibbons

I'm not Court, but I have some insights that might help.

My wife and I have enjoyed riding southern sections of the Bay Trail. The gravel sections we encountered were relatively well groomed so I think either bike would do fine.

The main issue would be comfort. The Vado handle bars can be raised, with cable length being the limiting factor. Others have reported good results to ~6.5cm of extra height. Others have gone to different handlebar geometries. All in all, I'd suggest test riding both in various conditions and go with the most comfortable. You can tweak a bike that starts out being comfortable with much higher confidence than starting with a bike that isn't quite right.

BTW - I don't think the lack of a suspension fork on the Como needs to be a major concern as the Vado's fork has fairly limited travel (50mm) and the Como is equipped with appreciably wider tires (2.3" vs 1.85"/47mm) that will absorb quite a bit of vibration at lower pressures.

Last Summer we rode trails across the Idaho panhandle with a tour group. One rider had a Como. She seemed as comfortable on the gravel routes as the paved.

Hope this helps...😎

I'm not Court, but I have some insights that might help.

My wife and I have enjoyed riding southern sections of the Bay Trail. The gravel sections we encountered were relatively well groomed so I think either bike would do fine.

The main issue would be comfort. The Vado handle bars can be raised, with cable length being the limiting factor. Others have reported good results to ~6.5cm of extra height. Others have gone to different handlebar geometries. All in all, I'd suggest test riding both in various conditions and go with the most comfortable. You can tweak a bike that starts out being comfortable with much higher confidence than starting with a bike that isn't quite right.

BTW - I don't think the lack of a suspension fork on the Como needs to be a major concern as the Vado's fork has fairly limited travel (50mm) and the Como is equipped with appreciably wider tires (2.3" vs 1.85"/47mm) that will absorb quite a bit of vibration at lower pressures.

Last Summer we rode trails across the Idaho panhandle with a tour group. One rider had a Como. She seemed as comfortable on the gravel routes as the paved.

Hope this helps...😎

You will ride a bike more if it fits you. I consider that to be one of the most important things. The Como is a beautiful, comfortable bike. I think @Sierratim has given excellent advice as always. You can also ride the Trek offering that is similar. The Verve+3. My husband preferred the Como and I preferred the Verve+ 3 on the test rides we took. Perhaps though you have already decided, this thread is a few months old ;)

Back