Using Dahon's valet Truss for the front cargo?

cutemint0615

Hi everyone!
I placed my order to Volador earlier this month and now I'm waiting for my new bike to come on mid-July!
I thought that the shape of front cargo that Qualisports provided is kind of weird. So I am wondering whether I can actually substitute it with Dahon's Valet truss:
E-trailer Dahon Valet truss
and combine with their front luggage rack
Dahon front luggage rack
That will give me more flexibility for carrying items.
Based on the pictures from etrailer, the connecting part seems compatible. Since I'm a newbie in the bicycle world so I would like to hear some opinions before I move forward to purchase any after market item. Any opinion will be appreciated!

Welcome @cutemint0615! For all info avail, you would be another accessorizing pioneer like @Kathy Smith with her Brompton compatibility research. I believe the hole spacing is either the exactly the same, or within a 1mm close enough with 1mm smaller bolts on the Volador/Dolphin, ie. worst case, you'd have to open/drill/dremel the upper and lower holes on the Dahon adapter 1mm. Look forward to seeing what you do with your bike when it arrives! I have the OEM basket and with some tweaks it's workable for me.

Thank you @goldconch! I actually checked all the qualisports posts out already. LoL.
It sounds like it should work with minor adjustment. I think I'll go ahead and buy a set to test it out.

Another question: has anyone tried to install a magnet lock on the bike to hold it together while folded?
I've seen people complaining about the bike is not held well when you try to roll it. So I guess this will definitely help this situation.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 504
I've seen people complaining about the bike is not held well when you try to roll it.

I'd hold off til you get your own bike and test it out yourself. The basket (or Dahon adapter) will add a wee bit of asymmetry width on the left side, but shouldn't affect the overall alignment and tracking of the wheels underneath. Only the ungeared front wheel spins backwards and both wheels will have gyroscopic mechanics in their favor.

If you're commuting, and walking it a lot folded, the weak links will probably be: lack of rear derailleur guard, and absence of lower frame stand/protector for lower crank (when seat post raised in "ready to roll" position). The latter, just requires lowering the seat when you stop rolling.

Just wanna give a quick update about using the adapter. In the end, I bought Tern's valet truss because I would like to use Kanga rack with Klickfix. The valet truss just worked out perfectly without any modification. I use it to carry my backpack while commuting to work and it works like a charm. It's pretty bulky but I usually just disassemble the rack when I store my bike folded.
Here is the link to the valet truss and the rack I bought:
Valet truss/Kanga rack-ThorUSA

Will post a picture once I receive replacement parts from Qualisports. My hardware packet missing a pair of fender bracket holder so can't install the front fender for now.....It's quite annoying that I need to send multiple emails/messages to get someone taking care of my problem. (The communication with them is not very efficient. They answered a part of my question but leave my replacement request unanswered.)

Another question I would like to ask is: I'm having trouble installing the rear rack on the Volador. The angle of the screw is very awkward so I cannot screw it in. I tried to use Allen ranch with longer/shorter arms but still can't get it done. Can anyone who successfully install the rack give me some tips or suggestions?

Another question I would like to ask is: I'm having trouble installing the rear rack on the Volador. The angle of the screw is very awkward so I cannot screw it in. I tried to use Allen ranch with longer/shorter arms but still can't get it done. Can anyone who successfully install the rack give me some tips or suggestions?

@cutemint0615 Excellent pioneering work on cross-incorporating the Tern/Kanga components! That adds to the research/customization library for others.

Oddly enough, I take my rear rack on and off quite a lot on my Dolphin because I have affixed folding shopping baskets (weight) which I don't always need...it's probably similar.

On the first attempt, work slowly, leave the rack out of the equation, and just attach and detach the allen bolts on their own to get it all worked-in. There may be some paint in the bolt holes/threads initially, and be a bit stiff. There are two chainstay holes. The upper one is for the rack attachment, the lower for the rear fender.

Next, incorporate rack, very loosely thread the bolts with your fingers and tighten with key tool only once all four are properly seated with the rack. I start with top frame bolts to keep alignment, and then work down to the chainstay spots that will take the load. Don't cross threads. If there's resistance, stop, reverse, try again. The bike is prob on kickstand, so take that into account when eye-balling the angle of insertion on the allen bolts. Tightening I start at the bottom and finish at the upper frame points - you will note there is some sliding room flexibility on the rack attachment at that point to make final adjustments.

