Vado 5 IGH problems on steep hill

After recalibrating the bike, the hill was a little better. I was able to get up the hill at 7mph and the motor did not waver. However, that equals the power of a regular 2020 Vado 3. I still am hoping for more support from the Vado 5 even if it is an IGH. The big question is “How much torque is lost from the IGH motor?” My friend’s Rad City Bike smoked me without using the throttle.
Could you increase the set value of cadence? That might help.
When I climb a dramatic hill, I am in a very low gear, and spin the cranks: That delivers the same (or more) pedalling power as "mashing" at a lower cadence. The mid-drive motor of your e-bike will love it, and it will probably be closer to maxing it out.

After recalibrating the bike, the hill was a little better. I was able to get up the hill at 7mph and the motor did not waver. However, that equals the power of a regular 2020 Vado 3. I still am hoping for more support from the Vado 5 even if it is an IGH. The rest of my 13 mile ride was definitely better after the recalibration. My new Vado 5 IGH handled the smaller hills like a dream. I do love the bike.
@Joshelley, I am starting to consider the new Como or Vado with the Enviolo Automatiq for my wife, and so I have a few questions for you if you don't mind :):

1. Can you confirm if your Vado 5.0 IGH is the new model with the 2.2 motor that supposedly has 90Nm of torque?
  2. Is it the one with the Enviolo AutomatiQ system, where you set a preferred cadence, and the system shifts automatically to keep you at that cadence?
  3. What preferred cadence value did you set on the Enviolo?
  4. It does not look like the bike comes with the Enviolo Bluetooth handlebar controller that allows you to adjust your cadence on the fly, but the manual shows a custom handlebar controller that is supposed to give access to some of the Enviolo settings. So can you change the preferred Enviolo cadence using that handlebar controller, and do you see the cadence selected on the Vado display?
  5. Are all the Enviolo settings available on the Vado screen, or do you use the Enviolo cellphone app for them?
  6. What size frame do you have?
  7. Assuming you can insert the dropper post all the way down, what is the saddle height (ground to top of saddle) in that lowest position?
  8. How good is the Suspension part of the seat post, does it mostly reacts to large bumps, or also filter smaller ones?
Thank you for any feedback you can provide :)

Last edited:
@Joshelley, I am starting to consider the new Como or Vado with the Enviolo Automatiq for my wife, and so I have a few questions for you if you don't mind :):

1. Can you confirm if your Vado 5.0 IGH is the new model with the 2.2 motor that supposedly has 90Nm of torque?
  2. Is it the one with the Enviolo AutomatiQ system, where you set a preferred cadence, and the system shifts automatically to keep you at that cadence?
  3. What preferred cadence value did you set on the Enviolo?
  4. It does not look like the bike comes with the Enviolo Bluetooth handlebar controller that allows you to adjust your cadence on the fly, but the manual shows a custom handlebar controller that is supposed to give access to some of the Enviolo settings. So can you change the preferred Enviolo cadence using that handlebar controller, and do you see the cadence selected on the Vado display?
  5. Are all the Enviolo settings available on the Vado screen, or do you use the Enviolo cellphone app for them?
  6. What size frame do you have?
  7. Assuming you can insert the dropper post all the way down, what is the saddle height (ground to top of saddle) in that lowest position?
  8. How good is the Suspension part of the seat post, does it mostly reacts to large bumps, or also filter smaller ones?
Thank you for any feedback you can provide :)
Yes to # 1 & 2.
3. I have used Standard, Slow, Slower. When I am riding with my husband, who has a 2020 Vado 3, I usually use Slow or Slower. I find that I have increased physical pedal cadence since I have been riding this bike and tend to ride it at 70.
4. I can change the pedal cadence fairly easily using the handlebar controller. I also can access the Micro tuner using the same button. I haven’ used that very much yet. My cadence level (fast-slowest) only shows on the cadence selection screen. The actual cadence (74, 70, 69…) shows on the first screen in a green or red strip, indicating wether it is using optimal power. I think it has actually helped me improve my overall cadence when riding.
5. Enviolo settings are definitely available on the MasterMind screen. I am not aware of a specific Enviolo cell[hone app other than the Specialized Mission Control. I recommend you download the manual from the Specialized website for details on the MasterMind control. I really like it and find it much more usable than the one on my 2020 Vado 3.
6. I have a medium frame. I am a 5’5” woman.
7. You can probably find the saddle height in the specs.
8. I am using the standard seat that came with the bike, and have just ridden it on paved roads, but it seems to handle bumps well. Actually, I don’t see that much difference from the Vado 3 which doesn’t have a suspension seat.
I am getting spoiled with the automatic. I can’t feel when it changes gear. I have added the gear diagram, which show what gear I am in, to the front screen of MM, to give me an indication of how the bike is working as I get to know it. I did not like the feel of the Smart Control Mode, so I haven’t used it very much yet. The bike is fantastic on my steep driveway, about a 85 ft 15% grade, much better than my Vado 3. It is a little better than the Vado 3 on a 1/4 mile 12% grade hill near my house.
When the motor is running, it has a quiet hum that my Vado 3 did not have. Hope this information helps you with your decision.

