User feedback about RadMini + chainring modifications

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I receive emails and phone calls pretty regularly about ebikes and one user named John M. from Cave Creek Arizona sent the following message about his new RadMini. I appreciated the pictures and additional details that might be different from my 2018 review and wanted to share with all of you. I don't always have the time to do this and appreciate all of you posting on your own, but I do what I can, when I can :D

Hi Court, I have had my Rad Mini a week, put 140 miles on it, wanted to give you some initial feed back.

Box was a mess when it arrived, logged that with UPS. But inside all was good, no scratches, perfect. Took about an hour to unpack and build what little there was to do. Its a quality product, very complete, 2 instruction book, one half in Chinese, the other half in Chinglish!

Bike is comfortable, nice saddle, big fat tires and new front suspension. Handy carrier, now has small bike bag on the back for repair stuff, pump, tube, Slime etc. Longest I’ve run with hills, 32miles, 3 bars left. Even on hills I use 2-3-4 almost never throttle, sometimes for starting off from lights.

radmini-ride-stats-31-miles.jpeg

One major change, I added a 53T chainring with cranks, Mini is too low geared form me, now I can pedal up to about 18-19mph, over 20mph down hill, can only coast. That’s up from about 14-15mph. Did consider 56T chainring, but when folded, crank would have been supporting the weight of the bike, not the ‘U’ bracket. I’m looking for a stainless 6’ chain (144 links). Putting the 53T crank on, even with a longer 120 chain, can’t get into 1st on the rear cassette. No big deal, I’ll never use it. If you know of anyone that sells 7 speed stainless by the foot, please let me know.

rad-power-bikes-radmini-larger-litepro-chainring-cranks.jpeg

Overall I’m thrilled with the product and its performance. Contacted Rad customer service a couple of times (about crank, not a problem) prompt courteous reply. Mini is better than expected, distance at least 35 maybe 40 miles the way I ride. Speed (did make a minor ‘adjustment’ in the control for 40kph) off road of course. On level ground throttle only it will get to 22mph ish.

Added an iPhone bracket (modified Otter box belt clip), mirror and throttle rocker since removed-using a wire tie now! And small flashing lights (white blob to left of controller).

custom-phone-mount-for-radmini-otter-box-and-light.jpeg

Also, here’s an idea for getting the rear wheel off the ground for flats, chain maintenance etc. Use a piece of plastic pipe with a rubber foot on one end and slit on the other to clip into the chain guard. Pulls apart for easier storage!

diy-stand-for-ebike-maintenance-radmini.jpeg

My wife’s Ness Icon is arriving tomorrow, can’t wait to compare and contrast that with the Mini. My wife is 60lbs lighter than me, so thinking we’ll be equally matched when out together with the lighter bike. We are both avid ‘regular’ bikers (she triathlon, me mountain), we might be a bit fitter than some. There is a very active Face book group for Rad, got lots of tips there and of course your Rad forum.

Thanks for the brilliant reviews, keep them coming. Your expertise was the number one factor in making our eBike choices. If you ever get to the Scottsdale/Cave Creek AZ area, please look me up, need a bed or a beer. Or if you are in the San Juan, Victoria area etc, we live on a boat in the summer up there-that’s what the folding bikes are really for, exploring the islands once we dock.

Best wishes and thanks again. John.

Hi, the idea of 'rear wheel off the ground for flats, chain maintenance etc' with a plastic pipe is intriguing. But when you prop it up, what keeps it from falling over on the other side?

Hi, the idea of 'rear wheel off the ground for flats, chain maintenance etc' with a plastic pipe is intriguing. But when you prop it up, what keeps it from falling over on the other side?
Yep, its side stand. You only lift bike up about 1”, just so wheel clears.

Back