UPP BATTERIES BANNED AND DANGEROUS

Thank you for this information. Anyone purchasing needs to do their own due diligence before buying.

In fairness to the "Truth", UPP Batteries have not been "banned". It is one particular type of UPP battery covered by two different model numbers. All other UPP Batteries are not banned, and are still for sale.

It appears that the headings in the Forum(s), and the verbiage in the news articles imply that all UPP batteries are banned, and are "officially" classified as dangerous by the UK regulatorty authority. This is not the positon of the UK regulatory authority issuing the alert.

This does not mean that I endorse the UPP batteries.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know about building batteries. I mean, you're looking at a bomb at your fingertips. Great skill to have, as all ev roads lead to the battery, but not something for the faint of heart.

Good to know. I had been looking at those. Think I'm going to buils my own when mine dies.
In my opinion there's a lot of set up cost to do it correctly and it's just not worth it as things seem to be getting more affordable and there are more/better choices than UPP and Liitokala. Especially if you're only going to build just one or two.

This new 29AH 52V "Fuel Tank" battery from Grin Tech caught my eye:
b-b5229li-dt_main_1.jpg

Pricey at $1150 US and at 17#, a lot of weight to mount high on a frame, but still an interesting product.

Oh, I don't know about building batteries. I mean, you're looking at a bomb at your fingertips. Great skill to have, as all ev roads lead to the battery, but not something for the faint of heart.
Piece of cake if you know what your doing.

In my opinion there's a lot of set up cost to do it correctly and it's just not worth it as things seem to be getting more affordable and there are more/better choices than UPP and Liitokala. Especially if you're only going to build just one or two.
My custom batteries are guaranteed for 2 miles or 5 minutes before they explode.

My understanding is that, that firm makes most of the high-end stable batteries for major high-end brand names to spec,. and it gives lower-end people what they demand on places like eBay; that is big cheap vulnerable batteries. with big specs. The low end market is huge. Just like the huge demand for crappy popular music. Does a music company ignore demand, even if it is all crap? So, do you want a big low cost battery, that is possibly unstable, risky? Or a higher quality battery that is somewhat smaller that costs a whole lot more?

wonder what happened to the diy screw together battery kits? micah toll used to endorse those things and are any sodium ion batteries on the market yet?

i thought the screw together packs that Micah toll endorsed were flawed because of contact issues in larger assemblies.

Those screw-type contacts are really bad for E-bike packs.
It may pass for a pack used in stationary storage. Even then, high-voltage creates hot spots at those interfaces, leading to higher resistance. An E-bike pack experiences much higher G-force (especially in MTBs). Cell terminal to bus bar contact is very important, and hence, everyone in the EV car world is using laser welding.

I've seen much nicer builds on this site by some.

There are much safer and validated methods: laser welding, wire bonding, etc.

If anyone is interested, here is a world-class battery pack engineering [ used in Lucid battery packs]. When you see this video, you will realize most E-bike packs are so far behind in terms of tech.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see that sodium ion cells are available from sriko, a US based seller

They are only 3.0V. Probably need 16 cells in series for 48V. And the capacity is about 2/3 of Li-ion. I did some numbers and the tradeoff is about a 2.4X increase in size for the same capacity and voltage, ignoring any weight changes.

Seems just as feasible as the LiFePO4 cells. Maybe we'll see them soon in bikes where battery shape/size doesn't impact the styling, like cargo bikes and trikes.

Last edited:
Back