USB port on the Reention battery

Fred

Does anyone know what the rated amp output is for the USB port on the Reention battery? And whether it varies depending on the battery capacity (13Ah, 16Ah, 19Ah, etc.)?

Does anyone know what the rated amp output is for the USB port on the Reention battery? And whether it varies depending on the battery capacity (13Ah, 16Ah, 19Ah, etc.)?
All the same! 5 volts DC in the same range as a USB wall charger. Reention supplies a decent PCB used in all cases with USB port.
DIS0006
Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 11.26.30 AM.png

Last edited:
Darn, 700mA probably wouldn't charge my Samsung Note20 Android phone. The 500 mA USB port on the bike display definitely won't.

Problem is, without onboard charging, RideWithGPS can kill the phone battery in under 20 miles — even at the lowest-draw settings.

However, the USB port on my 20 Ah Reention Dorado battery may have bigger problems: When I plug in my USB-C phone with 3 different cables known to be good, the phone throws an "incomplete connection" error and won't take charge. Reseating the cables in the port doesn't help.

Thoughts, anyone?

Hi Jeremy, Maybe take an external "Phone Battery Bank" with you & recharge your Ph from that.
Thanks! Turns out there were 2 problems at work here. (1) The bike battery's USB port is indeed defective. (2) I inadvertently set RideWithGPS for max power consumption.

With (2) fixed, phone battey life on RideWithGPS is OK on rides under 20 miles. As for (1), the bike battery's being replaced under warranty. A recent test on a similar bike battery makes me think that the new one will charge my phone, albeit slowly. If too slowly to keep up with RideWithGPS on longer rides, I'll get a power bank for backup.

Over the years of support I saw USB ports that were faulty and damaged devices plugged in to charge. I suggest owning and inexpensive USB port testing device to check voltage out. I now avoid new battery with a port. In favor of a $25 Anker LiFePo4 power packs that will charge several devices before needing a recharge, sized about like an iPhone mini 13.

The USB port on my bike is also rated at 700ma. Not of much use other than to charge a phone. I had to wire up a pair of these for my lights & GPS:

They supply a reliable 2A each.

I agree with @tomjasz above, it's best to have a USB tester handy:

Back