Using Di2 hood buttons to control motor assist level? YES AND SOLVED!

I have done more research on this. I believe the key to using the hoods for assist control is to install this device:

the catch, for some of us, is that it is not available for purchase in the US. but according to TQ tech support, this will do the trick.

that would be nice! it’s really ridiculous that big manufacturers like specialized and trek sell these bikes with di2 and then add kludgy power control buttons with extra wires. just lazy.

that would be nice! it’s really ridiculous that big manufacturers like specialized and trek sell these bikes with di2 and then add kludgy power control buttons with extra wires. just lazy.
For sure! now all we need is a friendly European to help us test this experiment.

Do you have the E-TUBE phone app. available? I believe you can configure it under the "Assist" customization feature. I have the Domane+ with the 105 Di2 and I'm able to configure my left shift/brake lever to scroll forward/backward through my Garmin and control my bicycle lights using E-TUBE "Cycle computer" and my right shift/brake lever controls the front/rear derailleur using the synchronized shift & multi shift. When I first got my Domane+, I was torn if I should've spent more for hoods with the buttons until the bicycle shop mechanic proposed the solution that I currently use. I hope this information helps you.

Attachments

• IMG_4429.jpeg
    IMG_4429.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 46
Yes thanks I have that app and I have used it to configure the buttons to control my garmin scroll. But I do not have the option to use the buttons to control motor assist. I think this is because I lack that shinano part for the bike

My LBS got this to work. It is very cool. Right hood button is assist up. Left hood button is assist down. Super cool because there is no more delay between assist level 1 and off (with the normal assist buttons, you had to hold the down button for an extra long time to kill the assist). So now I got rid of the old assist buttons and just use the hood buttons, which is extra clean. Interestingly enough, this also gets rid of the Di2 battery: the bike battery now powers the shifters.

The key to making this work was that part above I listed on post #2 and I also needed a "TQ Smart Box Di2 Adapter Cable". Apparently the newer models ship with this, so hopefully you already have it in your tool box that came with the bike. I had to order one.

Doing all this is not really end user friendly. My mechanic had to remove the crankset, battery, etc. etc. But it works great.

My LBS got this to work. It is very cool. Right hood button is assist up. Left hood button is assist down. Super cool because there is no more delay between assist level 1 and off (with the normal assist buttons, you had to hold the down button for an extra long time to kill the assist). So now I got rid of the old assist buttons and just use the hood buttons, which is extra clean. Interestingly enough, this also gets rid of the Di2 battery: the bike battery now powers the shifters.

The key to making this work was that part above I listed on post #2 and I also needed a "TQ Smart Box Di2 Adapter Cable". Apparently the newer models ship with this, so hopefully you already have it in your tool box that came with the bike. I had to order one.

Doing all this is not really end user friendly. My mechanic had to remove the crankset, battery, etc. etc. But it works great.
this is AWESOME!

i have been exploring what it would take to get the bike battery on my scott e-bike to power the di2 system. as you note, not as easy as it should be given the nature of di2.

Yes you wouldn’t think it would be this hard, it I guess that Shimano part is specific to the motor. At any rate, I’d be curious to hear if there is any other e-bike where this can be done. This feature will keep me loyal to the Domane+

Back