US proposes 25% tariffs on Chinese ebikes

Thanks for the link Ann. I don't see a lot of hope as the current administration seems to be hell bent on doing whatever they can to stifle any forward progress in regards to the health and welfare of the gen pop.

It would be one thing if there were facilities in place to take up the slack with the ability to manufacture, creating jobs desperately needed here, but the cost of doing business that is also being affected daily by the administration will certainly not make that possible in the short term and very iffy in the long term.

My cruiser was ordered and payed for june 20th, so now the long wait for the cargo ship!
I'm worried a 25% tarif will be applied at customs and they hold it hostage...I'd hate to cancel but 25% is outrageous IMO and I'm not sure what obligation I owe to pay this extra tax/penalty/tarif!?

Note to all bike shop owners and small manufacturers of custom ebikes, Fact: Electric Bikes & fully built Lithium Battery Packs ARE on the 2nd list of tariffs that is being considered to go into effect at the end of August or early Sept. Electric bike motors & Lithium cells had their tariff go into effect yesterday, 07/06/18. This is not a point of contention it is Real. These items are already subject to the tariff without any easy way to remove them. Unless our industry's submissions to the commission reviewing the 2nd list of items subject to the 25% tariff are accepted, we WILL also see whole ebikes and whole lithium batteries increase in price. We have until July 23rd to make submissions online. Many of our manufacturers & importers went to D.C. already to do presentations in person. DO NOT Make Assumptions that our products are going to vanish off this next tariff list, just because.

Here is some information about how to make your voice heard on this matter during the comment period from one of my suppliers:

"You may submit your statement to the USTR by following the link https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=USTR-2018-0018-0001. Please click on the blue box Comment Now! at the right top corner of the page. We suggest that you read the View Commenter's Checklist (PDF) prior to submitting your comment so you understand what they are looking for in the public comments they receive.

Remember, you only have until July 23rd to submit your comment. Electric Bicycles are an important commodity because these are inexpensive, eco-friendly safe modes of transportation. Increasing the price will greatly affect the American consumers. Lets do what we can to try to prevent this spike in costs."

If I could add something: The reason e-bikes are on the list this time is because there were enough consumer complaints to remove about $16 billion from the first list. Because of that, e-bikes were included in the list to replace those products removed. Don't think your voice doesn't matter! If we can generate enough response, maybe we can get e-bikes off the list as well.

Thank you.

Ann M. wrote,
We suggest that you read the View Commenter's Checklist (PDF)
Where is that, please, I am not seeing it even though it may be under my nose.

I do see that they prefer you to upload a Word or Adobe document.

But you can also just write in the commentary box and images can also be included.

It doesn't appear until you get to the actual comment page Reid. Lower right in the pic, but upper part of that page.

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 6.42.02 AM.png

Also, @Reid, on the page you land on with that link, scroll down to Part D:

"D. Requests for Public Comments
In accordance with section 304(b) of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2414(b)), USTR invites comments from interested persons with respect to the proposed additional action of imposing an additional 25 percent ad valorem duty on the products classified in the list of tariff subheadings in Annex C of this notice. To be assured of consideration, you must submit written comments on this proposed additional action in response to China's acts, policies, and practices by July 23, 2018, and post-hearing rebuttal comments by July 31, 2018.

In this second round of comments on the proposed action to be taken in the investigation, USTR requests that comments be limited to the proposed additional action of imposing additional duties on the products classified in the tariff subheadings in Annex C. In other words, USTR is inviting comments on maintaining or removing a subheading currently listed in Annex C, not on the tariff subheadings in Annex A, or any other subheading.

USTR requests that commenters address specifically whether imposing increased duties on a particular subheading listed in Annex C would be practicable or effective to obtain the elimination of China's acts, policies, and practices, and whether maintaining or imposing additional duties on a particular product listed in Annex C would cause disproportionate economic harm to U.S. interests, including small- or medium-sized businesses and consumers."

