Vado 5.0 Fender Mount Bolt Replacement

dollarbin

The bolt that secures the rear fender to the back of the bottom bracket has fallen out on my 2020 Vado 5.0. The biggest issue is just the noise of the fender banging back and forth between the chainstays on rough terrain, and I'm also concerned that the wire to the rear light might be damaged.

Does anyone know if there's a way to order this part specifically as a replacement? Installation looks pretty straightforward with the exception of having to remove the rear wheel.

IMG_1425.jpg

Do you not have a local LBS? I’d just have them fix it on warranty. Otherwise, you could buy a handful of common metric sizes from the hardware store for $5 and do it yourself. I didn’t find a detailed bolt spec when I needed one for my radar bolt that vibrates out and I went that route so I didn’t have to wait on the dealer. That said, radar was a lot easier to access.

I installed a set of Specialized fenders on my girlfriend's Como 2.0 and the screw Specialized provided for this lowest mounting position was too short to use with the spacer that goes on the back side of the fender. The spacer is important because it helps prevent squeaks. I simply went to my local Ace Hardware and purchased a stainless steel replacement screw in the right size and length and installed the fender with no further problems. That was six months ago and it is working great. I don't think the mounting of the fenders is any different between the Como and Vado so I recommend you try this same approach as it was a simple and easy fix. Also, if you lost the screw you will probably also need to pick up a rubber grommet to put between the fender and the frame so it doesn't rattle or squeak. The Como fender came with a spacer about an inch in length so that is what I used, but you could probably get away with something much smaller, say 1/4" or so. I also went with a stainless steel screw to be sure it never rusts and I recommend doing that, too, as it only costs about $0.15 more than a regular screw. Do this and you should be all set.

Thanks, once again I can count on this forum for sage advice. I will try the bike store first in case they will cover it on warranty and if not I'm off to the hardware store. If anyone happens to know the exact screw size for this mount, that would be extraordinarily helpful.

Quick follow-up. One of the techs at Mike's Bikes in Palo Alto was able to scrounge up the missing part and put it on. It may or may not be something they can order but they happened to have most of a fender mount kit kicking around so I was back on the streets in minutes.

While it wasn't warranty covered, he charged me a ridiculously tiny amount, so shout out to those guys.

Back