Using a leaf blower to dry bike

Yamahonian

Hi all,

I watched a video about cleaning your eBike, and a big comment was that you should always dry it before bringing it inside, or any water from your garden hose left on the motor areas will lead to rust. I was thinking about getting this portable, affordable leaf blower from home depot to dry the bike

It blows at 81 miles per hour.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea, or is it a bad idea for reasons unbeknown to myself?

I think it would work well.
If you angle it right, you will push water out of the frame rather than into the motor casing.

Looks like you are on a buying spree :) Bike+ accessories etc.
If you think you will be riding some hardcore trails and the bike might get dirty, then it might be worth investing into that. If not, a simple hair dryer would work.
I have used to hair dryer for different applications. Once I spilled water on my laptop and after some circus, I tried hair dryer and it worked superbly.
I have also used it to dry battery contact terminals on my E-bike after getting drenched in rain.

I'd be more worried blowing water into bearings or electrical components at 81 mph. I normally dry my bike gently with an old clean towel. Clean and lubricate the chain and since I park inside I figure the heat of the room evaporates the rest of the moisture remaining...

my bike sits in my garage wet after a commute in the rain its fine. sometimes not stays wet overnight if the humidity is high.

Some automotive detailers do that. I tried drying my car using a leaf blower. While it may have benefits, I found it a pain to use, so I went back to using microfiber drying towels.

That's an awesome idea! I wish I would have thought about it! Riding in freezing New England winters with all of the wet road salt, but no access to a outside hose, I was stumped about how to wash off the road salt. I bought a low pressure, hand pump garden sprayer that's filled with water to wash off the salt and then I towel dry the bike. The leaf blower is a perfect compliment. Genius idea!!

Copper and aluminum don't rust, so no worries. Just let it dry out and you'll be fine. The steel bearings are surely sealed.

I use an air compressor to blow dirt off and dry my bike. I don't see why a leaf blower wouldn't work as long as you watch where you are pushing the water.

You can use those thing on leafs? Who knew my portable dryer could do so much(and runs on lithium batteries too)..the more the water beads the better it works. Once my bikes are clean it takes just a few min to a quick wax on it lasts a long time. My wife bought some no water wax from someone where she worked. I tried it my bike works great except it gave her a “ I told you so” ...the score is me billion and her 1 :)

Last edited:
I don't have to hose down our bikes, but I have found many uses for a cordless leaf blower. It is one of my favorite outdoor tools. If you own your home it is a great, inexpensive investment. And it will even dry your bike. ;)

I'd be more worried blowing water into bearings or electrical components at 81 mph. I normally dry my bike gently with an old clean towel. Clean and lubricate the chain and since I park inside I figure the heat of the room evaporates the rest of the moisture remaining...

Thanks everybody for the feedback - this is what I am worried about too - blowing into bearings/electrical components. I have been using a microfiber towel but it is hard to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Somebody mentioned a no-water wax after washing as a way to combat water, are they referring to something like this?

Hi all,

I watched a video about cleaning your eBike, and a big comment was that you should always dry it before bringing it inside, or any water from your garden hose left on the motor areas will lead to rust. I was thinking about getting this portable, affordable leaf blower from home depot to dry the bike

It blows at 81 miles per hour.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea, or is it a bad idea for reasons unbeknown to myself?
I've been using a Craftsman electric leaf blower to dry my motorcycles and bikes since the 1980's. It isn't super high power, I think it is 65 mph. Same one all these years. I don't use it for anything else, as I have s much more powerful one for yard work.

One note. I've told friends about using a blower for this and one friend used his leaf blower that he does use for yard work. He uses it for both blowing and vacuuming to a bag. Apparently there's always debris left inside it from the vacuuming and he blew it all over his 20 grand Harley. That didn't end well:eek:

A dedicated, lower power blower has worked well for me. Good luck!

It's my opinion you can do as much damage as good with pressure removal of water. You are pushing water around the connectors. The worst place is on a hub motor where the wires go into the motor. Here's what water in a hub motor can do. Not mine, but supposedly from riding in rain.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.15.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.15.45 AM.png
    486.8 KB · Views: 340
I've been using a Craftsman electric leaf blower to dry my motorcycles and bikes since the 1980's. It isn't super high power, I think it is 65 mph. Same one all these years. I don't use it for anything else, as I have s much more powerful one for yard work.

One note. I've told friends about using a blower for this and one friend used his leaf blower that he does use for yard work. He uses it for both blowing and vacuuming to a bag. Apparently there's always debris left inside it from the vacuuming and he blew it all over his 20 grand Harley. That didn't end well:eek:

A dedicated, lower power blower has worked well for me. Good luck!
I use my B&D lithium battery powered blower that came as part of a hedge trimmer/weed whacker set I got in 2013 - batteries are all still going strong, probably less than 80% of original capacity but that's plenty for my needs. The blower's not very powerful - I'd wager under 40mph but that's probably better for not forcing water into crevices... And not having to plug in is awesome!

I thought about getting B&D's fast charger but wonder if it would have accelerated battery decay - because I have 3 batteries, I can wait 4-5 hours on the trickle charger ⚡:)⚡

Too slow. Ride around the block, blow out any excess water with your air compressor and a nozzle if necessary. 👍

Ha! I love the attitude! I used the leaf blower last weekend -- and I don't see how it could ever be a problem. I ran the leafblower for ~30 seconds. Then I used a towel for another 60 seconds to finish the job. But after reading Browneye's post I'm never doing that again... just go for a quick ride! Duh!

I rarely wash my bikes. The only time they get wet is when they are ridden or transported in the rain. I clean the bikes when they are dry with compressed air, a bristle brush set and a rag. Sometimes a damp sponge is necessary for tough spots. No, they don't get spotlessly clean but that doesn't bother me.

Back