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated.
5- Below is a video from another vendor named Evelo selling the Enviolo AutomatiQ and showing the use of the Enviolo Phone app and all the settings it offers
The part of the phone app pairing and use starts at 1:24.
Note: the video says the Enviolo cannot be connected to the phone and the controller at the same time, but this is no longer true, several month ago they updated their system to allow simultaneous connection of both.
Given Specialized has done their own integration, I would ask Specialized if there is any issue using the Enviolo app on their bike before doing so…

7- Their is no saddle height info on their site unfortunately and nothing taking the seat post into account. My wife is 5" 3" with a 28" inseam, so I need to figure out what is the lowest seat height for her on the small frame. If I get that info for any frame size, I can extrapolate the value for the small frame using the site geometry information :)

Thanks again!

5- Below is a video from another vendor named Evelo selling the Enviolo AutomatiQ and showing the use of the Enviolo Phone app and all the settings it offers
Note: the video says the Enviolo cannot be connected to the phone and the controller at the same time, but this is no longer true, several month ago they updated their system to allow simultaneous connection of both.
Given Specialized has done their own integration, I would ask Specialized if there is any issue using the Enviolo app on their bike before doing so…

7- Their is no saddle height info on their site unfortunately and nothing taking the seat post into account. My wife is 5" 3" with a 28" inseam, so I need to figure out what is the lowest seat height for her on the small frame. If I get that info for any frame size, I can extrapolate the value for the small frame using the site geometry information :)

Thanks again!
I think I can help. My wife is 5’2”- 5’3”and the small is perfect for her. We have the seatpost about 4” from bottoming out to allow for our recumbent trailer for our child (you can see the picture in the thread I posted). She thinks she’d like it about a hair shorter but couldn’t fit the trailer on her bike if we did. For the Vado at least, she would want the small frame.

Thanks again!
I would definitely recommend the small frame. I have about a 29" inseam, and long arms. I have shorter friends that have the small Comos and ride them comfortably. I went out to measure the saddle height. For mr ground to saddle top is 35"..I think it can go as low as 33".

Thank you
Which post are you referring to with the picture?
Hers is the midstep small frame. You can zoom in and see the post height that is for someone ~5’3”.

I would definitely recommend the small frame. I have about a 29" inseam, and long arms. I have shorter friends that have the small Comos and ride them comfortably. I went out to measure the saddle height. For mr ground to saddle top is 35"..I think it can go as low as 33".
Thanks, 33 is the max I am hoping for, so if it is 33 on a medium frame with the suspension seat post, it would be great on the small frame, as the medium is supposedly 2" higher than the small.

As a point of comparison, I picked up a 2022 Giant Fast Road E+, I think its a 2022, but could be a re-distributed 2021 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-eplus-ex-pro-28mph-2022 they took the link down for the '22s) to see how the ride compared to the newer tech in the Vado.. and so far, it just fits my riding style better. The Yamaha motor seems about on par with the Bosch CX in that it has good low-end torque, but also pretty good top-end speed. The bike doesn't pedal as smoothly or as quietly as the IGH, but it's on par with what you get from most standard derailleur ebikes, although theres a loud pitched whine when pedaling from the rear gears when not pedaling.. not sure what it is. ive heard it on other bikes before, just not as loud. A hill that I usually take at 10mph on the Allant +8, dropped to around 7 on the IGH, and is back to around 10-12 on the Giant. Could be due to a number of factors though. I haven't delved into the software much, but from what ive read, most people use a Garmin app to control settings. Oddly, even at about 10+ pounds heavier, the IGH pedals better off of the motor.

20220425_180708.jpg

20220425_180720.jpg

20220425_180751.jpg

Last edited:
Well, at the end of the day, my personal opinion, is that the IGH fails to meet my needs and requirements and may be advertised with fallacies of inappropriate expectations. Hence, my return and refund for the 2 IGH Vado's. Gorgeous bikes, killer everything but big-time disappointment in the performance. Regardless, I still love the brand and have a Como 5.0 non-IGH being delivered this week for my wife. Hopefully, I can give my personal opinions once I test it and experience what it has to offer.

The IGH just may be a bike thats better suited for less fit riders that can benefit from the limited gear range

I tend to disagree with Guru. I love my Vado 5.0 IGH. I now have almost 200 miles on it now, much of it on hills. Although at first I was disappointed with how it handled a hill I need to climb regularly near my house (about 12% grade 1/4 mile), I find my IGH performs quite well here. I just need to put more effort than I thought I would have to on that one hill. (See the beginning of this discussion). I live on hilly Whidbey Island, north of Seattle. I need an electric bike here because of the hilly terrain here. Fortunately few of them are 12% 1/4 mile long hills. The rest of the hills have been no issue. The bike changes gears like a dream…I now can stop in the middle of a hill and start again, without having to walk up the rest of the hill….So, yes, I am happy I traded my 2020 Vado 3.0 for my 2022 Vado 5.0 IGH.

Back