So it seems that Qualisports improves their rack design when they release the Dolphin model. Here I include pictures to compare:
20inch-Red-Folding-Electric-Bike-On-Sale-By-Qualisports-Volador-2019-2_2048x.jpg

qualisports_USA_folding_electric_bike_eletric_bicycle_Dolphin_mini_ebike_light_weight_bike_5_2...jpg

The circled area is the place that I'm having trouble with. The space between the tire and the computer box is too narrow, so I can't get my Allen wrench straight to screw the bolt. And based on the picture, the bolt is coming inside out, which makes it even harder to handle. I can't even put a bolt without the rack into the frame at that position. I'm wondering maybe I should use a different tool to do this job? Or I should deflate my tire to give me more space to handle this job?

So it seems that Qualisports improves their rack design when they release the Dolphin model. Here I include pictures to compare:View attachment 61513
View attachment 61512
The circled area is the place that I'm having trouble with. The space between the tire and the computer box is too narrow, so I can't get my Allen wrench straight to screw the bolt. And based on the picture, the bolt is coming inside out, which makes it even harder to handle. I can't even put a bolt without the rack into the frame at that position. I'm wondering maybe I should use a different tool to do this job? Or I should deflate my tire to give me more space to handle this job?

Wow I see, that is really different and weird. I think you're right. You might have to fully (a) deflate or (b) remove rear tire. I've done the latter a few times now and it is a multi-stepper: involves unclipping chain stay zip tie, carefully disconnecting separating motor cable, removing rear derailleur and soft alloy derailleur hanger snaking wire harness through cap, undoing bolts...everything back in reverse, lining up cable arrows, plus recalibrating rear brake disc and new zip tie. So, I would start with getting near an air pump and (a) deflating the tire and see how that goes!

So I've ridden on Volador for about a month and hit 300 miles already. Overall it is a small and mighty bike! Really like it. I can do my 12 miles commute in a hilly area easily and only need to charge it once every day. And it folds small so I can store it in my office and no need to carry a heavy bike lock with me. I've solved the rear rack problem by using a small retract wrench and fully deflate the rear wheel. Here is a picture of my bike which is using the Kenga rack with valet truss (both from Tern). So far my backpack is very secure with the strap provided on the rack.
IMG_0630.jpg

I also put some reflective stickers to enhance visibility. A more comfy saddle with the shock absorber is a must for volador because it has no suspension. Next, after my tire is worn out, I would like to change my tire to Big Apple for a smoother ride.....the bike path on my commute is really bumpy!

So I've ridden on Volador for about a month and hit 300 miles already. Overall it is a small and mighty bike! Really like it. I can do my 12 miles commute in a hilly area easily and only need to charge it once every day. And it folds small so I can store it in my office and no need to carry a heavy bike lock with me. I've solved the rear rack problem by using a small retract wrench and fully deflate the rear wheel. Here is a picture of my bike which is using the Kenga rack with valet truss (both from Tern). So far my backpack is very secure with the strap provided on the rack.
View attachment 64595
I also put some reflective stickers to enhance visibility. A more comfy saddle with the shock absorber is a must for volador because it has no suspension. Next, after my tire is worn out, I would like to change my tire to Big Apple for a smoother ride.....the bike path on my commute is really bumpy!
Hi,

What is that saddle?

Oh that’s the shock absorber. I do feel this is the thing makes the ride more comfortable. I bought it from eBay but here is a link from Amazon: Splumzer Bicycle Shock Absorber- Bicycle Saddle Alloy Spring Steel Suspension Device, Road Bike Seat Shock Absorber Cycling Parts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7TWLR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zG4vFbDJ83E49

It sinks down a little bit once you sit on it. So the sitting angle is not changed too much. I think this is the best upgrade so far.

Oh that’s the shock absorber. I do feel this is the thing makes the ride more comfortable. I bought it from eBay but here is a link from Amazon: Splumzer Bicycle Shock Absorber- Bicycle Saddle Alloy Spring Steel Suspension Device, Road Bike Seat Shock Absorber Cycling Parts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7TWLR6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zG4vFbDJ83E49

It sinks down a little bit once you sit on it. So the sitting angle is not changed too much. I think this is the best upgrade so far.
Thanks, I just ordered that shock absorber!

Back