CPSC seeks feedback on revisions to e-bike regulations

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
BRAIN reports the CPSC is accepting comments from the bicycle industry, retailers, and members of the public, on revisions to US regulations around “low-speed electric bicycle” as described in 15 U.S.C. 2085(b). BRAIN reports at this time "CPSC is gathering comments on rules that would regulate the mechanical aspects of e-bikes, but not issues related to lithium-ion battery safety, which the commission is considering separately." The commenting period will remain open until May 15.

interesting to read through, no real comment from me i just hope they don't require registration and insurance anytime soon even though i could see the argument for it, makes the economics of ownership a lot more palatable. i also hope they don't get banned on bike paths because thats another real perk to use because most bike lanes are really dangerous.

interesting to read through, no real comment from me i just hope they don't require registration and insurance anytime soon even though i could see the argument for it, makes the economics of ownership a lot more palatable. i also hope they don't get banned on bike paths because thats another real perk to use because most bike lanes are really dangerous.

Not sure either of those are on the table for the CPSC. Financial responsibility/insurance is largely a matter of state law. Legal use of paths is all over the place but usually under some local jurisdiction/park department/something like that. They do tend to follow state law, and most state laws follows the model legislation PFB puts out. CPSC basically defines safety standards at point of sale.

Probably the biggest thing they could hit is removing some types of ebikes from the legal definition of ebike (like, if they changed the rule to say that a low speed electric bicycle can't assist above 20mph that would effectively remove class 3s from the legal definition and clear the way for states to ban or regulate them more like motorcycles/mopeds). Hard to see that happening but who knows.

From the article:

According to the notice, the CPSC identified several hazard patterns related to studied e-bike injuries. They include the conspicuity of e-bikes to pedestrians and operators of other vehicles, the size and weight of the e-bike and rider, the speed and acceleration of e-bikes, their braking performance, component durability, integrity of frames, and helmet performance.

The notice said the CPSC concluded that its current standards for regular bikes are inadequate for e-bikes, as are voluntary industry standards. It said available international standards are inadequate because they don't address the higher speeds that e-bikes sold in the U.S. are capable of.

thanks for clarifying, i would say anecdotally i really struggle to go much over 20 mph on my e-bike, most rides i cruise around 15-18 mph and feel very comfortable while also moving along nicely. i topped it out at 28mph on PAS 5 and really everything over 20mph felt pretty unsafe especially for bike paths. i just didn't feel like i would be able to stop safely if something went out in front me unexpected and i didn't feel fully in control of the bike over 20 mph. i'm of the opinion that these electric powered devices like e-bikes, scooters, hoverboards will just keep flying under the radar for the next few years with a few random bans here and there but no real substantial rules.

Micro-mobility is the future. It takes cars off the road and ends wasteful heat island lifeless parking lots. Water cannot percolate a parking lot. Parking is a real estate waste we all pay for in higher prices. That space can be reused in beneficial ways. An electric Hyundai goes from zero to sixty in 3.4 seconds, a Tesla 2.9 seconds. Regulate cars and create a safe green micro-mobility paradise network where everything you need is within 15 minutes. I do not like to ride class 3 bikes over 24 in safe conditions. That is also near the top end for human powered analog bikes. Bikes are not a threat to drivers it is the other way around. Focus on the real threat and real problem such as rolling coal and not on micro-mobility solutions.

There is a popular grocery store in my downtown that has almost 20 employees working at any given time. If they all drive a car, that means 20 prime downtown parking spaces. If they all rode bikes and scooters, that takes up two parking spaces because you can fit 10 bikes per one car parking space. With less parked cars we can have wide dedicated and protected bike lanes, so everyone will feel safe riding and want to ride more than drive. It takes me 12 minutes on a bike to cross town. In a car it takes 24 minutes plus 5 to find parking and to walk from parking.

with overall costs going up so quick with inflation, it makes you wonder what will give first, my bet for some people it will be cars between housing, food, cars. i have found my quality of life and budget to be in a much better situation since i got rid of my car years ago (still have one car for our family but i try to bike most days to the office). maybe you have read it or recommended it on the forum but somehow i came across the book paved paradise a few months back and found it pretty wild. lots of dead money going towards parking and a lot of inflated prices in stores and apartments/condos for parking requirements. im not a developer and don't plan to become one, but that book was fascinating on how much of new development costs are due to meeting parking requirements. Culdesac Tempe was just getting going as I moved out of Phoenix, I'm curious if anyone here has checked it out, supposedly a car-free type neighborhood, looked really cool.

The CPSC isn't really in the business of promoting cycling as a lifestyle or anything like that. They are an independent government agency focused solely on consumer product safety regulations. So all they really look at is whether products are unnecessarily risky and make decisions on regulations (or bans) to control that risk.

According to the article, the CPSC has already "made a preliminary determination that new safety standards are needed and plans to develop new standards to address these risks." The concern here is that they decide to change how ebikes are defined in a way that throws the market a curveball or places limits on bikes that are legal to ride today.

Doesn't seem to be anything proposed at the moment, its all in the preliminary phase. But its something to keep a close eye on.

They also require that new bikes come with or are offered the option of front, rear, and side reflectors. The thing about safety is that a lot has to do with context. A bike could be perfectly safe in most contexts until you get doored in a tight urban context. A bike could be great, unless it is direct to consumer and not assembled correctly. I saw a one-star review of a Target bike where the guy had the fork backwards and the cables in a knot. It had a sticker that said FRONT.

Back