Urban Ryder electric bikes from Costco?

Hey Tom! Welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing this here. I had never seen these bikes (probably because I'm in the US and don't have a Costco membership at the moment...) but I'm sure more people will be discovering them and it's neat to see ebikes hitting the mainstream marketplaces :)

I'm going to share some basic thoughts based on images and specs and then link to a few bikes that I've reviewed which resemble the Urban Ryder frame design and drive system. To begin, it looks like the founder of Green Light Cycle (the company that makes the Urban Ryder) discovered ebikes in Asia and then decided to "build his own" I'm sure they mean design his own, and I'm sure it's build in Asia given the lower pricepoint and standard frame/battery systems in use.

The company began when the founder, having traveled extensively to the far East, was intrigued when he tried his first E-Bike in Asia. Over the next few years, many brands and models were tested...After struggling to find the perfect bike and with a background of over 30 years in the electrical appliance and manufacturing industry, he decided to take matters into his own hands.

The bike has a one year warranty which seems to include everything, it's available to the original purchaser and you're required to show proof of purchase. Here's the official word:

To begin a warranty claim, the Warranty Registration information (found on the last page of the User Manual), must be completed and returned to Green Light Cycle Ltd.™ We recommend you record this information as soon as you have completed reading the User Manual. To claim warranty, please have the Warranty Registration information ready and call Green Light Cycle Ltd.™ (1-855-476-7933), between the hours of 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday Pacific Standard Time, or send an email to: [email protected].

urban-ryder.jpg urban-ryder-electric-bike.jpg urban-ryder-ebike.jpg urban-ryder-test-ride.jpg

General thoughts on the specs:
  • Both the Urban Ryder and Urban Cruzer use a powerful 500 watt geared rear hub motor powered by 8FUN which offers good quality and solid torque for accelerating and climbing. You're not going to get regenerative braking and it won't be as quiet as a direct drive motor but this is actually a pretty decent setup.
  • The battery is mounted in a good spot (low and center) which will offer stability and improved balance. It's removable for easy charging or to make transporting the bike less of a struggle and it and offers excellent power with 48 volts and good capacity with 10 amp hours (so it's a 480 watt hour system in total).
  • The drive system uses a King Meter LCD computer (which I like) that shows your speed, range and battery capacity. It lets you choose either throttle mode (twist and go) or one of five modes of pedal assist which will rely on a pedelec system (tiny magnetic dots that pass a sensor and signal on/off).
  • The pedal assist here may feel a bit jerky because all it seems to use is the basic pedalec cadence sensing system but that's been standard for many years and it's nice that you get five levels to choose from.
  • The bike is kind of heavy at 57 pounds (26kg) but the frame itself is aluminum and it has a basic suspension fork in the front to help smooth out the ride.
  • Top speed is standard 20mph (32kph) and it looks like there is a "walk" function that will make the bike move slowly forward if you're walking it up a hill etc.
  • Offers mechanical disc brakes which look decent, seven speeds with Shimano components and a super low gear for easier climbing (or if the battery runs out). ergonomic grips, comfort saddle, very basic fenders which won't get kicked but the front one won't keep your feet or shins dry. Also appears to have a front LED light. The kickstand looks decent and I like that it has a water bottle cage.
Overall impression: This thing looks pretty decent (powerful, upgraded brakes, removable battery) and is a good deal at $1,499 but may be trickier to get serviced by local shops (I doubt Costco will service it). You can save some money buying an ebike like this but it almost becomes a throw-away when it starts falling apart vs. one from a more reputable brand with established relationships through local ebike dealers. Please keep in mind, this may be an incorrect assumption if Urban Ryder ebikes are actually stocked in other places besided Costco. Someday maybe Costco will service ebikes just like they do for car tires and stuff but I don't think that's the case today.

I like the suspension (though it won't have a lock out and may reduce efficiency through bob), the basic light is nice but be sure to add a rear light as well. The fenders are kind of for show; the back one will keep the stripe off your shirt but the front one won't do much. I like that the stem is adjustable (to create a more upright ride if you'd like). It only appears to come in one size which is likely Medium for average sized guys, the step-through Urban Cruzer is likely smaller and easier to mount being marketed towards women. In general, this is first-gen electric bike technology but the price is attractive and the powerful motor and battery aren't too bad :)

Here are some ebikes that have a similar design and drive system setup that you can use for comparison (both on price and with the videos to see how they work). Let me know if you have any other questions about this ebike and definitely check around for local ebike shops, tuneups can be expensive and required more often for electric bikes so you could end up getting a good deal on a more official ride and build a great relationship with a local retailer that will keep the bike going for you.
  • Motiv Shadow offers the same powerful 500 watt motor size and 48 volt battery but uses narrower tires and a sleeker head shock. It's also available with more colors and comes with a great warranty.
  • Hebb ElectroGlide 1000 offers the same 500 watt motor size but a smaller 37 volt battery. The frame is very similar but this bike offers a rack and full fenders with front and rear lights. It also uses a front hub motor vs. rear (which I view as inferior in terms of steering and traction).
  • EZ Pedaler Bikes are all very similar with the same battery layout but using the front hub motor (and a weaker motor). They offer fenders, rear rack etc.
  • eZip Skyline is a value driven electric bike that only costs ~$1K and uses the same mid-frame battery but relies on a chain drive side mounted motor that's a lot less powerful. Also, no racks, fenders or lights here.
I realize there aren't a whole lot of inexpensive well balanced ebikes out there that you can just go and buy straight away. many are offered online and require assembly (the Urban Ryder from Costco may as well). Let me know your thoughts on all of this and I can make some recommendations, especially if you share your budget. This bike appears to be decent and is using proven products that older generations of Pedego, Volton and others have used. It doesn't seem like a bad bike to me.

Has anyone ridden the Cruzer version of this bike? I'm researching all bikes that will fit my height 4'10" and as this is currently out of stock I can't test it. Does anyone know will it fit a shorter person?

Has anyone ridden the Cruzer version of this bike? I'm researching all bikes that will fit my height 4'10" and as this is currently out of stock I can't test it. Does anyone know will it fit a shorter person?
Hi Kez! I haven't tried that particular bike but I have tried many similar models and they do tend to work well for short people because the seat goes so low. Here's a similar ebike I've reviewed called the e-Joe Anggun and another one called the EZ Pedaler T500 (though it uses a front hub motor). Added a picture of the Urban Cruzer below for reference.

urban-cruzer-electric-bike.jpg

Thanks for that Court. I ended up getting the eProdigy Banff but good to know for others interested in that particular bike.

Back