Also, if you click on the link just below the top of the page, you can read some of the submitted comments; a number of which do seem to address electric bikes, components & e-scooters.

Thanks to People For Bikes, you can voice your opinion in less than two minutes with pre-filled forms.

There are three links, each filled out appropriately to object to the tariff for each group's perspective.

Retailers: click here. LINK
Consumers click here: LINK
Manufacturers and other businesses click here: LINK

Please share on Facebook, Twitter, forums and everywhere. Every voice matters! Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks to People For Bikes, you can voice your opinion in less than two minutes with pre-filled forms.

There are three links, each filled out appropriately to object to the tariff for each group's perspective.

Retailers: click here. LINK
Consumers click here: LINK
Manufacturers and other businesses click here: LINK

Please share on Facebook, Twitter, forums and everywhere. Every voice matters! Thank you!

Done !
Thank you for the Link.

By the way, e-bikes may not be the target of the tariff, but collateral damage. E-bikes share the same HTS import/export codes as electric motorcycles and Harley just announced production of an e-motorcycle. There are also other US manufacturers to protect in that sector. There is a push to separate the two, but too many similarities - s-pedelecs blur the line in many states and federal law, possibly making Class III e-bikes competition to mopeds, e-scooters and motorcycles. Where would they draw the lines on frames, motor sizes, speed...? Tough call. Lengthy debate. Won't resolve soon.

I'm assuming they're going through even though I'm still fighting. I got the LA Times and OC Register doing stories on how the tariffs will affect local bike manufacturers (20+) and how that impacts retail and the LBS. I was hoping for some free face time, but they only want to talk to "established" businesses to discuss impact on employment. As long as they cover it and promote the People For Bikes online forms, I'm happy.

So please post the links on your Facebook page and ask your friends to take two minutes... Contact the manufacturer of the e-bike you ride and ask them to email all their customers. Every voice counts! Facebook

Last edited:
English teeth today have been stained and rotted by centuries swilling tea with sugar formerly refined from beets and modern dentistry in the USA is an unaffordable necessity driving thousands to Mexico and Thailand where they do not die because smallpox vaccine was reinvented by an Englishman Jenner with presumably bad teeth, who, like yourself was certainly not against potable water, per se, but was for tea because boiling water then made water potable.[/QUOTE]

No problem Reid, I still have all my teeth....I keep most of 'em in a small box on my desk. Knocked my last three upper
molars loose with a violent sneeze. Uppers now gone completely. I only paid for an extraction once,($180), Being
a shameless cheapskate, I did the rest myself. I consider false teeth inconvenient & largely a cosmetic vanity. I can
still chew most anything.....though it takes a bit longer.

Attachments

• 01_29_16_2e0da98f190ac4c12fad97b9e1e975c3.jpg
    01_29_16_2e0da98f190ac4c12fad97b9e1e975c3.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 312
  • EmilysQuotes.Com-old-age-honorable-death-people-want-need-understanding-wisdom-Crow-Native-Ame...jpg
    EmilysQuotes.Com-old-age-honorable-death-people-want-need-understanding-wisdom-Crow-Native-Ame...jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 350
BRAIN report the Customs & Border Protection agency has determined ebikes fall under the Electric Motorcycle category and therefore are excluded from the 25% import tariffs.

Reactions: JRA
what with the credit that existed for electric cars for so long it would be a step backward to put a tariff on e-bikes.

big money always talks. The real problem with energy is that we don't have the electrical generating capacity or line carrying capacity to convert over all the way yet. Trillions will have to be spent to prepare for it.

Glad its just over, and glad to hear that all the ebike OEM's (many of whom took the risk and absorbed tariffs rather than pass them on) will get refunded retroactively for the money they sent to the government.

I wish all the ebike vendors a prosperous 2020 and all consumers who want to try one, success in finding one that is a good fit for them.

Back